Best option for heating a bedroom

Can anyone give an insight into how Super Sers fed from a portable gas cylinder compare to Halogen heaters and other options like gas central heating etc in terms of cost?

I don't think these would be the best thing for a bedroom. They burn off a lot of oxygen.
Leo

Would'nt put a superser in a bedroom. Just think of Carbon Monoxide poisoning!! Colourless, tasteless and odourless. Deadly dangerous.

Thinking of buying an electric blanket - never used one before, buy you guys are tempting me into buying one.

So looking for recommendations on which one to buy and where to buy? Can't afford anything too expensive.

Thanks in advance, i've suffered as much of this cold as I can bear!

Hi Rois,

I didn't want to spend too much either and picked up one on sale from Argos, the Winterwarm King dual matress, regular €84 down to €56.

I understand why the timer would be beneficial but didn't want to spend too much for a first go. Did for sure want the dual controls and the argos.co.uk website has good reviews.

hope you keep warm!
addob

I heard there very bright though, are they like those blinding halogen lights on cars......

No not at all - they are bright I suppose, for a heater but you can easily look directly at them even close up, no problem. They give off a kind of atmospheric pale orange glow I guess.

Would'nt put a superser in a bedroom. Just think of Carbon Monoxide poisoning!! Colourless, tasteless and odourless. Deadly dangerous.

Didn't do me any harm in my youth - the Super Ser got me through my Inter/Leaving Cert studying (when I wasn't burning magnesium ribbon acquired from the school science lab on the front burners).

After reading this thread I also marched over to Argos yesterday and purchased one.
One what? One electric blanket, or one Gurlfwend Model 1.5 with Breakfast Making Upgrade?

Having grown up in a 3-bed house, with 11 people (2 parents, 9 kids), I have to recommend the hearty family - two or three to a bed - big coal fire (sorry, Mary Harney) in most of the rooms, and lots of heat generated through normal family disputes! Hey, are we in a new century? Cop on, y'all, we're totally spoiled - we don't go around most of the time at home with icicles hanging from our nostrils and all the rest of that stuff - so, what a luxury to have an electric blanket at night in the bedroom! :)

I don't think these would be the best thing for a bedroom. They burn off a lot of oxygen.
Leo

I wasnt asking necessarily for bedroom usage but if used sensibly it should be ok. What interests me is whether it is any cheaper than turning a rad on, starting a fossil fuel fire, turning a fireplace gas fire on or using a halogen heater. The great thing about the super ser is portability and convenience. It can be turned on in a few seconds and turned off when the room is warmed up. It can also be moved from room to room. I'm curious about determining whether it is the cheapest form of heat obtainable or whether anything cheaper exists.

Didn't do me any harm in my youth - the Super Ser got me through my Inter/Leaving Cert studying (when I wasn't burning magnesium ribbon acquired from the school science lab on the front burners).

I used to have one in my bedroom for my inter/leaving cert studying too. I remember it was pretty cheap to run back then.

The problem I'm finding with my bedroom is that while it's easy enough to heat it to a comfortable degree to fall asleep in, within a few hours the room is so cold again that I wake up freezing several times during the night. I've tried timing the electric heater to come on for 20 minutes every few hours, but I don't seem to be able to get the timing exactly right. Basically it seems I would have to leave the heat on more or less all night to ensure I stay asleep... which is a bit too expensive.

Any suggestions? I slept on the sofa in the living room (which has storage heating!) last night and got the best sleep I've had in days... but I don't think that's really a long-term solution...

Why not get a timer plug for your electric blanket so that it comes on every hour.

Have a look at this [broken link removed]

Basically 3.5 hours electric blanket use is the same as boiling a kettle of water.

This is probably a stupid question but do the modern electric blankets actually give off any heat or do they only warm up the parts of your body actually touching them? The reason I ask is that if it's the latter I don't think it would help in my situation. I'm already bundled up like an eskimo in bed (socks, pyjamas, tracksuit, big jumper, outdoor sleeping bag and two duvets) and I still wake up every couple hours because my face gets too cold.

This is probably a stupid question but do the modern electric blankets actually give off any heat or do they only warm up the parts of your body actually touching them? The reason I ask is that if it's the latter I don't think it would help in my situation. I'm already bundled up like an eskimo in bed (socks, pyjamas, tracksuit, big jumper, outdoor sleeping bag and two duvets) and I still wake up every couple hours because my face gets too cold.
Have you tried a hoody?

Bloody hell! I must be superhuman - I only put on pyjamas last night for the first time since I don't know when. One normal duvet - that's it.

Hi Brooklyn,

The blanket warms up the bed, not just where your body is but all of the bedding. It doesn't give off heat to anywhere outside the bed so your face wouldn't be any warmer but the rest of your body would.

Hope that helps!
addob

Bloody hell! I must be superhuman - I only put on pyjamas last night for the first time since I don't know when. One normal duvet - that's it.

I'm sure it's me. As the name indicates, I'm not from around here. Where I come from we have 24/7 central heating. I just can't get used to the cold bedroom at night.

Anyway, I think I found a compromise solution. Since it's so cold now I've been putting on the storage heater in the hallway, which I wouldn't normally use, and just leaving my bedroom door open to get some of that heat. The bedroom still isn't quite as warm as I'd like it to be, but it's tolerable.

I am in Croatia at the moment for work reasons and the apartment block I am staying in is heated 24 7 with a flat rate for the heating bill split amongst everyone who lives here. This includes unlimited hot water. The most ever paid for heating even during the coldest month for unlimited heat and hot water was 370 Croatian kuna = 50.73171 Euro for a month. I hear its warmer here than back in Ireland ! When I lived in Finland it wasnt much different. It was the same type of system. The heat and warm water was unlimited and split between all the residents and was very cheap. My apartment is like a sauna its so warm day and night ! Hence my questions earlier in the thread of course apply to when I shortly return to Ireland !

Just curious - was this a domestic house? Who was paying for 24/7 CH?

Yes, every house or apartment I've ever lived in the US had it (although obviously you can turn it off in the summer), it's standard, I've never known anyone except for very poor people who didn't have it.

Most of the time the owner/renter pays for it on a usage basis, although I did once live in an apartment in upstate NY where it was included in the rent.

It's a lot cheaper there.

Back