Affordable housing interview

Look, I'm not trying to offend. Invariably when you talk on the phone, or get a letter, from council admin staff you'll simply receive a standard reply. When so many people are in the same boat this is what happens, the people involved just become overwhelmed with work and throw out the same answers. If you follow through with this you'll end up getting a different answer, some other reason that shows why you received less 'points' than the people above you on the list.

Howitzer said:
Look, I'm not trying to offend. Invariably when you talk on the phone, or get a letter, from council admin staff you'll simply receive a standard reply. When so many people are in the same boat this is what happens, the people involved just become overwhelmed with work and throw out the same answers. If you follow through with this you'll end up getting a different answer, some other reason that shows why you received less 'points' than the people above you on the list.

I appreciate that and I am not offended. I agree completely with your point. I will get another reason, that's for sure. Still, I find it hard to shrug and get on with it without making some sort of a stand - albeit one that will more than likely result in nothing. Perhaps even this thread will bring about some small change. Who knows?

I have unapproved a recent post in this thread (i.e. you won't be able to see it). Please keep the posts civil and "non-inflammatory".

If this thread requires further moderation as a result of the actions of those who have already been warned, it will be locked.

marygold said:
And maybe anyone know what is the waiting list for the South Dublin County Council?

They told me around over 100 people wating on affordable housing on each side of the Naas Road. I am about to apply (though I am not in any rush to be honest myself)

I spoke with the solicitor in Citizens advice. He confirmed what Howitzer said above. He did say that I should try to get an answer off them, but not to push too hard as you can get blacklisted by councils and you won't even know you are on a blacklist. He said it is a delicate matter as you really can't predict what councils will do, and whether your enquiry will get you noted for the right or wrong reasons.
Goodluck to any of the rest of you going for these houses. I think I have taken this as far as I can. If I do get a response from council or councillor I will let ye know.

annR said:
Fatfrog

I applied in May 2004, was offered to view apartment in Sept, signed for it in Feb and moved in Easter 2006 . I also found Fingal CC to be very efficient. They went through my finances with a toothcomb at the time . . .I find it hard to believe they would tolerate me renting it out or breaking the rules.

All the CC seem to operate differently . . I think it's terrible they would send people letters out saying they're unsuccessful and I don't like the lottery systems either. Fingal CC and also South Dublin CC seemed very willing to sit down and tell you what the problem was and what you needed to do. Fingal was great.

Just in relation to Fingal, I've been for the interview and have received a certificate for provisional approval with the shared ownership/affordable housing. Do i now just wait for them to contact me?

I think so. Does it say anything on the approval what the next step is. You could always ask them. I found that if you ring them up and ask the right question, come across as reasonable, that is the best way to get some kind of answer. No one can give out to you for ringing up and asking a few straightforward questions.

annR said:
I think so. Does it say anything on the approval what the next step is. You could always ask them. I found that if you ring them up and ask the right question, come across as reasonable, that is the best way to get some kind of answer. No one can give out to you for ringing up and asking a few straightforward questions.

No it doesn't say anything about the next step. I'll give them a buzz and see what they say. Thanks for your help.

I applied to South Dublin CC last July ( 05 ) and got approval the same month. I was told at the interview things were moving very fast and I would be called for a viewing within 10 - 12 weeks at the most. It's now April and I'm still waiting. On phoning the CC in the new year I was told because I'd applied for a home North of the Naas road, I could be waiting for up to another 12 months - properties North of the Naas Road were very slow coming in and that was the delay but they were faster coming in South of the Naas Road. When I phoned later the same day and reversed the story and said I'd applied for South of the Naas Road I was told they were faster coming in North of the Naas Road and slower South of the Naas Road and this way the delay ??????
I have recently applied for the new Affordable Housing Initiative and gone through the whole process and I'm still getting no where regarding getting any information from SDCC.
I don't want it to seem like I'm having a go at the staff up in the offices I'm sure they're just as p**d off with me ringing me everyday, but is anyone else frustrated and feel like banging their head off a wall.
LL

I got a place of my own with fingal co co(its a lovely house in a lovely estate- my next door neighbour is a guard and a nurse on the other side) it took me a year after I applied to get offered places- when I applied there was no points system no draws just first come first serve(which I think is the big adv. with fingal) and you can turn down something you dont like and your not put to the back of the list having applied to all 4 dublin local authoritys I think fingal runs the best system. And IMO is the one to apply to- hell I would apply to them all.

At the moment SDCC don't have a lottery in place, you apply and once approved you're put on the list and as housing comes up it's allocated to you, but I haven't got a clue whats going on with the new scheme. I have a funny feeling that it might be a lottery system or something similar as they're very cagey and won't give out any information in relation to the allocation of viewings and how they decide your place on the list.

Back