Best option for heating a bedroom

PaddyW

Hi, looking for best options for heating up my bedroom. There is a radiator in there, but even with this on the place is very hard to heat up. I was thinking a convection heater maybe, but not sure if that will use a large amount of energy or not. All help welcome, thanks.

Increase the size of your radiator, from a single panel to a double panel type.

Maybe turn on the electric blanket, get into bed, pull duvet up to chin and get warm as toast. After all, what else is the bedroom for? If you want to sit up and read, get a Snugglie and wrap yourself up. No need for expensive heaters or change of rad. Works for me. :)

Maybe turn on the electric blanket, get into bed, pull duvet up to chin and get warm as toast. After all, what else is the bedroom for? If you want to sit up and read, get a Snugglie and wrap yourself up. No need for expensive heaters or change of rad. Works for me. :)

I love my electric blanket but I've often fallen asleep with it on and had the best sleep ever. Is this expensive ?

Isn't it worth a lot to get a good, warm night's sleep - and I don't think the cost is prohibitive. We left ours on accidentally for almost a month while we were away, at the lowest setting, and it didn't add too much to the leckie bill. So, enjoy the comfort!

My electric blanket has a timer option, so you can leave it on for approx an hour while you are falling asleep, and then it cuts itself off automatically.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions! Can't change the rad as the house isn't mine.. The electric blanket may be a runner!

Must look into that when mine stops working - it's 12 years old at the moment and still going strong! Just have to remind hubby to check next time - the control is on his side.:)

Just purchased a nice electric blanket from powercity online there. I feel warmer already!!

Glad you found a nice easy solution Paddy!

The 3 things we did to our house were : 1) well insulated attic, 2) dry lined the external walls (internal insulation) and 3) replaced our boiler. These 3 things have made our house much much warmer. We also added controls to make the heating more efficient.

Treated myself to an electric blanket after listening to relatives (much younger than me) saying how much they loved their electric blanket. I didn't realise how much better these blankets are compared with the old models. I bought one that fits onto the mattress like a fitted sheet. They can be bought with either single or dual control, and with extra heat at the feet area. Mine allows me to set it for 12 hours or 75 minutes or indefinitely, at heat levels 1 - 9. Brilliant.

Keep warm.:)

Just purchased a nice electric blanket from powercity online there. I feel warmer already!!
Make sure you get one with a time and with (the solution to much inter-marital strife) dual controls (unless of course you marry a control freak who want to control the temp on your side as well as her own). :mad:

Well, Complainer - looks like it's time for me to invest in a new leckie blankie! Dual controls, goes on like a fitted sheet, timer - what next - will it sing lullabyes? :)

I would highly recommend a good cheap option- a halogen heater. They are cheap to buy and cheap to run. A 1200watt heater costs approx 1 unit of electricity per hour to run.
You switch it on and it heats up a room instantly- it's surprising how quickly it warms up a room- there is also a nice glow from it and it has a safety switch on the bottom so if it tips over, then it switches off automatically.

I would highly recommend a good cheap option- a halogen heater. They are cheap to buy and cheap to run. A 1200watt heater costs approx 1 unit of electricity per hour to run.
You switch it on and it heats up a room instantly- it's surprising how quickly it warms up a room- there is also a nice glow from it and it has a safety switch on the bottom so if it tips over, then it switches off automatically.

1200W same thing almost as using a one bar 1000W electric fire, might look better but running costs are the same pro rata or do halogen heaters give out more heat per kw than equivelant electric fires?

or is it all in our imagination, I dunno :(

Install Gurlfwend Model 1.5 with Breakfast Making Upgrade.

;)

ONQ.

After reading this thread I also marched over to Argos yesterday and purchased one.

Slept like a baby last night!

Thanks for the advice all!!

I'm curious about the cheapest way to heat a room.

Can anyone give an insight into how Super Sers fed from a portable gas cylinder compare to Halogen heaters and other options like gas central heating etc in terms of cost?

http://www.lpg-portable-heaters.co.uk/superser-f150-radiant.htm

To have a definitive idea of the cheapest way to heat a room could save people a lot of money on fuel bills. My heating bill this winter has been painful to say the least.

Thinking of buying an electric blanket - never used one before, buy you guys are tempting me into buying one.

So looking for recommendations on which one to buy and where to buy? Can't afford anything too expensive.

Thanks in advance, i've suffered as much of this cold as I can bear!

Back