€3 for a cup of coffee in Galway

This thread's all very well, but we must remember that drinking coffee is not everyone's cup of tea.

I had a coffee with a friend in Blu on Shop Street in Galway during the week which cost €1.70 each. I thought she made a mistake but I double checked the menu and it was corrrect.

Blu is about 50 halfway between Brown homas and Easons, and no, i don't own the place. If I did, I'd charge more for coffee :)

They are sound in there alright. I got a coffee in there one day and dropped it - my own fault - but they still gave me another coffee free of charge.

Hillsalt,

I'm surprised people would think 1.70 is a mistake. I think it's a fair price. Not dear, but not cheap either.

Depends on what exactly it was. For example the following generally involve increasing amounts of labour to produce: cup of instant coffee, cup from a large pot of filtered coffee, French press/cafetiere of coffee, espresso, americano, latte/cappuccino etc., other fancier espresso based drinks such as mocha, iced coffee etc. etc.

coffee contains substantial amounts of the chemical acrylamide which is currently being studied as a likely carcinogeic substance.

"COFFEE is responsible for as much as a third of daily consumption of the cancer-causing chemical acrylamide, research by the United Nations has found."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article788739.ece

stick to tea. chips and crisps contain even more of it.

I thought most of the coffee in your average coffee shop/cafe was done by machines rather than human labor which basically hands it over ?
Have you ever seen a barista making an espresso (or espresso based drink) using a Gaggia or the like? There IS manual labour involved. A good barista might fool you into thinking otherwise. If you mean one of those push button machines that some places have then my sympathies...

Try Google for any term that you didn't understand.

I would never pay the guts of a fiver for a coffee by the way. Well - unless it was this perhaps. :)

I don't see the fuss behind a €3 coffee. I mean, if you're going to go in somewhere, take up space and be waited on, then it's naive not to expect to pay for the privilege.

If you don't want to pay the €3 for the coffee and waiting service, then there are plenty of advertised places that will do €1 takeout coffee.

"Likely"? Says who exactly?

if you had read the article I linked you would have noticed:

"The new research has been carried out jointly by two UN agencies — the World Health Organisation and the Food and Agriculture Organisation. It uses data from 17 countries, including Britain, to build up a picture of the amount of acrylamide consumed by people with a range of eating habits."

The US FDA reports that it causes cancer in the animals it was tested on and it it is carrying further studies:

[broken link removed]

The FSAI also highlights simila concerns

[broken link removed]

I'm suprised you've never heard of this.

if you had read the article I linked you would have noticed:

"The new research has been carried out jointly by two UN agencies — the World Health Organisation and the Food and Agriculture Organisation. It uses data from 17 countries, including Britain, to build up a picture of the amount of acrylamide consumed by people with a range of eating habits."

The US FDA reports that it causes cancer in the animals it was tested on and it it is carrying further studies:

[broken link removed]

The FSAI also highlights simila concerns

[broken link removed]

I'm suprised you've never heard of this.
Yes - I did read this:
FDA has not yet determined the exact public health impact, if any, of acrylamide from the much lower levels found in foods.
and contradictory comments like this:
Acrylamide is a cancer-causing substance in animals, regarded by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency as a probable human carcinogen, although epidemiological studies in humans have not shown a relationship between exposure to acrylamide and increased cancer rate. It is also genotoxic (interacts with DNA) and it causes damage to the nervous system (neurotoxicity).
The jury is out. In fact the court might not even be sitting.

coffee contains substantial amounts of the chemical acrylamide which is currently being studied as a likely carcinogeic substance.

"COFFEE is responsible for as much as a third of daily consumption of the cancer-causing chemical acrylamide, research by the United Nations has found."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article788739.ece

stick to tea. chips and crisps contain even more of it.

I can't help thinking that this is like the "mobile phones cause cancer" scares. If it were true, we would have seen exponential increases in Irish cancer cases (allowing for better detection rates) over the past 20 years in line with Irish coffee consumption trends over that period. These exponential increases have not happened therefore the theory should be regarded with suspicion.

I finally got around to reading this book recently so have an idea how statistics (including unrepresentative or non scientific samples) can take on a life of their own once they get published and propagated in reports, press releases, newspapers etc.

Where did it all go wrong anyways... are some people to sophisticated to drink tea these days..... is drinking tea uncool or something..... whats with the Americano;s, latte's, frappachino........

ninsaga (totally uncool person - anticool and about to create a whole new subculture where is it really cool to not be cool!)

Where did it all go wrong anyways... are some people to sophisticated to drink tea these days..... is drinking tea uncool or something..... whats with the Americano;s, latte's, frappachino........

ninsaga (totally uncool person - anticool and about to create a whole new subculture where is it really cool to not be cool!)
Why do you assume that those who prefer coffee think themselves more sophisticated than those poor plebs who prefer tea?

Back