Two elderly straight men getting married to reduce CAT

At the risk of sounding cynical, I doubt there would have been the same lobbying to extend the marriage laws if there had not been significant financial advantages to being married.

As for the two men in question - I wasn't a bit surprised. I know of couples who have 'strategically' separated in order to purchase a second home and minimise tax implications.

Revenue have pursued cases where taxpayers used certain ruses to get around not paying tax. I feel they will investigate this, as the people involved have said they're doing it so as to avoid paying tax. I use the word avoid and not evade but they'll (revenue) look into it because it could become a well used vehicle. In any case, it's wrong. Just my opinion.

While the younger man was the carer I don't think he was living with the older man
They were onto Joe again today and from what I heard he IS living with the older man after he lost his home/apartment for some reason a while back and they decided that the quid pro quo for him looking after the older man was that he would be left the house when the older man died.
I understood from the interview that he is actually in another relationship.
Neither mentioned any other relationship today.

The older man sounded like a very kind gentle soul.

Great story. What I'd like to know is who does the dishes and who takes out the rubbish :p

Yes I heard them again today and I thought initially the older man was ill but I don't think so after listening to it today and yes it was clear that they are living together, as friends obviously!

Revenue have pursued cases where taxpayers used certain ruses to get around not paying tax. I feel they will investigate this, as the people involved have said they're doing it so as to avoid paying tax. I use the word avoid and not evade but they'll (revenue) look into it because it could become a well used vehicle.

I was only thinking about this today. Could the publicity that these people have received work against them? One of the accountants or tax professionals on this board might be able to verify or refute this, but I think that, somewhere in the legislation Revenue have a "catch-all" power to the effect that, if Revenue believe that a transaction has occurred for the sole purpose of avoiding tax, Revenue can still charge tax even though no specific rules have been broken.

These people might have been better off getting married quietly and telling nobody.

I was only thinking about this today. Could the publicity that these people have received work against them? One of the accountants or tax professionals on this board might be able to verify or refute this, but I think that, somewhere in the legislation Revenue have a "catch-all" power to the effect that, if Revenue believe that a transaction has occurred for the sole purpose of avoiding tax, Revenue can still charge tax even though no specific rules have been broken.

These people might have been better off getting married quietly and telling nobody.

I had thought of that Liam and I'm no legal eagle but I suspect the constitutional freedom to marry overrides tax anti-avoidance legislation, on the grounds that the institution of marriage is more than a transaction.

I don't know if it was in the newspaper or on the radio I heard it, but neither the revenue nor the Gardai are interested in having anything to do with this case. All I can say to them is good luck and hope it all works out. Saw both last night on tv and they come across as being nice people.
I also felt the programme last night was making a bigger issue of this that needs to be made, especially the politically correct gay members of both the panel and audience. Amazing the sly way RTE try to angle a programme. One would think they might learn from the Pat Kenny debacle on Frontline concerning the lies told by the host about one of the Presidential candidates.

Section 811, general anti-avoidance.

It’s hard to see how this could fall under 811, as it’s not a transaction, and in any event I’m sure plenty of people marry for the tax benefits. But the gas thing is that the Dwelling House Exemption probably would have exempted the home from CAT in any event.

Great story and seem like two nice guys. Seen them interviewed and no way the older guy is straight...no way... Good luck to them.

The sexual orientation of the older man is not relevant. They are not in a relationship. They are friends who have chosen to marry to avail of a tax advantage available to married couples.

I have seen the title of the thread and I don't think the orientation of either man matters. It is possible to be gay, straight or bi and not fancy your "friend". The issue here is that they are not in a relationship but have a friendship that has lasted 30 years. The marriage is a purely practical arrangement to facilitate the transfer of an asset. They might be "setting a new trend"!

The title of the thread maybe misleading, that's all I'm saying, it's states 2 straight men and in my opinion after seen them interviewed I doubt very much this is the case. Elderly guy definitely gay which leads me to think maybe both are and they are infact in a relationship

The title of the thread maybe misleading, that's all I'm saying, it's states 2 straight men and in my opinion after seen them interviewed I doubt very much this is the case. Elderly guy definitely gay which leads me to think maybe both are and they are infact in a relationship

You can figure out from watching a person for a few minutes giving an interview if the person is gay?
Wow. Not that I really care, but could you share your insights? Would one need to look out for a secret handshake or something like that?

You can figure out from watching a person for a few minutes giving an interview if the person is gay?
Wow. Not that I really care, but could you share your insights? Would one need to look out for a secret handshake or something like that?

You’re right. You could have knocked me over with a feather when I heard that Kenneth Williams, Graham Norton, Al Porter and Panti Bliss were gay. What am I missing?

You’re right. You could have knocked me over with a feather when I heard that Kenneth Williams, Graham Norton, Al Porter and Panti Bliss were gay. What am I missing?

Those guys are obviously camp. As far as I know Barry Humpries never has claimed to be gay. And what about the many gay men who married and have children without anyone ever suspecting they are gay.

Back