Bord Gais enters the domestic electricity market

The cynic in me is wondering what the catch is though!

'Switchover fee' maybe?

It mentions that you will be able to change back to ESB at no cost but doesn't seem to specifically say that it's free to change to Bord Gáis in the first place.

'Switchover fee' maybe?

It mentions that you will be able to change back to ESB at no cost but doesn't seem to specifically say that it's free to change to Bord Gáis in the first place.

Good point. Will try and find out

I can't find anything on their website yet. I'd be interested to have a look at their terms and conditions and whether, as with Airtricity, you have to fulfill certain conditions to get the full 10%.

It's great to see some competition at last but it is also slightly disappointing to see the two new entrants both arrive at the same 10% discount. It reminds me of the first years of telecoms competition, still better than a poke in the eye though!

I can't find anything on their website yet. I'd be interested to have a look at their terms and conditions and whether, as with Airtricity, you have to fulfill certain conditions to get the full 10%.

It's great to see some competition at last but it is also slightly disappointing to see the two new entrants both arrive at the same 10% discount. It reminds me of the first years of telecoms competition, still better than a poke in the eye though!

What are the conditions for Airtricity?

10% of an already inflated price would not compel me to move from the ESB.

Considering the increases mandated by the regulator over the recent past the discount would need to be in the region of 30% before I would consider it.

IF for Example Bord Gais workers decided to take industrial action at some point would one not run the risk of having both their electricity and Gas cut off?

Too big a risk for 10% imo.

10% of an already inflated price would not compel me to move from the ESB.

Considering the increases mandated by the regulator over the recent past the discount would need to be in the region of 30% before I would consider it.

IF for Example Bord Gais workers decided to take industrial action at some point would one not run the risk of having both their electricity and Gas cut off?

Too big a risk for 10% imo.

Its the promise to be lower by 10% than the ESB no matter what ESB do with prices for the next three years that is attractive. The regulator will force ESB to drop prices this year as well. 10% cheaper is still 10% cheaper.

As for fears of striking, I don't really see it as valid objection. ESB workers are more likely to go strike as things stand and then your gas heating etc won't work anyway if the power goes even if Bord Gais workers don't strike.

What are the conditions for Airtricity?

Pay by DD, monthly billing, e-billing and sign up to their level payment plan.

I see that Bord Gais offer a 12% discount if you are an existing gas customer.

askalot; can you tell me where you saw the 12% discount being offered? I have looked at the bord gais website and cant find it.
Also is this 12% a similar offer to airtricity,in that it will remain 12% cheaper than ESB?
Thanks

Here:

It says:
Only customers with open Bord Gáis Energy Supply natural gas accounts may register.

Is that the case? We dont have Bord Gais in my area...

Was thinking the very same thing - can only be good for the consumer overall though imo.

Excuse my ignorance, but how will Bord Gais deliver electricity?

i.e. Is this another form of Irish pseudo-competition whereby Bord Gais will be paying the ESB to use their infrastructure, in the same way as other telecom providers have to lease bandwidth from Eircom?

askalot; can you tell me where you saw the 12% discount being offered? I have looked at the bord gais website and cant find it.
Also is this 12% a similar offer to airtricity,in that it will remain 12% cheaper than ESB?
Thanks

Today's Indo :

"Existing Bord Gais customers can look forward to slightly higher savings, with the gas company promising a rate per unit of electricity which will be around 12pc below the charge per unit levied for by the ESB."

http://www.independent.ie/national-...lls-before-supplying-electricity-1643149.html

small print on their website

Guaranteed minimum savings of 10%* off ESB rates

* The discount stated is off the applicable ESB domestic tariff unit rate and applies to the first year's consumption. Thereafter the Bord Gáis Energy standard discount tariff will apply which is guaranteed to be at least 5% below ESB unit rates for years two and three of this offer. Terms and conditions apply.

small print on their website

Guaranteed minimum savings of 10%* off ESB rates

* The discount stated is off the applicable ESB domestic tariff unit rate and applies to the first year's consumption. Thereafter the Bord Gáis Energy standard discount tariff will apply which is guaranteed to be at least 5% below ESB unit rates for years two and three of this offer. Terms and conditions apply.

Thanks for that because today's Indo says:

''When it launches its new service today Bord Gais will be giving a guarantee to new customers that it will undercut the ESB domestic electricity rate by 10pc for a minimum of three years''.

So always read the small print is today's lesson.

Back