€3 for a cup of coffee in Galway

DeclanP

Was in Galway during the week and had lunch, after which I ordered a cup of coffee. Was shocked when charged €3 for the coffee which came in a relatively small cup.

This is shocking. Is it any wonder that the Brits and Americans are staying away? The lunch was dear enough but the price of coffee took the biscuit. For the record, this was a small upstairs restaurant on Quay Street — and not the G Hotel or anything like that.

Maybe I am overreacting but I thought that this was outrageous and let the staff know. All they said was that they were just the employees and had nothing to do with fixing the prices. Blah de blah

Did you not ask the price of the coffee before ordering it?

Amm, no! Like, I don't ask the price of a pint when I go into a pub. Maybe should have checked off the menu but I still didn't expect it to be €3, which is nearly the price of a pint! Still think it is astronomical for a coffee.

Amm, no! Like, I don't ask the price of a pint when I go into a pub. Maybe should have checked off the menu but I still didn't expect it to be €3, which is nearly the price of a pint! Still think it is astronomical for a coffee.
So you don't check price lists which, by law, must be on display, you don't complain at the time but you post moaning about it after the fact on the internet? :rolleyes:

I must say that if i were going for a cup of coffee I would not check price beforehand but in future i think i will.

The price list must be on prominent display by law. In many places each table also has an individual menu/price list. If some people just make a purchase and leave the price to chance then that's their own problem not the outlet's.

By the way €3 for a coffee would not be totally unknown in Dublin.

Some tea/coffee prices that I am aware of:

SLIGO, Cafe Victor: tea = 1.40

GALWAY, E Brun pub on Dominick street: tea = 1.50, coffee = 2.00

I'd say plenty of places charge more than 2.00 for coffee, so 3.00 is not unbelievable.

Maybe start a website called www.irishcoffeeprices.com should soon alert our caffeine imbibing brethren to whats what in the world of coffee prices on our little isle.

hey, caffeine. I thought it was supposed to be I before E except after C. what in the name of blue blazes? no wonder it costs so much, its a spelling anomoly.

Well I for one think you should have either asked or looked at the menu. Presumably you saw a menu when you ordered lunch;)
Do/would you check the price of the coffee before you order it after a meal?
I know I don't.

Do/would you check the price of the coffee before you order it after a meal?
I know I don't.

Well I'm just back from a meal, and I did check the price of the coffee. An ordinary coffee was €2.50, while the irish/brandy coffee's etc, were €4.95. Desserts ranged from €5.95 to about €8.50.

If I'm out for lunch, I would have 3 or 4 places that I would go to, and know that the coffee there is between €2 and €2.50. I tend not to check regularly because I imagine that the price is the same as it was a few days previously.

If I went somewhere new, and didn't check the price before ordering, then I would not feel able to complain, if I was charged €3.

I had a coffee with a friend in Blu on Shop Street in Galway during the week which cost €1.70 each. I thought she made a mistake but I double checked the menu and it was corrrect.

Blu is about 50 halfway between Brown homas and Easons, and no, i don't own the place. If I did, I'd charge more for coffee :)

Back