Using Éire?

+1

A friend of mine from home (Roscommon) was working in Dublin about 12 years ago and was asked (by a middle-aged female Dub) "Is that in County Athlone?". She was serious!!

I think it was all he could do not to throttle the woman !

But on the whole Ireland thing...I think this sums it up well...

Waggon (wagon?)

I love that one. Please tell me there is a semi-obscure origin as gaelige of that one?

English people saying Eire annoys me for all the reasons people have mentioned but I understand that some of them think that is the correct term. The worst is when they INSIST that it's what Irish people always call it and it's more correct than saying 'Ireland'.

I don't see the harm in people calling this country Eire.
I sometimes ask Spanish friends/colleagues if they are going to back to 'Espana' on holidays etc ? No offence meant, and none is ever taken.

I get annoyed by that term, and people saying that I'm from 'Nordern Ireland' but hey there ya go.

As the forming of the Republic, legally split the island in two, the UK did not wish to use the word "Ireland" to refer to the 26 counties as it had until recently used "Ireland" to refer to the entire island. By calling the legal country Eire, it had a term to refer to the 26 without including the 6.