Affordable housing Dunlaoghaire Rathdown-Parkview, Belarmine & Thornwood

Hello fellow Applicants,

I had a meeting with DL RD Co Co about six weeks ago, at the time, I was told to go and get loan approval in principal and i'd be hearing from the co co with an offer shortly. Rang up today and was told that it looks like it will be June before I get an offer.

Has anyone heard anything from DL RD Co Co with an offer. It would be interesting to know if they have started to offer such as Parkview etc to anyone yet.

I'm surprised to hear that Artois! I too have been led to believe offers will be made in the near future, before Christmas. A friend of mine met with DLR Co co last week and he too was told offers will be made before Christmas! My understanding was that all of the apartments are built and ready to allocate, wonder what is causing the delay till June?!

Hi FTB81,

I'm down the list somewhat hence June may apply to me however somebody else could get sorted alot sooner. I do find that the information you get from DL RD Co Co varies greatly. I tend not to contact them too often however on the few occasions I have, their projected timeline seems to flucuate greatly.

We have all heard about Parkview apartments being ready. The only way we know they are getting anywhere is if they start offering them to us. The council seemes to be very much at the mercy of the developers who seem to be giving them the run around.

Has anyone seen the apartments in Parkview? What are they like?

I had a look at the Parkview apartments they are absolutely huge, they've got so much storage room and they feel like you could live very comfortable in them.
Only catch is they are high rise apartments on the side of the mountain. Parkview would make a lot more sense in an urban setting rather than in the country. DL RD Co Co are supposed to be building a halting site next to the Parkview complex which doesn't sound very exciting
either.

Just wondering has anyone been offered a place yet by Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Co Council?? I've heard that the Beacon apartments are coming up but at 300,000 they're quite expensive & the maintenance fee is over 2,000 a year aswell...
Does anyone know if the Parkview apartments are ready??

Just wondering has anyone been offered a place yet by Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Co Council?? I've heard that the Beacon apartments are coming up but at 300,000 they're quite expensive & the maintenance fee is over 2,000 a year aswell...
Does anyone know if the Parkview apartments are ready??

I spoke with the Council last week. They're expecting the Beacon ones to go before Xmas but the rest (Parkview, Belarmine and Ballintyre) to all be after Xmas. As a previous poster said - the timelines seem to change!! I had my interview with them in Sept / Oct so am still waiting! Was originally told I'd have an offer by Xmas. I got an updated letter last week giving me my new number. Its only dropped 20 places in 6 months on the general list so its moving slow enough.

I took a look at both Parkview & Beacon South Quarter. Parkview apartments are huge and are the sort of places you could properly live in. Beacon south quarter apartments are so small that you would need to order custom made beds to fit the dolls house sized bed rooms.

The BSQ apartments are considerably smaller than the new recommendations on apartments size issued by DCC. I suspect that this will be reflected in their market in the future.

Sherry Fitzerald have been engaged to sell the apartments under the scheme. I've learned that the market valuation of the BSQ 2 beds will be €520k notwithstanding the fact that the developer can not sell apartments for this price. There are also BSQ apartments on DAFT for a lot less. Landmark developments have not released the next phase in BSQ as nobody wants to know about overpriced apartments in this market.

Thanks mac198 & Artois.
I also received a letter with my new places on the lists, I haven't moved too much down the list either! Like most of us I had the interview in september & was told I would be offered something before christmas but I reckon it'll be the new year at this stage..
I think they'll find the Beacon apartments hard to shift considering what Artois has written. I passed by the Parkview & Belarmine social & affordable apartments at the weekend and they are quite impressive! I suppose we'll just have to keep waiting...

I took a look at both Parkview & Beacon South Quarter. Parkview apartments are huge and are the sort of places you could properly live in. Beacon south quarter apartments are so small that you would need to order custom made beds to fit the dolls house sized bed rooms.

The BSQ apartments are considerably smaller than the new recommendations on apartments size issued by DCC. I suspect that this will be reflected in their market in the future.

Sherry Fitzerald have been engaged to sell the apartments under the scheme. I've learned that the market valuation of the BSQ 2 beds will be €520k notwithstanding the fact that the developer can not sell apartments for this price. There are also BSQ apartments on DAFT for a lot less. Landmark developments have not released the next phase in BSQ as nobody wants to know about overpriced apartments in this market.

Artois - how small are BSQ? Heard that before but are they as small as everyone says they are? What sort of sq metre or sq footage are they do you know??

Hi Mac198,

I think we are talking about 63-67sq metres. It also depends if the auctioneer has counted the balcony in the measurement.

I have copied the following from Irish Property News:-

'A team of architects has said that apartment developments in Dublin will have to increase in size by at least 40% to meet new building standards.
New regulations passed by Dublin City Council require all new apartments in the city to be at least 85sq.m in size and to have windows front and back.
Tiernan McCarthy of ELM architects told a meeting of planners and developers today that the council will have to allow higher buildings to cope with these requirements.'

I know the above relates to DCC however the above is likely to become the standard for all new apartments. If BSQ apartments are supposed to be high end apartments with high end prices their size should be a lot closer to the DCC regulation.

When I viewed a BSQ apartment the bed rooms seemed to be absolutely tiny hardly big enough to fit a double bed. There are about a thousand apartments being held back by Landmark Developements at the moment and their release on to the market will ultimately put a huge amount of downward pressure on BSQ prices.

