What are we watching on TV?

I was late into Succession and binge-watched Season 1 before Season 2 started. It's rare to have a prime-time show (HBO/SKY Atlantic) in which there are no heroes, one where you want them all to fail.
Is it any good?

Is it any good?

Define 'good' ;)

It's a drama said to be loosely modelled on Rupert Murdoch's family. A monster of a patriarch builds a media empire and his children make power moves against him and each other to succeed him. I've seen it labelled as a comedy-drama. While there are no straight out comedy lines, there is much to enjoy. The principal characters all have zero redeeming qualities. I spent the first 2/3 episodes thinking "when does it get good" but once it hit its stride, I was hooked.

It's just a fascinating show isn't it.

It's my current favourite...... I think it is anyway.

I can see myself rewatching Succession and changing my mind about characters. I love Greg the most at present then it's Shive, then it's Kendall, then Roman.

So far I have consistently not liked Connor but that may change.

Succession... I didnt think I was going to like it even after the pilot. Its a slow burner. The season 1 finale is compelling TV especially the scene as Kendall walks to deliver his message (avoiding spoilers).

Watched Sinead O’Connor on Frid. Last time she was on the Late Late she was a “Catholic” Bishop. This time she was a “Muslim” in a hijab. I wonder what she will be the next time?

Anyone watching Mr. Mercedes with the fabulous Brendan Gleeson? Fairly gruesome but worth a watch. Would have to say that all the actors have been very good so far.

*bump*

On wednesday 24th March, BBC4 will be airing the documentary France 1939: One Last Summer.

I caught this first time around and it is a poignant documentary mixing home movies, diaries and letters to tell the story of that last, bittersweet summer.
I think it would be appreciated by anyone interested in the interwar period, or France in general.

Watched Sinead O’Connor on Frid. Last time she was on the Late Late she was a “Catholic” Bishop. This time she was a “Muslim” in a hijab. I wonder what she will be the next time?

Sinéad is one of our nations treasures. Superb singer, unique in tone (to my ears anyway) and great songwriter.
A troubled soul she finds solace in her theological studies and she conveys her meaning and understanding of life through religious doctrine.
She is not alone in that regard.

"bargain loving brits in the sun" on channel 5 every Sunday night . Not a big fan of benidorm and that sort of holiday but after a year of lockdowns and negativity this is positively exotic.

"bargain loving brits in the sun" on channel 5 every Sunday night . Not a big fan of benidorm and that sort of holiday but after a year of lockdowns and negativity this is positively exotic.
Sorry but that sounds like a nightmare. Having "Bargain Loving", "Brits" and "Benidorm" in the same sentence...

It's not what you think it is, take out "Brits" and put in people, it's not lager louts and that stereotypes, it's just people mostly retired wanting to live the best life they can as cheaply as they can on their limited incomes, that's all. Alot of eccentrics and oddballs but that's what makes it good viewing.

Speaking of bargain brits, I don't seem to have Channel 5 on my VM channels.
I understand they are planning a new set of adaptations of the Inspector Dalgliesh crime series by PD James - previously played by Roy Marsden on ITV in the 1980s.
Some of their content is now turning up on RTE e.g. new version of All Creatures Great and Small.
So hopefully this gets picked up.

Sinéad is one of our nations treasures. Superb singer, unique in tone (to my ears anyway) and great songwriter.
A troubled soul she finds solace in her theological studies and she conveys her meaning and understanding of life through religious doctrine.
She is not alone in that regard.
Every now and again myself & herself open a bottle of wine and crank up the stereo. Sinéad always makes an appearance. In fact, the last time, we played Sinéad first and it was a disaster as it was impossible to follow it up with anything else really.
Wolf is getting married, The emperor's new clothes, Mandinka up really load. Really superb music and leaves Alanis in the dust!

Speaking of bargain brits, I don't seem to have Channel 5 on my VM channels.
I understand they are planning a new set of adaptations of the Inspector Dalgliesh crime series by PD James - previously played by Roy Marsden on ITV in the 1980s.
Some of their content is now turning up on RTE e.g. new version of All Creatures Great and Small.
So hopefully this gets picked up.
I binned the Virgin Media some time back and got a satellite dish and a Freesat box (which has Channel 5 - good 80s music series on Friday nights at the moment). For the same price of my annual sub to VM I got telly for life. I can set up record for radio programmes from BBC etc which I love doing. Maybe you can do this on Virgin Media now but not when I got rid of it in 2018. Can't praise the Freesat enough!

I binned the Virgin Media some time back and got a satellite dish and a Freesat box (which has Channel 5 - good 80s music series on Friday nights at the moment). For the same price of my annual sub to VM I got telly for life. I can set up record for radio programmes from BBC etc which I love doing. Maybe you can do this on Virgin Media now but not when I got rid of it in 2018. Can't praise the Freesat enough!
Stuck with VM I'm afraid, satellite not an option.

You still can't record radio, I use the Sounds app now though you may have only 28 days to listen for some content.

"Animal Einsteins" with Chris Packham. Try to get a look at the episode where an entomologist introduces an infective agent into an ant colony. HSE, Dept of Health, politicians, etc do your best to keep up - you have yet to develop the intelligence of ants.

Reactions: PMU
Crock of gold : a few rounds with Shane MacGowan.
A film by Julian Temple , what a life Shane has had - tortured , bedevilled by drink and drugs but what a genius who enjoyed some great times.
Sad to see how shook he is currently.

Crock of gold : a few rounds with Shane MacGowan.
A film by Julian Temple , what a life Shane has had - tortured , bedevilled by drink and drugs but what a genius who enjoyed some great times.
Sad to see how shook he is currently.
Where can this be watched?

Back