What/What Not to Buy at Lidl/Aldi

Hi Delboy

I had read that article - and I purchased the pies on foot of it. i liked the mince . It was nice and spicy and citrusy but alas it suffered from what Mary Berry would have called a Soggy Bottom pastry in comparison to Superquinn's.

Aldi connoisseur pudding also beat all others including Fortnum & Mason in the Christmas Pudding category.

Haven't tried that yet. It can wait for Christmas day.:)

Marion

Love the Christmas tree stand that I bought in Lidl a couple of years ago but only used for the first time on Saturday.

Best gadget buy ever. I was able to put my neatly parcelled 2.5 m tree by Coilte (whose guys were very good in making sure that it would fit into the gadget by sawing off bits of the bottom of the tree) in it, press on the pedal with my foot a couple of times and hey presto a tree that stays standing. It also has a very handy water gauge.

I also bought lovely decorations for the tree in both Aldi and Lidl to compliment others that are quite old.

Marion

Marion. The soggy bottom mince pies depends entirely on who bakes them.
In our local branch we never have soggy bottoms on either their regular apple pies or the mince pies. The lady who does the baking checks them carefully

Baking is done every hour and it's a challenge to leave the store with buying some of the freshly baked products. The smells waft through the store all day.

This lady comes in at 6am. on her bike

I bought some really lovely 18month matured gouda cheese in Aldi yesterday. Opened it while I was cooking the dinner, and between himself and meself it was half eaten before the spuds were even peeled!

If you get through a lot of basmati rice - this offer in Lidl looks good, 4.5kg for €6.99
[broken link removed]

With the revelation that Tesco are selling halaal meat without informing customers (sure, they wouldn't be interested), I wondered what Aldi's position was. This is from the reply the customer service dept sent me :
We are writing in regards to your Halal meat enquiry.

Aldi stores do not sell any certified Halal meat. It is our policy that all animals used in the production of meat and poultry for ALDI own label products must be pre-stunned prior to slaughter.

If you get through a lot of basmati rice - this offer in Lidl looks good, 4.5kg for €6.99
[broken link removed]

That is a good price. however 1kg of Daily Basics basmati rice in Supervalu is €1.49.

[broken link removed]

4.5kg for €6.99 at LIDL is €1.55/kg, which amusingly LIDL incorrectly say is€1.66/kg.

I bought a 150g packet of Mackie CnO crisps for 1.50 last week in Lidl. Had'nt seen them before nor had I heard of Mackie's (scottish).
Have to say they were very nice, too nice! Not like the Lidl 'Knights' brand which often repeat on me after eating them

Lidl are now stocking Nespresso compatible capsules for half the price (€1.99 for ten). They have three types, Ristretto and Classico espresso pods (strength 10 and 4 respectively), and Azzurro Lungo (strength 5). I've only tried Ristretto so far but was very impressed and at that price I'll definitely be back for more!

Lidl are now stocking Nespresso compatible capsules for half the price (€1.99 for ten). They have three types, Ristretto and Classico espresso pods (strength 10 and 4 respectively), and Azzurro Lungo (strength 5). I've only tried Ristretto so far but was very impressed and at that price I'll definitely be back for more!

Thats for the tip.

Any idea if any of them compare (both flavour and intensity wise) with Nespresso's Intenso Roma or Fortissio Lungo Renovation ?

Someone also mentioned to me in work that they thought Aldi are also offering capsuls, but no idea of details. Anyone ?

Thank you.

It's all down to personal taste really MrEarl but I found the Ristretto to be on a par with the Nespresso Roma personally. It would probably need a blind taste test to really compare them without judgement tho!

Hi,

Have now tried the Azzuro Lungo and it compares well with the Fortissio Lungo ... at pretty much half the price, I know where I'll be buying my capsuls for this coffee in the future.

Coming up next week in Specials.

[broken link removed]

Reflink costs, AFAIK, EUR 10.00. Buy one of these, and you've saved enough to savour a Lansdowne Road hot dog :D while listening to the ref.

Coming up next week in Specials.

[broken link removed]

Reflink costs, AFAIK, EUR 10.00. Buy one of these, and you've saved enough to savour a Lansdowne Road hot dog :D while listening to the ref.

Good spot. My old non-smart mobile that I use for fm radio died recently.
The only negative with this is that it's battery operated so probably go through them pretty quickly

Now 2014 and Lidl and Aldi are not now the "gawdawful" places they were made out to be by people who were too snobbish to shop there. Today we have the BMW brigade etc., parked outside. Both Aldi and Lidl have the best fruit and veg on the market. Always fresh due to the high turnover and very reasonably priced. Last week I got 2kg of Italian coffee beans for €7.50 - great value and good coffee.
I also love the specials they have on offer every week - fishing gear, running gear, gardening items, DIY etc. etc., great value and some real bargains. Also notice in last Saturday's Irish Times magazine they recommend Aldi's Picpoul white wine. did you ever think you'd see the day. To all those who still turn their noses up I say - Drop the snob inside you and try. You won't regret it.

Last edited:
Back