Time to ease parking restrictions in city centre?

I've heard that before, but the vast majority of infrastructure in Dublin city centre is dedicated to private cars, even though the majority of commuters into the city take other modes of transport. The evidence on the ground would suggest they hate the others more.

They didnt put that infrastructure there... look at the additions v removals of space for private cars in city centre in last 30 years.
It is not just reduction in private car space... have started cannibalising space from buses for the Luas.

Last edited:
I've heard that before, but the vast majority of infrastructure in Dublin city centre is dedicated to private cars, even though the majority of commuters into the city take other modes of transport. The evidence on the ground would suggest they hate the others more.
Perhaps once upon a time what you say was true and infrastructure was built for private cars. It's been a long time since that was the case! Since the early eighties, it has been all downhill for car infrastructure. There has been:
- a constant increase in bus lanes
- and quality bus corridors
- increased traffic light priority for buses
- constant removal of on-street parking
- increased parking charges
- introduction of clamping
- increased cycle lanes
- bus gates at college green
- widening of footpaths into roadway space
- ongoing reduction in speed limits
- "temporary" traffic restrictions for luas works that turned out to be permanent
- ramps and chicanes to slow car traffic

Against all that, I struggle to think of a single instance where more infrastructure has been provided for cars in the last few decades. So indisputably, the people now in charge of Dublin's transport policy have implemented huge changes that favour cycling, bus, luas, and dart over private cars.

There is no evidence whatsoever the people currently in charge hate these other modes of transport more than they hate cars. Quite the contrary.

So who installed all the public parking? Majority of road space is taken up by private cars....

Was it any of the people currently directing policy in Dublin City Council?
Do you have many examples of extra road space allocated to private cars in the last 25 years to counter the increase in LUAS tracks, bus lanes, cycle tracks, pedestrian streets?
They only thing they like about private cars is the parking fees - even in the current situation where private transport is a health protection step for essential workers based in city centre.

Last edited:
Perhaps once upon a time what you say was true and infrastructure was built for private cars.

The majority of recent road redevelopment continue to dedicated more space to general traffic lanes over public transport and dedicated cycling infrastructure. Even the redevelopment of the stretch of canal around Ormond Quay consisted of a single shared bus/cycle lane with two traffic lanes and car parking on both sides.

Fewer than 28% of journeys into Dublin are now by private car, yet private cars still take up the vast majority of space. 7% cycle, but national spend on cycling infrastructure has been steadily falling over recent years down to only 2% of the transport budget now, with most of that being directed to tourism projects rather than commuters.

Can you point where I said that?

I'm not sure I said you had, but it's what would be needed to justify the argument about the disposition of Dublin City Council to private cars i.e. the additions \ reductions over past generation, i.e. where they have had to make decisions and changes rather than maintaining the 20th century network.

There is no evidence whatsoever the people currently in charge hate these other modes of transport more than they hate cars. Quite the contrary.
Why talk in such emotive terms? There’s no room to put in more roads so the objective is to get people using transport which moves the most number of people per square meter of road. Single occupancy cars are the least space efficient mode of transport there is so it makes sense to look to increase the use of other modes of transport which will allow more people to use the existing space we have. It’s that simple.

Adults don’t frame these discussions in terms of “hating” motorists or “loving” cyclists. They look for solutions by examining the data, taking the non-changeable constraints into account.

Even the redevelopment of the stretch of canal around Ormond Quay consisted of a single shared bus/cycle lane with two traffic lanes and car parking on both sides.
There's a canal around Ormond Quay?

Surely, it's the very opposite that's been happening on the quays. From Heuston to O'Connell Bridge, where there once were 2 to 3 lanes open to car traffic, it's now down to one car lane, with ridiculous zig-zag shifts in position from left to right lanes and vice versa. For most of the quays this miserable single lane sits beside TWO wide bus/cycle lanes that barely have enough traffic for one! It was obviously designed by someone who wants to make drivers' lives a misery.

And busconnects will make it even worse if it goes ahead! How on Earth do you construe this as dedicating "more space to general traffic lanes?"

Fewer than 28% of journeys into Dublin are now by private car, yet private cars still take up the vast majority of space. 7% cycle, but national spend on cycling infrastructure has been steadily falling over recent years down to only 2% of the transport budget now, with most of that being directed to tourism projects rather than commuters.
That 2% is very misleading. Perhaps 2% of new infrastructure is new dedicated cycle path. But to really assess the true cost of cycle infrastructure, you'd have to go back and count the original cost of roads that have now been handed over from private cars to cycle/bus lanes.

I'm not sure I said you had, but it's what would be needed to justify the argument about the disposition of Dublin City Council to private cars i.e. the additions \ reductions over past generation, i.e. where they have had to make decisions and changes rather than maintaining the 20th century network.

Fair enough. The percentage share of journeys into Dublin by private car have plummeted over the years, but private cars take up more space in the city than they ever did. If they were really anti-car they'd be taking far more proactive steps to remove parking and dedicate more space to public transport and pedestrians.

Surely, it's the very opposite that's been happening on the quays. From Heuston to O'Connell Bridge, where there once were 2 to 3 lanes open to car traffic, it's now down to one car lane, with ridiculous zig-zag shifts in position from left to right lanes and vice versa.

No, that whole section still has significantly more space dedicated to general traffic and parking.

And busconnects will make it even worse if it goes ahead! How on Earth do you construe this as dedicating "more space to general traffic lanes?"

