Affordable housing interview

I applied to Fingal CC in September last year and got the keys for my house in March.(under shared-ownership, same list as affordable with Fingal as far as i am aware) Found Fingal to be excellent, very helpful efficient staff. Viewed the house mid January, was loan approved and had house snagged within 8 weeks. Everything went without a hitch. Good Luck!!

what kind of house did you get on the scheme? was it expensive? have a an impression in my head they are cheapy kind of houses with thin walls, am i totally wrong? hope so:)

I got a 2 bed town house. Built to the same standard as everyone else's in the estate, albeit a bit smaller. Has 2 fine size bedrooms(no wardrobes) big bathroom, downstairs toilet, kitchen, sitting room, hall and back garden. Got professional to snag it and was told it was a very well built house, cant hear anything from the neighbours house unless there is work going on eg drilling, tile cutting etc. Obviously when i buy the council out, i will be paying market value for it but for now the shared ownership rate is all i can afford on my own.

chears for the info, what percentage of the house could you buy? say the house was 220,000, could you buy 60% of it? that would work out at 132,000 then what happens the other 40%?

Ive read the Oasis website, just interested to know how an actual example works out

Hi BobDobalina,

Im in the very same situation as yourself. I received a letter last week telling me I was unsuccessful also. As far as I was concerned I had all the requirements they were looking for. I have my name on the list the last 2.5 years so who knows when I would get called again. It could be another few years. I didn't ring the Council to find out why, I didn't think there was any point. I also spoke with Councillors who were to make a representation on my behalf but don't know if that ever happened. Im very disappointed over it and am back to square one now.

househunter7 said:
what kind of house did you get on the scheme? was it expensive? have a an impression in my head they are cheapy kind of houses with thin walls, am i totally wrong? hope so:)

Totally wrong! They are gorgeous! The one I applied for is in a private estate where people have paid 250-360 for houses. 3/4 of them are affordable !

Also guys I just rememberd...I contacted 4 councilors regarding making representations on my behalf for one oof these houses. One rang me back and I thought great until he said to be ..... I heard you are on an interview panel for a ..certain position.....I know someone who wants the job!!!!

So it looks like corruption all round! TUT TUT

Fatfrog

I applied in May 2004, was offered to view apartment in Sept, signed for it in Feb and moved in Easter 2006 . I also found Fingal CC to be very efficient. They went through my finances with a toothcomb at the time . . .I find it hard to believe they would tolerate me renting it out or breaking the rules.

All the CC seem to operate differently . . I think it's terrible they would send people letters out saying they're unsuccessful and I don't like the lottery systems either. Fingal CC and also South Dublin CC seemed very willing to sit down and tell you what the problem was and what you needed to do. Fingal was great.

Emer said:
Hi BobDobalina,

Im in the very same situation as yourself. I received a letter last week telling me I was unsuccessful also. As far as I was concerned I had all the requirements they were looking for. I have my name on the list the last 2.5 years so who knows when I would get called again. It could be another few years. I didn't ring the Council to find out why, I didn't think there was any point. I also spoke with Councillors who were to make a representation on my behalf but don't know if that ever happened. Im very disappointed over it and am back to square one now.

I am sorry to hear that, Emer. I know how it feels. You should give them a call to see where you fell. I know it doesn't do much good, but you should call them anyway. At least let them know how disappointed you are.

I am waiting to see how my own councillors get on on my behalf. One has responded to me and said she will look into it. I am close to giving up on it though, and giving up on politics in general.

BobDobalina said:
I am waiting to see how my own councillors get on on my behalf. One has responded to me and said she will look into it. I am close to giving up on it though, and giving up on politics in general.

Judybaby73 said:
I contacted 4 councilors regarding making representations on my behalf for one oof these houses.

Youse have some cheek. Moaning away here about how corrupt the system is when youse were quite happy to engage a councillor yourselves to progress your own application. Giving out that there was no transparency to why you were refused a house whilst at the same being equally culpable in manipulating the system.

The idea is that there is a transparent system which rewards the most needy, not those with the best connections.

Unbelievable. And here was me feeling sorry for youse.

Howitzer said:
Youse have some cheek. Moaning away here about how corrupt the system is when youse were quite happy to engage a councillor yourselves to progress your own application. Giving out that there was no transparency to why you were refused a house whilst at the same being equally culpable in manipulating the system.

The idea is that there is a transparent system which rewards the most needy, not those with the best connections.

What a load of <edit>. First and foremost I never said it was corrupt just unfaiir! The <edit> County Council told me to contact my local councilors anyway.
I don't see anything wrong with contacting them.That's what they get paid to do for heavens sakes. They are there to make representations on our behalf in areas of social policy.:p
By the way ..I never wanted you to feel sorry for me and glad you don't anymore.

Howitzer said:

This is a patently false allegation. I am contacting a councillor to find out the reasons why I failed to get a house, and to see if there is any review process. I am not seeking to promote this corruption. It makes me <edit> sick. I am trying to fight this issue in the only way I can. Apart from lying down and taking it, what would you suggest I do, Howitzer? Or would you say I should simply take it - better luck next time and all that. As far as I can see I have only two options to find out what is going on. Get a councillor to ask questions, or go the legal route. I am pretty sure neither will result in anything at all, but goddamnit I am not going to lie down like many do and say 'ah sure, that's the way'.

