Affordable housing Dunlaoghaire Rathdown-Parkview, Belarmine & Thornwood

The council has looked at whether people might be able to stretch to afford these units and presumably in some cases skipped applicants. I mean the price for these in this area is a great reduction but still not really what many people would call "affordable".

hey guys,

I had an interview with dun l rathdown 2 weeks ago. Even though i am only 109 on county list i was told if i could raise enough for a two bed in beacon south quater then i would be pretty much offered one right away.

Unfortunatley im buying on my own and cant afford this so will have to wait for a one bed wherever they come up.

Dont you think its strange that im so far down the list to be made an informal offer, unless all 109 people have already turned it down which doesnt seem right!!!

any ideas?

Hey devonclose - glad to hear the interview went well. when I was interviewed a few months ago I was in the 80s on the county list and not on any of the other lists. I think Im in the 60's now. DLR COCO sent a list to Sherry Fitz of people interested in BSQ and apparently I was in the 20's on that list. I think that if the council suspect that anyone can afford the Beacon apartments they'll just push them for that.

They see it as quite a coup to have got apartments in the development so dont want to be left in the embarrasing position of not being able to fill them. Once they get any sniff that you are interested in BSQ they will push you that way. I'd imagine it is out of budget for quite a few people as they are pricey compared to the others. I think Parkview, Belarmine and Ballintyre (2 beds) all come in around 235k - 250k and these should be available sometime in the new year. The one beds are around 180k as far as I know?

I wonder if we are on target for a good deal at all.

The prospect of paying a service charge of €2,500 per year for an appartment which is situate on top of two floors of social houses is beginning to loose its appeal. I have no issue with social housing but i don't like the idea of having to live on top of it. The alternative of paying 50-60k less for a bigger apartment in parkview where the service charge is much lower is beginning to sound more tempting.

I wonder if we are on target for a good deal at all.

The prospect of paying a service charge of €2,500 per year for an appartment which is situate on top of two floors of social houses is beginning to loose its appeal. I have no issue with social housing but i don't like the idea of having to live on top of it. The alternative of paying 50-60k less for a bigger apartment in parkview where the service charge is much lower is beginning to sound more tempting.

Thats something I pretty much ask myself every day! If you're worried about something like social housing (even though I know you have no issue) then bear in mind that there will be an entire site of social housing and an 8 bay halting site right beside parkview. Also the public transport that serves Parkview cant compare to BSQ. BSQ would also be easier to rent a room. True, they are only the positives - you can argue it is a building site, the spare room barely fits a double bed, you're living in an industrial estate, the management fees are high.

I've been living in the area (close to Kilmacud Luas stop) for 3 years now and to be honest I can never live anywhere to rely on a bus again. The Luas has killed me in that way. The Luas will eventually go to Stepaside but will still be a good way from Parkview. The apartments in Parkview are appealing size wise but from what I've seen recently the traffic from Stepaside to the M50 in the morning it awful.

BSQ is a risk but at the end of the day but I know it suits my circumstances! And if I do get one there you can be sure the concierge will earn every penny of the management fee :p

I've been living in the area (close to Kilmacud Luas stop) for 3 years now and to be honest I can never live anywhere to rely on a bus again. :p

Absolutely dead right. A Dublin Bus route to your door is the biggest false sense of security which a man can have. I unfortunately have the 49 at my current gaff, and I had high hopes of flying into town on the bus lanes in the morning. 6 weeks later I'm on a scooter.

Luas, train, bicycle or motorbike!

F&*% those shower of unorganised boll^&£ !

Rant over!

I'll know a bit more soon enough what the story is for me. The big thing about BSQ is definitely the transport. The big down side is the industrial estate area. I didn't know about the social housing side of things. I haven't really been up there much yet but they seem to be on the edge of the industrial area? That might not be so bad. What was with them fitting it out like a hotel eh? All black units and dark marbled bathrooms :)

A big benefit of Stepaside is a bigger apt for less money but no transport links which isn't really realistic if you are buying single I think.....even if you have a car. It makes it a lot more difficult to rent out a room

Does anyone know if first active will be eventually coming on board to offer mortgages for affordable with dun l rathdown?

At the moment they do affordable motgages for other councils but have yet to be comfirmed with dun l. i am able to get a higher mortgage with first active than with the other 3 banks but so frustrating that i cant use it!!!!!

Hi Devonclose,

Are u certain they are not already approved. I'd imagine Dun Laoghaire RD Co Co would have not difficulty with a bank which will us borrow a little more than the others.

In fact the qualification criteria for BSQ is a bit silly. You need to be earning less than 40k yet be able to borrow over 7 times your income. I know they have relaxed the 40k thing somewhat but a lot of us will end borrowing at large multibles of our income.

I have an appointment with first active tomorrow afternoon so i'm pretty disappointed to learn that they may not be approved.

I was only aware of the 3 lenders when I went to DLRCOCO.
Has anyone any word on when these will be ready?
I'm at the end of my rental lease and am not sure how much if anything I can extend it by - I really don't like the current pace of things - completely different to how the council has originally stated it would be.

It still appears to be 3 lenders. Has anyone gotten to the stage of actually handing over money? Were you told about the possibility of 5000 having to be paid to the developers?

I thought we were handing 300k over to Mr Shovlin the developer. I recall Mary from DLRD Co Co advising me that the council had to get about 2k admin fee but not too sure on that.

I don't think I asked enough questions, I might have to ring back and ask more :) I was advised an amount to have.....3% for the deposit, an amount of 5000 (which seems way excessive going by others) for solicitors, snagging fees etc and another 5000 payable to the developers.

Plus, they said that Parkview would most likely be gone for me that it woud be BSQ provided I could raise the mortgage.

Lets see what I was told:-
3% deposit - 300K total, Council fees around 1K + solicitors fees. Viewing in November, snagging in December. Floors 1-3 Social, 4-6 Affordable 60 odd apartments
Now its changed to €5K deposit, All 70 apts affordable, viewing maybe in Dec, maybe Jan who knows!
I'd be afraid to get on to the council to hear the latest as its different every time!

Another question: Being on the BSQ does this remove you from the other apartments (such as Parkview etc)? I was only ever pushed towards BSQ despite enquiring about the other places!

They mentioned that they expected viewing should be starting in the next couple of weeks and that if I got mortgage approval I should ring them straight away to tell them, not to wait on the forms. They said that it could all be very quick.

Does anyone know what sort of flooring comes with these? Wood? Or the basic bare concrete. It all seems very haphazard considering the amount of difference between the apartments on offer. I'm down for a 2 bed.

I handed in my approval in principal forms about a month ago! Again they had said this with a sense of urgency, the sooner you do it the better.

I think they are all 2 bed. The floors are tiled in the bathrooms but the rest will be just concrete - I think the popular choice is wood laminate flooring - depending on the contract (some places maybe BSQ too) you can't put down certain types of wooden flooring cause of the noise.

Laminate is usually cheaper anyway. If you look at some of the cubes apartments for sale on myhome.ie a good few of them have some sort of wooden flooring.

Another question: Being on the BSQ does this remove you from the other apartments (such as Parkview etc)? I was only ever pushed towards BSQ despite enquiring about the other places!

I dont think so - they are just trying to fill BSQ as a priority as it is the first one available. If you reject a BSQ offer I'd imagine you could still be offered 1 more apartment in another development.

Back