Why is sexism not challenged on askaboutmoney?

Getting the popcorn ready. Ive noticed it here a bit too Thirsty. Like generally assuming the bigger earner is male. Exhibit A

if you go around seeking to be offended you will be. Sexism cuts both ways.

Also I find it curious that the most successful women i know (in their late 30s/early 40s) dont perceive sexism as a real issue these days.

Like generally assuming the bigger earner is male.
Is the bigger earner not generally the male? Again, is it not a reasonable assumption? I know of one (maybe two) couples where the female earns more than the male. But who cares? Women tend to marry someone who they perceive to have better, or at least as good, prospects than themselves. That's smart.

Getting the popcorn ready. Ive noticed it here a bit too Thirsty. Like generally assuming the bigger earner is male. Exhibit A

in a married couple its often the case, most usually as a result of the female taking time out of the work force at the 'wrong' time in order to have children. It happened to us, my wife earned more than me for a long time but once we started a family her career stalled and mind continued to progress. Unfortunately having kids in your 30s really impacts earning prospects.

A victim mentality does not a victim make. Life is too short for Leftist BS.
No surprise that you are not female Michael.

Now now @DeeKie , is that inference of lack of empathy not sexist and therefore inherently 'offensive' to some ?

if you go around seeking to be offended you will be.

Couldn't agree more !
Some people will work hard to find some " 'ist " or " 'ism' " in practically everything to become 'offended' by.
And as if that's not enough then become offended if you don't agree that is it offensive.

Now I find that offensive...............oh wait, do I............hold on, not sure now. :D:D

As a female who employed my husband in our company (at a lower salary than myself) to do the secretarial work, will I be challenged if I say there is a big difference between a generalism and a sexist remark?

I think I can now answer the question posed on this thread by the moderator.

I don't think any moderator posed this question.

You took a thread off topic with your comments.
I moved them to a new thread and had to summarise your post in the title.

Feel free to edit the title.

Brendan

Neither the thread nor the question therein came from me; but I believe I have clearly answered it.

And your response, it seems, adds a third point to my reply.

I'm reading a book, Invisible Women, you'd enjoy it Thirsty. Has some interesting stuff about "Default Man" thinking, or botched attempts at equality when maybe you need to actively favour women to give a level playing field. It is also a bit 'broken record', in that you get hit over the head with the same message a few hundred times. I'll finish it though, and be all the better for it.

One point that comes across is that however bad women in Western Society feel they have it, its so much worse in developing countries (not to talk of the likes of Saudi), anyway, that's hardly the point, we should do the best we can. I'd rather focus my energies on more substantive issues like child care, transport systems, flexible working hours, pension rights etc. You'd like assumptions or language to improve, but its like the thing "commit suicide", very hard to shake but not really the most pressing aspect of the problem.

There I would disagree.

The language we use is important, it reflects our thinking.

There are plenty of words, which we heard as children, that are no longer considered acceptable in polite society.

There are many behaviours once considered normal (e.g. smoking in restaurants), that are now, not only frowned upon, but illegal.

Changing language can drive social change.

Social change can drive legal change.

Words can be powerful.

Last edited:
if you go around seeking to be offended you will be. Sexism cuts both ways.

Also I find it curious that the most successful women i know (in their late 30s/early 40s) dont perceive sexism as a real issue these days.
As a woman in this band you mention I don’t know a woman who regards sexism as anything other than a live issue. Plenty of us don’t get equal pay for equal work. The stats support the view I hold.

Perhaps the women you know don’t feel confident in sharing their view with you, or haven’t volunteered it for you. If you raise this as a question or discussion this thread shows the openness of many to discuss. I would not feel comfortable in discussing it with you as instead of trying to understand the poster”s perspective you attacked. It’s an interesting social experiment to see it discussed and aired here. Perhaps this website would be more diverse if ideas could be discussed without the immediate tag of victim being applied to views that are not held by the majority.

There I would disagree.

The language we use is important, it reflects our thinking.

There are plenty of words, which we heard as children, that are no longer considered acceptable in polite society.

There are many behaviours once considered normal (e.g. smoking in restaurants), that are now, not only frowned upon, but illegal.

Words can be powerful.
Well said Thirsty. I have not agreed 100% with everything you have said but you are spot on here. Here we have someone telling you what they think what should be important to you, childcare, as opposed to than respecting what you feel is important. Sigh. I am sick of people who don’t want talk about sexism telling women to think about their children.

Words can be powerful.

but these words could from the nazi playbook, there is something very intolerant about them
"Social change can drive legal change"
Something which was heretofore perfectly acceptable suddenly become socially unacceptable and then illegal.

In other words it is trying to drive conformity to a new ideal, if you do not conform to this well then you are illegal and you will be forced to conform. Very dangerous language here,

Last edited:
" wife does some "secretarial" work and manages the accounts"

Where does the OP refer to their partners occupation or salary?

Why would you assume a woman does 'secretarial' work?

You could at least *try* to avoid sexist stereotypes.
Thirsty you might have a point in general attitudes but this wasn't sexism. The OP mentioned two jobs there - secretarial work and managing accounts. Why did you just zone in on the secretarial work as being sexist but ignore the accountant role? Was it because it didn't suit your narrative?
What the OP was referring to here was the practice of putting a family member on the staff for jobs which are frequently done in small companies by the owner or by a close relative of the owner for little or no pay. There was nothing more to it than that. If the owner was a woman there is every chance she would have put her husband down as doing these jobs.
I think you have grasped the wrong end of the stick on this one tbh.

Back