Working from home clarified

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would prefer to be in the office: someone else pays for the heating, cleans the bathrooms and cooks my lunch every day.

Doing my own cooking and cleaning is getting to be a real bore.
Do you get your lunch cooked and handed to you for free? Do you work in Aer Lingus in the 80's?

Many companies reporting falls in total productivity since WFH began in March, much harder and slower to get problems solved remotely and very difficult to train new employees. Of course established employees may claim that as individuals they are now more productive, but in total productivity has definitely fallen.

Last edited:
Nothing so. If I read it right, annual bills of 2k would allow for €200 claimable at up to the 40% tax rate so €80.

€3.20 a day is excellent by comparison.

I think its slightly worse than that - say 2k in bills * workdays/totaldays * 10% = eligible amount * tax rate = refund. I'm not sure if tax rate is 20% used for other claims like medical or 40% marginal rate. Lucky if you get 50?

I'm not sure this is greatly different then what was there previously. the €3.20 existed prior to the budget as did the ability to claim relief for utilities but most people didn't claim since it was a small fraction of the utility bill was and revenue often questioned it. The only major change was an extension of utilities to include broadband and also claiming for other things. I bought a new desk which only I use so my intent would be to claim relief for that if my understanding is correct

Many companies reporting increases in total productivity since WFH began in March, much easier and quicker to get problems solved remotely and very efficient to train new employees. Of course established employees may claim that as individuals they are now less productive, but in total productivity has definitely risen.

Any objective data to support that claim?
Sounds very anecdotal.
Well I know the insurance industry productivity is 75% of what it was pre Covid, problems with security and access when employees trying to access data from unsecure home workspaces, no immediate IT backup, no "handholding" employees through problems by experienced colleagues. Therefore if a problem can't be solved by the employee at home they have nothing to do for the day, also good excuse if you don't want to work. In other words real world stuff that is not sexy to talk about. I doubt the ESRI is going to do a comprehensive study of productivity from WFH because they might get the wrong answer and it would also conflict with the government message on reducing Corona . maybe next year when they want get the real economy back up and running.

Well I know the insurance industry productivity is 75% of what it was pre Covid, problems with security and access when employees trying to access data from unsecure home workspaces, no immediate IT backup, no "handholding" employees through problems by experienced colleagues. Therefore if a problem can't be solved by the employee at home they have nothing to do for the day, also good excuse if you don't want to work. In other words real world stuff that is not sexy to talk about. I doubt the ESRI is going to do a comprehensive study of productivity from WFH because they might get the wrong answer and it would also conflict with the government message on reducing Corona . maybe next year when they want get the real economy back up and running.
So just anecdotes then?
Fair enough...

Many companies reporting increases in total productivity since WFH began in March, much easier and quicker to get problems solved remotely and very efficient to train new employees. Of course established employees may claim that as individuals they are now less productive, but in total productivity has definitely risen.
Same question as I posed to @joe sod earlier applies here.

Productivity at many businesses has increased, as a result of WFH.

Overheads such as power and heat, have been shifted from employer to employee, in most cases, without any compensation.

The tax break to recognise the increased costs that employees are incurring, is made administratively cumbersome

Go figure who wins and who loses out here!

Productivity at many businesses has increased, as a result of WFH.
have you any data to back that up, probably not, but in any case can you explain why you think it has increased given the major problems with it that I discussed in an earlier post?
Overheads such as power and heat, have been shifted from employer to employee, in most cases, without any compensation.
But the employer is still paying for these costs and many more standing charges like insurance, rent, building maintenance etc, their costs might only be marginally reduced because of staff not being in the building. Should the employer be compensated for these losses ? Will employers who are facing financial difficulties as a result of lockdowns ask for pay cuts because the costs for their employees have been reduced alot, this may not be an immediate issue but maybe that will be the quid pro quo, you can continue to WFH but you must accept a pay cut for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back