Time to ease parking restrictions in city centre?

IsleOfMan

Lots of people working from home. Shops closing. Might encourage social distancing on buses. Allow people to park longer than three hours in their car parking space. Reduce parking costs to make it more affordable?
It seems wrong that buses are packed with people, yet there are lots of empty parking spaces in the city centre. Those people with cars that are sitting in their driveway could use them at less daily cost.

An interesting idea.

We charge for parking because we want to encourage public transport.

But now we want to discourage public transport or at least reduce the crowding on it.

Most of the shops will be closed so people won't be driving it go shopping in BTs.

I think it should be tried. Waive parking charges until further notice.

There might well be some unforeseen outcome in which case, the trial can be scrapped.

Brendan

Has anyone in Government discussed this does anyone know? It would certainly make sense for those families that work in the city centre but cannot park their cars there because of cost. Even the health workers.

I think it would be good to raise this via your TD. I scanned the 57 page plan for ireland prep for the virus, and I don't remember anything about this.

Apparently, Dublin City Council has not been charging for parking at meters for some weeks.

I had been told that by someone who is parking free of charge near her office. But there is no official statement anywhere.

I have just spoken to a clamper who was clamping a car parked on double yellow lines and he confirmed that they are not checking meters for payment.

Brendan
Disclaimer: Before doing this, you might want to confirm it.

There should be no parking charges since this lock -down started. There should be no clamping either. There are not too many people other than front line staff working at present , so give people a well earned break...

I agree with that Leo....People should park legally but there needs to be an easing off of charges in the present climate. I would give people a chance to explain themselves ,I would personally.

I'm told that Dublin City Council are operating a "Christmas Day " sort of parking regime- so no parking charges but parking in loading bays/taxi ranks/double yellow lines areas will result in clamping/removal.

My source is a Dublin City Council employee and a client but I can't find any official source.

I've been working in my office (in Dublin city centre) )part time since lockdown- massive increase in wills queries and, unfortunately, Probates but none seem to be Covid 19 related. The other big issue ( now that conveyancing has just stopped) is all about rents and whether landlords can afford to offer rent payment holidays to tenants.

I had been using public transport but much happier using my own transport.

mf

I agree with that Leo....People should park legally but there needs to be an easing off of charges in the present climate. I would give people a chance to explain themselves ,I would personally.

Circumstances will vary with cases like this, but with so little traffic on the roads at the moment there's plenty of designated parking available. Anyone who clearly parks illegally instead of walking a couple of minutes to such a space deserves to be clamped. I'd even be in favour of increased fines for inconsiderate behaviour during a national emergency. I've heard there's been an increase in people parking in disabled bays as people believe they won't get clamped, annecdotal though, so I'm not sure there's much basis to it as I'm couped up and sticking to my neighbourhood.

People who park in disabled bays and illegally should without doubt be clamped. I am sure that many car parks have plenty of room to park these days but I still think the charges should be reduced or indeed suspended for now anyway.

The party's over for free parking- at least in Dublin.

Clamping for non payment of charges will re-commence tomorrow.

Back to public transport................

mf

The party's over for free parking- at least in Dublin.

Clamping for non payment of charges will re-commence tomorrow.

Back to public transport................

mf

Wonder what the logic of that is? Surely, if you need to get to work, it is better to use private transport...Weird....

Would have thought the risk of more people on public transport was much riskier than a few people deciding to drive in and walk around the city.

Maybe that's it, the people who are currently driving into town to go to a preferred shop wouldn't take the bus to do so and would stay local instead?

That or they're afraid of creating another water charges fiasco where people protest having to pay for something that they got used to being free when earlier charges were abolished? :D

The current traffic volumes could be an opportunity to reinvent transportation around our major cities.

I suspect a bit of ideological Green zealotry is operating here. They absolutely HATE private cars and it must be really galling for them to see cars move so freely around Dublin City. That thinking is received doctrine in Dublin City Council.

They absolutely HATE private cars

I've heard that before, but the vast majority of infrastructure in Dublin city centre is dedicated to private cars, even though the majority of commuters into the city take other modes of transport. The evidence on the ground would suggest they hate the others more.

Back