Working from home clarified

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does this work in practice? Does your employer have to change your contract to be a permanent wfh?

How does this work in practice? Does your employer have to change your contract to be a permanent wfh?
If it's just claiming it back, you just need a letter from your employer stating you've been working from home. Don't have specifics, but that's about it afaik

Nothing so. If I read it right, annual bills of 2k would allow for €200 claimable at up to the 40% tax rate so €80.
I had been meaning to look into it (WFH since March) but on the basis of that ballpark figure I don't think it's worth the bother.

If it's trivial to claim then why not, but yeah, it's barely anything. €3.30 a day would be about €600.

Nothing so. If I read it right, annual bills of 2k would allow for €200 claimable at up to the 40% tax rate so €80.
Not quite so. Claims can be made for legitimate vouched expenses incurred to perform ones duties of employment. The 10% figure you are referring to is a Revenue guideline, but if you have legitimate vouched expenses beyond that, then you can claim for them.

Most employers won't do the €3.20 per day as not legally obliged to do.
They should have simplified the process for employee at least in this Budget.
People won't spend a few hours trying to get hold off bills online, doing calculation's etc.

Isnt this out of the employers hands?
I would probably be wary of approaching my employer right now as things not going so well.
But if it is a claim that you can make on ROS then that would be simpler.

Can the whole broadband be used rather than the 10% if you had to get it in especially i.e. €800 rather than the 10% ? Or am I reading this wrong ?

Can the whole broadband be used rather than the 10% if you had to get it in especially i.e. €800 rather than the 10% ? Or am I reading this wrong ?
You'd have to be able to vouch for that and prove that the expense is incurred wholly, exclusively and necessarily in the performance of your employment duties.

Broadband 100% as we dont use it for anything other my need for work
Light and heat 10%, basically nout.
Vouched expenses....screen and seat

What else....

Didn't Michael McGrath say that they were not going to give any big tax incentives to WFH as it has already happened and in any case people are saving money, they don't need to be pushing an open door. It was more important to get life and business back into the city centres and that is where the thrust of the incentives would go. Those businesses that have been hardest hit by the pandemic should get the most

Didn't Michael McGrath say that they were not going to give any big tax incentives to WFH as it has already happened and in any case people are saving money, they don't need to be pushing an open door. It was more important to get life and business back into the city centres and that is where the thrust of the incentives would go. Those businesses that have been hardest hit by the pandemic should get the most
Well it's hard to argue with that.

Employer/Government;
"You don't have to have the expense of getting to and from work and can save all that time you used to spend commuting. You can poo in your own toilet, eat lunch and make coffee at home, but the table and chair you use won't be tax deductible."

Employee working from home:
"What!! that's disgraceful!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back