US Presidential Election 2024

You can see the childish fury coming through, that an election he thought he had in the bag - to the point of appointing a bagman like Vance as his VP pick who brought nothing to the ticket except tech money donations ... and he is falling behind in the polls and betting to Harris.
Yes. This is a new level of crazy.

Frustrated by slipping in the polls, unable to make the mud stick, and a disastrous and cringeworthy running mate.

The man is imploding.

Sad thing is - people like Trump/Vance, MTGreene can only succeed with the support of the Replublican party and large chunks of the population.
This has always interested me @redstar.

Trump is not really a Republican. He is not really anything.

He cobbles together bits and pieces of different political ideologies, depending on what suits him at the time and quite often changes his mind, again, depending on what suits him.

He doesn’t have a coherent political doctrine or economic policy, just short-term, transactional and isolationist views.

The Republicans, obviously, supported him in order to defeat the Democrats, but he doesn’t embrace their principles.

They continued to support him, despite having to suspend their political beliefs and often to degrade themselves to the level of unquestioning sycophants in order to reinforce lies, character assassination and callous contempt for the rule of law and the US Constitution.

I’m certain this has done untold long-term damage to the Republican party.

This has always interested me @redstar.

Trump is not really a Republican. He is not really anything.

He cobbles together bits and pieces of different political ideologies, depending on what suits him at the time and quite often changes his mind, again, depending on what suits him.

He doesn’t have a coherent political doctrine or economic policy, just short-term, transactional and isolationist views.

The Republicans, obviously, supported him in order to defeat the Democrats, but he doesn’t embrace their principles.

They continued to support him, despite having to suspend their political beliefs and often to degrade themselves to the level of unquestioning sycophants in order to reinforce lies, character assassination and callous contempt for the rule of law and the US Constitution.

I’m certain this has done untold long-term damage to the Republican party.
I think Trump's connection to many Republicans is on a deeper level than policy, the Tea Party faction.
Look at who Trump rages against.
It is an ideology \ doctrine \ set of principles in itself.
They are on board with that.

And the Tea Party faction has such an influence on Republican primaries they have shifted the selection of candidates so that either they are MAGA types or go with the flow types.

So true. Most obvious is on abortion. The idea that Trump has any moral position on this (or anything) is for the birds. He once said he would put doctors in jail which he quickly retracted, now he says states can make up their own mind - he has no principle on the matter at all (which wouldn't be a million miles from myself).
But of interest to this parish is that his initial reaction was to rubbish bitcoin (he isn't thick) but now he is an advocate to appease the libertarian wing of GOP.

still a bit to go ,a lot can change in the next few weeks (debates world issues etc.)
the last election was supposed to be a red wave ,house /senate /presidency didn't happen ,no guarantee this one will go blue

just wondering what would it have looked like kamala v nicky

Latest from Trump on Truth Social:

“What are the chances that Crooked Joe Biden, the WORST President in the history of the U.S., whose Presidency was Unconstitutionally STOLEN from me by Kamabla, Barrack HUSSEIN Obama, Crazy Nancy Pelosi, Shifty Adam Schiff, Cryin’ Chuck Schumer, and others on the Lunatic Left, CRASHES the Democrat National Convention and tries to take back the Nomination, beginning with challenging me to another DEBATE.”
I heard this in Donald Trumps voice as impersonated by Shane Gillis :)

Be interesting to see how Kamsla performs in the debate later with Trump.....my guess is she'll be exposed, she doesn't appear to have a grasp on much of anything. I've never seen ayone talk so much and say so little.

Pretty sad really when the alternative is Donald J.

I've never seen ayone talk so much and say so little.
Have you not been watching the recent Donald rallies?

https://x.com/romc/status/1831823671733973216 (What specific piece of legislation will you advance? (to make childcare more affordable))

https://x.com/john_jankovich/status/1831757059215532232 (What specific piece of legislation will you advance? (to make childcare more affordable))

They're as bad as each other, both dreadful.
I don't think so. She might not be great but Trump is getting worse all the time. If it was Biden saying those things the media would be questioning his mental state. But it seems with Trump it's just accepted. I don't think his fans are even listening any more. They know they're voting for him no matter what so it doesn't matter but for anyone looking in, he's deranged.

Be interesting to see how Kamsla performs in the debate later with Trump.....my guess is she'll be exposed, she doesn't appear to have a grasp on much of anything. I've never seen ayone talk so much and say so little.

Pretty sad really when the alternative is Donald J.

Unfortunately I think you're right. I'll be very surprised if Trump isn't re-elected.

I don't think so. She might not be great but Trump is getting worse all the time. If it was Biden saying those things the media would be questioning his mental state. But it seems with Trump it's just accepted. I don't think his fans are even listening any more. They know they're voting for him no matter what so it doesn't matter but for anyone looking in, he's deranged.
Of course she's better than Trump. A bucket of cold sick would be better than Trump. It's hard to believe that the American people have such a terrible choice to make.

