Value of garden v extension in dublin

Dublin106

We bought a new build in south Dublin 4 years ago - 4 bed, 2 storey and about 1,700 s ft.

2 kids later I think we need more space downstairs so want to build a 18 sqm extension. The current garden is small enough - about 70sqm and my wife is very concerned about losing the garden. We don't use it that much she just likes looking out at it and sense of some space.

I feel we'd use the new extension 365 days of the year etc. so willing to sacrifice a lot of the garden. We'd be left with a patio and small strip of grass with some trees and flower bed etc. Also we'd have a c1,900 sq foot modern house that's only 2 storeys in Dublin, which would be rare enough now as most are 3 storeys. Just the problem would be a tiny garden left.

Not sure if it's forever home, id be fine it if was but there's the possibility of moving in 10 years time so my wife wants to know:

1 - what is the value of the garden v extension in Dublin come resale in 10 years? what % of purchasers would be put off by such a small garden?

2 - what do you think is the average ratio of garden sq footage to ground floor house sq footage in Dublin? obviously older houses have much bigger gardens than new builds

3 - we have 3 multi stemmed west Himalayan silver birch trees against back wall and new proposed extension would be about 3-4m away - would this have any impact on the extension - could the tree roots cause issues?

Appreciate any thoughts....

Is it you or the Mrs who wants the answers? She has already made it clear she likes the garden, even if you make light of it. I'd be inclined to listen more to her rather than see the possible profit you have running mad in your head. 1700 sq ft has reared much bigger families than yours and have done so with no problems either. You have the bonus of a garden your kids and their friends can look forward to and enjoy , don't lose it with a small extension without some very, very, serious thought even if YOU don't want it. The space will always be there for the next owner, it won't be if you pour concrete on it. Just a thought

the possible profit you have running mad in your head? I've no interest in profit - our concern is that IF we ever decide to sell the value of house will be impacted by little or no garden and we will struggle to sell. I personally think it's our forever home but my wife would prefer the OPTION of possibly selling in 10 years.

It’s really a horses for courses matter in my view, the fact that you have two wildly differing views in your own marraige would show that. Some people couldn’t live without a decent sized garden (myself included) whereas others couldn’t give a fiddlers about the outside space as they spend their time inside only. As per the previous poster take your time and discuss throughly with your wife. You have a 1700sq ft house in south dublin I wouldn’t be worrying over % if potential profit in a random number of years and just settle on what will suit your family going forward most.

It’s really a horses for courses matter in my view, the fact that you have two wildly differing views in your own marraige would show that. Some people couldn’t live without a decent sized garden (myself included) whereas others couldn’t give a fiddlers about the outside space as they spend their time inside only. As per the previous poster take your time and discuss throughly with your wife. You have a 1700sq ft house in south dublin I wouldn’t be worrying over % if potential profit in a random number of years and just settle on what will suit your family going forward most.

I agree with all of the above.
What age are the kids ? If they are still toddlers, you might regret the lack of garden in the few years when they are looking for a swing / trampoline / somewhere to kick a ball.

In answer to your question - if your house is a family home, I think buyers would prefer 1700sqft with a garden then 1900 sq ft without.

really all depends, what will the extra 200 sq feet give you, will it add a family space to your kitchen, or just make an existing one bigger? would putting something like a shomera at the back of the garden make more sense depending on what you need the space for? For me i like a garden, 70 sq/m is small but enough, smaller than that is pushing it.

Are there green spaces close by you can use?

we would be going from a 70sqm garden to around 45sqm. extension would be a 2nd living room downstairs which I feel we need and be an open-plan additional room to the current open plan kitchen/dining area. we've been here 4 years and barely use the garden as we have a few greens in our estate we use.

if you arent using your garden then thats your answer, a lot depends on aspect, our garden is westerly and gets sun all afternoon and evening so we use it a lot, the people across the road not so much

You need to decide if its your "forever" home or if you intend to move at some stage. For potential buyers a garden is an attraction - especially for families with small children. With two children you should be able to survive in your current space - if you feel you need extra space can you convert one of the bedrooms to an office or a playroom or whatever you think you need.

1 - what is the value of the garden v extension in Dublin come resale in 10 years? what % of purchasers would be put off by such a small garden?

Very difficult to put a current value on that, close to impossible to put a future value on it. To get a sense on current value, look at the property price register to see what properties in your area are being sold for. Compare the prices achieved for similar properties with large versus small garden.

2 - what do you think is the average ratio of garden sq footage to ground floor house sq footage in Dublin? obviously older houses have much bigger gardens than new builds

Forget about averages across Dublin, focus on the area the house is in. If it is in an area where all gardens are of a generous size, being the odd one out with a postage stamp garden may well rule out the majority of buyers looking in that area.

3 - we have 3 multi stemmed west Himalayan silver birch trees against back wall and new proposed extension would be about 3-4m away - would this have any impact on the extension - could the tree roots cause issues?

Birch aren't the worst, but I'd imagine just 3-4m could still be problematic, perhaps more so for the trees than the house. Disturbance can damage the root system, and they may also struggle to source enough water if the area around them is mostly built on or paved. If you only have 3-4m of space, birch trees might look totally out of place.

I have young kids and they barely use the garden to play in. I have about 30sqm and it's more than enough. Psychologically it's nice to have of course, but it doesn't have to be big to have that effect.

Biggest actual users of gardens in my experience are people in early stages of retirement: much time spent at home and physical ability to do the work.

We faced the same issue in Dublin about 12 years ago. In the end we decided to go for the extension. For a few different reasons - as you said we would use the space 365 days a year. Our garden was smaller than yours to start with and under 25m2 at the end but we managed with it. Usually in Dublin you are near a green (which you already have) and there are parks close by if you need more space.

1,700 square foot for 2 adults + 2 children is more than enough....I would get a good architect and see what you can do with your existing footprint. That way the whole house could be brought up to a high / new standard rather than the "new" extension (glass box) and the "old" rest-of-the-house which so many people end up with....

For what it's worth, a decent garden was probably our 2nd most important factor after the location itself, so I would be slow to end up with something too small....

1,700 square foot for 2 adults + 2 children is more than enough....I would get a good architect and see what you can do with your existing footprint. That way the whole house could be brought up to a high / new standard rather than the "new" extension (glass box) and the "old" rest-of-the-house which so many people end up with....

For what it's worth, a decent garden was probably our 2nd most important factor after the location itself, so I would be slow to end up with something too small....

the house was a new build a couple of years ago.

Back