On very few routes, but even with that ambitious proposal, the vested interests are in action seeking reduction in the space given over to public transport. I expect whatever will finally come up of it to be watered down and disjointed, and will leave trying to move around Dublin a miserable experience for all.

That 2% is very misleading. Perhaps 2% of new infrastructure is new dedicated cycle path.

No, 2% of budget is 2% of budget, it's pretty clear. The transport budget covers new projects along with maintenance of the existing infrastructure.

...but private cars take up more space in the city than they ever did.
Not true. There are fewer cars commuting into the city than there were previously according to CSO figures. They are clearly taking up less space.

If they were really anti-car they'd be taking far more proactive steps to remove parking and dedicate more space to public transport and pedestrians.

Don't worry, they'll get around to it! It's the classic boil-the-frog strategy. They are simply avoiding a motorist backlash by gradually making things worse and worse in small steps.

Not true. There are fewer cars commuting into the city than there were previously according to CSO figures. They are clearly taking up less space.
Excellent; the plan is working.
Do you think we should be encouraging more people to drive into the city centre? Given that the total road space is constant that could only be achieved by reducing public transport and cycling infrastructure. The net result would be more congestion as cars take up more space per passenger than any other form of mass transport. Do you think that would be a good thing?

No, that whole section still has significantly more space dedicated to general traffic and parking.
Hmmm, debatable, there are sections where cars have less than one third of the space. But anyway, it's beyond doubt that there has been a huge transfer of space AWAY from cars and given over to bus and cycle.

On very few routes, but even with that ambitious proposal, the vested interests are in action seeking reduction in the space given over to public transport. I expect whatever will finally come up of it to be watered down and disjointed, and will leave trying to move around Dublin a miserable experience for all.
The vested interests have sought the preservation of tree and front gardens, not general traffic lanes. The response has been to maintain the proposals for increased bus and cycle lanes, and to take even more general traffic space in order to preserve the trees! You are right though - busconnects will be a miserable experience both for its own users AND the motorists it displaces. Even its proponents admit it can only be a temporary solution and will run out of capacity in 2030 or thereabouts. Time to bite the bullet and go underground. That way you can have good public transport AND road space for those who choose to use it.

No, 2% of budget is 2% of budget, it's pretty clear. The transport budget covers new projects along with maintenance of the existing infrastructure.
Not really. Suppose you spend a million this year building a section of road. Then next year you spend €20k on paint to turn it into a cycle lane. Technically, you've only spent 2% on dedicated cycleways. But, in reality, cycle has got the entire benefit.

Then next year you spend €20k on paint to turn it into a cycle lane. Technically, you've only spent 2% on dedicated cycleways. But, in reality, cycle has got the entire benefit.

Tell me where that has ever happened?

Excellent; the plan is working.
Do you think we should be encouraging more people to drive into the city centre? Given that the total road space is constant that could only be achieved by reducing public transport and cycling infrastructure. The net result would be more congestion as cars take up more space per passenger than any other form of mass transport. Do you think that would be a good thing?
Ah, the either/or fallacy! Firstly road space isn't a constant. You can increase capacity by smarter traffic signalling systems, tunnels or overpasses. Second, you can vastly increase public transport capacity by going underground. It is the green lobby that constantly demonises motorists rather than advocating for a solution that works for both cars and public transport users.

Tell me where that has ever happened?
That's why I prefixed it with "Suppose..."!

I'm just illustrating the point with an exaggerated imaginary example. It's a legitimate debating technique. And it does illustrate how misleading it is to count the spend on converting general traffic infrastructure into cycle infrastructure but NOT the cost of the original project.

It's a legitimate debating technique.

If you're Trump maybe. If you're just making stuff up there's little point debating!

And it does illustrate how misleading it is to count the spend on converting general traffic infrastructure into cycle infrastructure but NOT the cost of the original project.

It absolutely doesn't. There has never, ever been a case where a road was built and then entirely given over entirely to commuter cyclists at a later date. Cycling infrastructure only got a share of transport budget in the recent past. In the last number of years, the cycling share of budget has fallen.

If you're Trump maybe. If you're just making stuff up there's little point debating!
Like I said, I prefixed it with "Suppose..." There's a difference between a supposition, advanced to test or illustrate a point, and making stuff up. If you continue to misrepresent those as identical, then, yes, there's little point debating you!

It absolutely doesn't. There has never, ever been a case where a road was built and then entirely given over entirely to commuter cyclists at a later date. Cycling infrastructure only got a share of transport budget in the recent past. In the last number of years, the cycling share of budget has fallen.
But there are copious examples where a road was built and then a large section of it was converted to bus/cycle lanes. If you only count the cost of conversion, you're hugely underestimating the cost of the bus/cycle infrastructure.

Like I said, I prefixed it with "Suppose..." There's a difference between a supposition, advanced to test or illustrate a point, and making stuff up. If you continue to misrepresent those as identical, then, yes, there's little point debating you!

Proposing a potential scenario with basis in fact is one thing, supposing an entire road would be built and then later dedicated solely to cycling is quite far removed.

But there are copious examples where a road was built and then a large section of it was converted to bus/cycle lanes. If you only count the cost of conversion, you're hugely underestimating the cost of the bus/cycle infrastructure.

The context was dedicated cycling infrastructure budget, how do buses come into that? Roads budget is separate, bus and car lanes come from that single budget.

Back