They're as bad as each other, both dreadful.
Trump comes out with racist dog whistling like "immigrants are poisoning the blood of the nation".
His VP stooge Vance comes out with racist dog whistling about Haitian immigrants stealing pets for Voodoo rituals.
Trump regularly comes out with incoherent nonsense... look up his speech about sharks and electric boats.

Trump is also a rapist (as per the summary of the judge presiding over the Jean E Carroll case).
He ordered his VP Pence to refuse to certify legitimate election results, when that attempt to subvert the election failed, he incited a mob to storm the Capitol building.
His is a convicted felon who falsified accounting records, so he is no great shakes at business either.
40 out of 44 of his former cabinet and VP refuse to endorse him this time round.
Trump should be in jail, he is no a fit and proper person to run anything, let alone a country.
From an Irish perspective, his economic policies on tariffs and corporation tax would be highly damaging to Ireland specifically, and global trade in general.

Kamala Harris is a former state prosecutor, district attorney and US senator.
She may not be an inspiring candidate or the best at knocking out speeches like say Obama or Bill Clinton.
But all the indications are she would govern as a competent centrist Democrat, with a strong supporting administration.

I have seen nothing remotely dreadful from Harris, the above is just the short list of the dreadful things Trump and his attack dogs regularly comes out with.

Last edited:
Trump comes out with racist dog whistling like "immigrants are poisoning the blood of the nation".
His VP stooge Vance comes out with racist dog whistling about Haitian immigrants stealing pets for Voodoo rituals.
Trump regularly comes out with incoherent nonsense... look up his speech about sharks and electric boats.

Trump is also a rapist (as per the summary of the judge presiding over the Jean E Carroll case).
He ordered his VP Pence to refuse to certify legitimate election results, when that attempt to subvert the election failed, he incited a mob to storm the Capitol building.
His is a convicted felon who falsified accounting records, so he is no great shakes at business either.
40 out of 44 of his former cabinet and VP refuse to endorse him this time round.
Trump should be in jail, he is no a fit and proper person to run anything, let alone a country.
From an Irish perspective, his economic policies on tariffs and corporation tax would be highly damaging to Ireland specifically, and global trade in general.

Kamala Harris is a former state prosecutor, district attorney and US senator.
She may not be an inspiring candidate or the best at knocking out speeches like say Obama or Bill Clinton.
But all the indications are she would govern as a competent centrist Democrat, with a strong supporting administration.

I have seen nothing remotely dreadful from Harris, the above is just the short list of the dreadful things Trump and his attack dogs regularly comes out with.
I agree with all of that but leaders need to inspire people to want to follow and just doesn't have that characteristic.

I agree with all of that but leaders need to inspire people to want to follow and just doesn't have that characteristic.
I'm not sure they do to be honest, at a personal level. It is helpful, especially if you are seeking a mandate for major change
but when was the last time you voted in an election for someone who inspired you?

Very often people are 'inspired' to vote more by the negatives of the other side.
In many cases in next Irish election, a large number of the people voting for FF\FG will be doing so because the main opposition is SF.
In recent French elections, inspired to vote against the National Rally.
In the recent UK election, inspired to vote against the Tories.

I'm not sure they do to be honest, at a personal level. It is helpful, especially if you are seeking a mandate for major change
but when was the last time you voted in an election for someone who inspired you?

Very often people are 'inspired' to vote more by the negatives of the other side.
In many cases in next Irish election, a large number of the people voting for FF\FG will be doing so because the main opposition is SF.
In recent French elections, inspired to vote against the National Rally.
In the recent UK election, inspired to vote against the Tories.
We elect a Parliament every 4-5 years. The USA elects a king. It's a completely different system. Their elected king is the head of State, signs Bills into law, is the Commander in chief of the Armed Forces, is the self described leader of the free world and can pardon criminals.

We elect a Parliament every 4-5 years. The USA elects a king. It's a completely different system. Their elected king is the head of State, signs Bills into law, is the Commander in chief of the Armed Forces, is the self described leader of the free world and can pardon criminals.
They've elected a lot of uninspiring 'Kings' over the years.
Were people all that inspired by Biden?
Or either Bush?
Nixon?
Going back further between Lincoln, Grant and FDR, apart from Teddy Roosevelt & Woodrow Wilson you'd be hard pressed to pick out any of them for their personal qualities or story.

They've elected a lot of uninspiring 'Kings' over the years.
Were people all that inspired by Biden?
Or either Bush?
Nixon?
Going back further between Lincoln, Grant and FDR, apart from Teddy Roosevelt & Woodrow Wilson you'd be hard pressed to pick out any of them for their personal qualities or story.
I agree. On the right it's all about This post will be deleted if not edited immediately, Guns and keeping the liberals in their place. On the so-called left it's about the opposite.

Back