Which beer is best quality?

VOR, there are good quality Belgian beers /no Stella/ - if you go for them, go for trappist beers, great ...
i have a particular weakness for delirium tremens but one bottle is enough, the name isn't ironic :D but the taste's really good ...

Delirium tremens has a lovely taste to it, kind of spicy. I am partial to Belgian beers myself. I quite like Leffe, Grimbergen, Duvel and Chimay. I just left them out because I find that they are quite strong for some drinkers. The alcohol content is usually a couple of % higher. If you are not used to it it can come as quite a shock.

Stella is terrible. No other way to describe the stuff.

Delirium tremens has a lovely taste to it, kind of spicy. I am partial to Belgian beers myself. I quite like Leffe, Grimbergen, Duvel and Chimay. I just left them out because I find that they are quite strong for some drinkers. The alcohol content is usually a couple of % higher. If you are not used to it it can come as quite a shock.

Stella is terrible. No other way to describe the stuff.

Stella is really awful - just like Bud, the marketing is way better than the product itself ...
Leffe, Duvel, Chimay etc are really fantastic ... strong, but at the end of the day, if you are talking "best beer", it should be about quality and not quantity ...
i'm always wondering about people wanting the best product when they only want to go and get drunk - surely a bottle of the cheapest spirit would do the same for them ...

Leffe, Duvel, Chimay etc are really fantastic ... strong, but at the end of the day, if you are talking "best beer", it should be about quality and not quantity

Just shows you, it's as personal as tastes in comedy or women. I hate the above mentioned - particularly Chimay.

I'm a connoisseur of a few things but not beer - I just don't care enough. :)

To me it's 7Up for adults, for refreshment, not for savouring. Most people I know feel the same way. Wine, I would be a lot more selective about. Food too as it happens.

As for hangovers, well stomach wise I have to say nothing will cause your innards to gurgle and ripple more than a 'natural' earthy beer like the above mentioned. IME anyway. :(

i'm always wondering about people wanting the best product when they only want to go and get drunk - surely a bottle of the cheapest spirit would do the same for them ...

Some people get that tingling feeling from a couple of 250ml bottles of Belgian beer. Especially when some run up to 9%. If you fear a hangover, Belgian beers may not be the best place to start IMO.

As Caveat has said, it's all a personal choice. I'll admit that if I sit at home and watch a game with friends I'll open a bottle of beer from the 20 for €20 I have picked up in Dunnes or Tescos.

If I sit down for a meal I always like nice wine and a good beer for a party.

The large bottle of Guiness offa the shelf ( as opposed to the cooler ) is your only man , only to be drunk from a half pint glass mind ! Given the time of the year perhaps a foxy one on the side as well.

Most lagers are only fizzy alcoholic water and little else. In terms of quality, obviously anything that comes originally from Cork (Murphy's, Beamish, Midleton Irish rare if someone else is paying!!!)

I drank a beer in Canada a few years back, Slemans Honey Brown, abolutely gorgeous, nicest I've ever drank

I found that a lot of the American beers like Bud, Miller, Coors etc gave me bad hangovers - esp Bud. I put it down to them being full of chemicals.

I have noticed that if I would drink something like Peroni, a more natural beer then I would not be as bad.

But then again, you can't judge one against the other when there are so many factors that play into a hangover. Quantity, your level of tiredness, amount of sleep, dehydration, whats in your stomach etc etc.

If you want a simple rule it would obviously be drink less and perhaps just buy the one with the lowest % of alcohol. There would be a big difference over a nights session between a 3.8% lager and a 5.4% lager.

The large bottle of Guiness offa the shelf ( as opposed to the cooler ) is your only man , only to be drunk from a half pint glass mind ! Given the time of the year perhaps a foxy one on the side as well.

Isn't that called a sergeant down Waterford way? And you're right about the half pint glass....always from a half pint glass.

Tastes very different to draught Guinness. I like it though. Surprise, suprise.

Slightly OT, I rarely drink stout but when I do it's nearly always Guinness - mainly due to geography/ubiquity I have to say.

Can someone describe the differences in taste (properly!) between Guinness, Murphys and Beamish for example? I've had them all at some stage but ages ago now. I know one is relatively sweet but I can't remember which one.

Slightly OT, I rarely drink stout but when I do it's nearly always Guinness - mainly due to geography/ubiquity I have to say.

Can someone describe the differences in taste (properly!) between Guinness, Murphys and Beamish for example? I've had them all at some stage but ages ago now. I know one is relatively sweet but I can't remember which one.

You need to get out more, Cav!

Beamish has a slightly burnt taste from it. Murphy's is much smoother and Guinness is somewhere in the middle. Try this sometime. Put a pint of each of the 3 of them on the table in front of you and tap the side of each pint glass with a 50c coin. You'll get a totally different sound from each.

When I'm out of town, or in Kerry, I drink Guinness. I never touch Murphy's. It's like drinking milk...and I don't really like milk. Sorry, Firefly.

You need to get out more, Cav!

Beamish has a slightly burnt taste from it. Murphy's is much smoother and Guinness is somewhere in the middle. Try this sometime. Put a pint of each of the 3 of them on the table in front of you and tap the side of each pint glass with a 50c coin. You'll get a totally different sound from each.

When I'm out of town, or in Kerry, I drink Guinness. I never touch Murphy's. It's like drinking milk...and I don't really like milk. Sorry, Firefly.

:D Jeez they sound different?! Bloody hell.

Thanks - I think the 'sweet' one may have been Murphys then. You haven't sold Beamish very well Lex: 'slightly burnt taste' ?!

Maybe you don't like milk but I don't like burnt toast either! :)

Would I be right in saying that bottled extra stout Guinness is closer in taste to Beamish than draught Guinness for example?

:D Jeez they sound different?! Bloody hell.

Thanks - I think the 'sweet' one may have been Murphys then. You haven't sold Beamish very well Lex: 'slightly burnt taste' ?!

Maybe you don't like milk but I don't like burnt toast either! :)

Would I be right in saying that bottled extra stout Guinness is closer in taste to Beamish than draught Guinness for example?

I started drinking Beamish in 1990 and it had a much harsher taste back then. It has become a little milder since then. Much closer to Guinness that Murphy's.

Yeah, I'd reckon that bottled Guinness would taste a bit more like Beamish but the bottled stuff would be gassier (new word?) than Beamish.

Ironically, Beamish is now brewed by Murphy's Brewery which is owned by Heineken. And Beamish is a much bigger seller in Cork than Murphy's. Sorry again, Firefly. :p

I had a niiice Murph's in one of your haunts, The Chateaux, last night ;)

I haven't haunted that spot since S.L.F. was in Town. :eek:

I passed the Long Valley about an hour ago and was very tempted to go in for wan. Very difficult to keep it at just the wan though..................

Isn't that called a sergeant down Waterford way? And you're right about the half pint glass....always from a half pint glass.

No . always known as the large bottle in Waterford .

I think the" sergeant " reference relates more to the midlands .

Waterford still has a great tradition of large bottles , you can still get large bottles of Bass , Smithwicks and Carling in addition to Guinness and until quite recently Harp and Phoenix.

Lads, I had a beef salad sandwich (for a change) and a pint of the most beautiful Beamish I ever tasted, in the Long Valley, this afternoon. It was the most pleasant hour I'd spent anywhere in ages. Bumped into a friend and caught up on a lot of things. For a while I thought I'd died and gone to Heaven. :)

Back