Bob and Judy, I have edited the obscenities in your last two posts. Next time the whole post will simply be deleted.

And everybody, please keep it civil — as per the .

DrMoriarty said:
Bob and Judy, I have edited the obscenities in your last two posts. Next time the whole post will simply be deleted.

Apologies for the outburst, Dr. It's a very emotive issue for me at the mo. But I'll keep a civil toungue here! Going to get free legal today so I'll post what I find out here this evening or tomorrow.

DrMoriarty said:

I'm thought mine was "edited"enough but sincere apologies if it wasn't!

BobDobalina said:
Apologies for the outburst, Dr. It's a very emotive issue for me at the mo. But I'll keep a civil toungue here! Going to get free legal today so I'll post what I find out here this evening or tomorrow.

Hard to keep civil when accusations like this are going around.Make sure you let us know how it works out and best of luck. I'm sure you'll need it.

I've been very careful with my words on this thread due to the topic involved.
Judybaby73 said:
First and foremost I never said it was corrupt just unfaiir!
Judybaby73 said:
Also guys I just rememberd...I contacted 4 councilors regarding making representations on my behalf for one oof these houses. One rang me back and I thought great until he said to be ..... I heard you are on an interview panel for a ..certain position.....I know someone who wants the job!!!!

So it looks like corruption all round!
??

Ok, so it's very easy for me to sit back smoking my pipe and tut tuting about moral values and all that because I haven't invested my time and energy into it. But I described in detail at the start of this thread exactly what the process was and how, by design, you will always find that the people who got the houses had more points than you. It's this system that you should be addressing.

Am I saying you should just accept it? Yes. I'd be surprised if the legal opinions you're seaking came to any other conclusion. But I'm sure they'll charge you all the same and merely prolong the process for you.
Judybaby73 said:
I don't see anything wrong with contacting them.That's what they get paid to do for heavens sakes. They are there to make representations on our behalf in areas of social policy.
Well I personally don't believe they should have ANY input into these decisions. They are there, in this instance, to ensure there are transparent and fair systems in place and after that they should have no involvement, or more importantly no opportunity to become involved. Any reasons should be available to you via a FOI request. You may not have taken this councillor up on his generous offer but others may not be as honest.

The fact is that there are literally tens of thousands of people who qualify for these schemes but only a handful of places. There are numerous responses on this thread from people who availed of the Dublin Co Co's and found everything completely fair and above board. What's different between their systems and the one in place where you applied?

I think it's right to contact local councillors to inform them of problems with procedures, but not to try to influence situations.

Free legal aid, so the taxpayer is paying then?

Whilst I can empathise with your situation what makes you think that some great injustice has taken place? There are literally thousands of people in the same boat as you. Obvioiusly I don't know your particular circumstances but I can't imagine there can really be anything unlawful here. What will you be bringing to the attention of your solicitor?

The fact that the couple that was described earlier manipulated the system merely reflects on their application and not yours.

madisona said:
I don't believe you when you say that you are "only" using them to find out why you were refused. I sure these councillers are making all sort of promises.
the ironic thing is I'm not sure how much of an influence they have on the officials who decide who gets the houses. Personnaly I think that given the level of corruption that they should either be allocated by lottery or else by the Department of the Enviroment.

Whether you believe me or not is a personal matter. We are all but faceless handles here - we can say what we like. No councillor has ever promised me anything, nor have I ever asked for anything inappropriate. If I were to show you the letter I sent to councillors and TDs you would see that I am asking for the entire process to be reviewed. I had contacted citizens advice and they informed me that I was entitled to know the reasons on which I fell. I contacted ONE councillor asking them to find this out for me, seeing as how the council has not been forthcoming with these reasons.

I believe it is my duty to contact the council, councillors, TD's and the law when I have experience of a system paid for by the taxpayer which appears to be administired unfairly.

I believe I will get nothing out of this. I believe I will get nothing from the County Council, nothing from the Councillors or TDs, and nothing from the law (Howitzer - it is free legal aid). But I believe that I should inform everyone I can about this lack of transparency so that there is some small chance of something being done about it.

I believe that if we did nothing when faced with injustice then we are part of the problem and not part of the solution.

Howitzer said:
Free legal aid, so the taxpayer is paying then?
Yes. Do you have a problem with that? You can use the service too you know. It is a public one. FLAC - they provide advice along the lines of citizens advice. What problem do you see here?

Howitzer said:
Whilst I can empathise with your situation what makes you think that some great injustice has taken place? There are literally thousands of people in the same boat as you. Obvioiusly I don't know your particular circumstances but I can't imagine there can really be anything unlawful here. What will you be bringing to the attention of your solicitor?
No great injustice, just a simple injustice. As far as I can see, as I quoted before, I lost out on points for not having a deposit when I had given the council evidence that I had money for a deposit. I simply need to know if this was the sole reason for my missing out, and if not then what were those reasons so I can correct them, or drop off the list.

Back