Why is sexism not challenged on askaboutmoney?

Thirsty

" wife does some "secretarial" work and manages the accounts"

Where does the OP refer to their partners occupation or salary?

Why would you assume a woman does 'secretarial' work?

You could at least *try* to avoid sexist stereotypes.

Missing the point, Leo.

I find it curious that racist tropes are (rightly) jumped on, but sexism just slides by unchallenged.

Missing the point, Leo.

I find it curious that racist tropes are (rightly) jumped on, but sexism just slides by unchallenged.
It was clear that it's a 'thing' in companies for the husband to employ wives as a means to, let's put this nicely, avoid paying tax while giving the spouse a PRSI stamp. So a double benefit to it. It probably happens the other way around too, where the woman is the company owner.

But there is zero work going on. And the easiest way in a small company to do this is put the spouse down as secretarial/admin/book keeping duties. No way revenue can challenge that. And in a very many cases it's actually being done.

...sigh...
When we move to gender neutral pronouns etc it will be less of an issue. :)

Personally I don't sweat the small things. Being female I'm pretty much used to everyone thinking it's the man does the financials etc.

If the vast majortiy of secretaries are women would it be a fair assumption? Are the vast majority of secretaries not women?
It was clear that it's a 'thing' in companies for the husband to employ wives as a means to, let's put this nicely, avoid paying tax while giving the spouse a PRSI stamp.
I know a number of such setups . . and in one case the wife actually does do the accounts.

I know a number of such setups . . and in one case the wife actually does do the accounts.

Yes I know many women who do the accounts in such scenarious. My polish handyman guy here, he tells his wife the hours he does etc and she keeps a tab so that he can bill me correctly.

My husband got a male secretary once. He nearly had a heart attack. I couldn't believe my own husband's reaction. So old fashioned. As it turned out he was brilliant.

If the vast majortiy of secretaries are women would it be a fair assumption? Are the vast majority of secretaries not women?

Indeed they are, over 96% of personnel involved in secretarial duties in the US are female, (US census 2013) however, as we know, not all females are secretaries.

Same as not all females are nurses/cabin crew/hairdressers/house maids etc. but statistically there is a higher percentage of females in these roles.
Same as not all males are miners/refuse collectors/bricklayers/welders etc. but statistically there is a higher percentage of males in these roles.

So I would think it is fair to assume the gender of the person in a particular profession based on tradition.
However in this day and age we are not allowed to assume anything without being accused of some " 'ism " or other.
Personally I think there are more important things to worry about than :-

" How dare you assume my gender just because my name is Mary", springs to mind.

A father and his son are in a car accident.
The father dies at the scene and the son is rushed to the hospital. At the hospital the surgeon looks at the boy and says "I can't operate on this boy, he is my son." How can this be?

A father and his son are in a car accident.
The father dies at the scene and the son is rushed to the hospital. At the hospital the surgeon looks at the boy and says "I can't operate on this boy, he is my son." How can this be?

The surgeon is female............c'mon.

How can this be?
Back in the day if you said "don't know" you just had no imagination . . these days there are a multitude of possible answers, maybe he has two dad's, Adam and Steve ;). Leftist ideology will the be end of us all.

Assuming these responses are not deliberate trolling, I think I can now answer the question posed on this thread by the moderator.

Sexism is unchallenged for the following reasons:

1. It would appear that many posters are unable to recognise sexism.

2. When it the sexism is pointed out to posters the response is either

a. Insist that there's nothing wrong.
b. Attempt to diminish the poster pointing out the issue.

Back