Thats worrying. DLR CO CO have my name down as having a preference for the BSQ apartments but I'm wondering should I change that now. How did you manage to arrange a viewing? I contacted the estate agents selling them ages ago and gave them my details but still havent heard anything from them. Probably a good change the piece of paper with my name on it was thrown in the bin! Never mentioned AH to them. Just said I was interested in viewing the next batch of apartments that come up!

Hi Mac,

When DLRD Co Co indicated that BSQ were available I viewed one of the BSQ apartments advertised on daft. Needlesstosay I did not tell the auctioneer that there was no way i could afford €425k + for the place.

Interestingly the auctioneer rand me a week after I viewed the place and told me there was an offer on the place for €410k and wanted to know if I wished to put in an offer. That was two months ago and the place is still advertised on daft. Obviously the usual auctioneer tricks were being played.

Hi Mac,

When DLRD Co Co indicated that BSQ were available I viewed one of the BSQ apartments advertised on daft. Needlesstosay I did not tell the auctioneer that there was no way i could afford €425k + for the place.

Interestingly the auctioneer rand me a week after I viewed the place and told me there was an offer on the place for €410k and wanted to know if I wished to put in an offer. That was two months ago and the place is still advertised on daft. Obviously the usual auctioneer tricks were being played.

might sound like an obvious question artois but was it a one bed or a two bed? am presuming a one bed at that price unless the prices have dropped dramatically??

Viewed a 2 bed. Parking space was in addition to price . Its a while since I viewed it so not entirely certain of price but it did not seem cheap.

Living area was not that small but bedrooms were tiny.

Worrying alright but from looking at daft there seems to be quite a range of apt's there. Some around 90 sq metres and some closer to 65 as you mention. I'd imagine the larger ones would hardly go for affordable housing. Think I'll do what you did and waste a couple of estate agents / auctioneers time and have a look at the ones currently up for sale.

Hello!, I've been keeping an eye on this thread myself - I've been put forward to SherryFitz about the Beacon apartments.
Just to clarify - they are 300K, 2 bed apartments - their size varies from 65sqm to 90 odd sqm. There is a parking space included.
According to DLRCOCO the top 3 floors are affordable initiative and the bottom 3 are social housing (this was from my meeting 1 month ago).
DLRCOCO says a show apartment should be available to see shortly and from that you'll get the plans.
I too am concerned about the size of the apartments, but looking at the cubes 7 plans (which are online) they could either be spacious or pokey!

Two other points about it when comparing it to say parkview etc - for those you have the option of the 44 bus to get into town - a lengthly journey, a once a day bus to the dart or extensive use of your car. The handiness (and hence value added thing of Beacon) is the handiness to the Luas.
With the other apartments you may have to depend on a car more than with this development.
Secondly on the clawback issue - you shouldn't be worried about this, you money is protected (providing it doesn't fall too far back beneath the discount) under the irish statute - your clawback is reduced the more the price falls so that your money is always left as is and the difference owed to the council. In fact the more the price of these apartments fall the easier you can remortgage and buy the council out. Clawback is only an issue if the property price increases - then its fair enough the council gets their share!

Finally (sorry for long post) - the builders have been working long hours to get these apartments ready, they are still working on them at 8pm! When I met DLRCOCO they originally set snagging would be done before Christmas - perhaps this will still happen?

How long ago did you meet with DLRCOCO ste? I met with them back in Sept (I think). Was talking to them yesterday and they said that Olga is the person dealing with BSQ but she was off till next week. They told me to expect a call this site of Xmas to arrange a viewing. I presume it will just be first come first served to get the apartments and pay the deposit to secure them? I'm living in the area already so am so used to using the Luas to get around that I dont think I could go back to the bus! The size of the apartments and the amount of construction work / noise would be my main concerns.

I met in October, their story has changed a few times! You are correct Olga has been out for a while - not sure though now, but when I called them last week they said the show apartments will be ready in a "couple" of weeks. I too asked them about how it will work with apartment allocation. Their response was they gave Sherry Fitz a list. You will view the apartment and plans and create a preference list. Depending on your location on the list SherryFitz has and your preferences you'll be allocated one.
The plans for cubes 7 are here
[broken link removed]
Now I am presuming it might be similar layout - since both blocks are opposite each other. Interestingly some apartments are two floored, one bedroom on one floor and one upstairs with the kitchen living room.
However its only speculation - I can't wait to see the actual plans myself!

Looking at Unit 8, the outside (looking at estate) has been finished, the lights and roof of a few of the floors completed and you can see the steel extractor fan hoods in the kitchen and bedroom cupboards. However the otherside of the building still has scaffolding on the outside. As mentioned before they seem to be working long days to get this block finished.

Strange, when I spoke with them they said they hadn't given a list to Sherry Fitz yet! I can't see them having any viewings this side of Xmas yet. At this stage I'm nearly afraid to make plans for any day that I might not be around Dublin in case there is a viewing and I might lose out! Thats good if the top 3 floors are the affordable ones.

Does the number that you are in the list have any bearing on what you are likely to get I wonder? I presume everyone will just want the larger apartments?

Last edited:
Back