Tilers left a crate outside my home with leftovers

When you bought the tiles wastage had to be allowed for, this wasteage is yours. Its not the tilers responsibility to get rid of your waste.

They are called baby skips (www.babyskip.ie) and you can buy them in a lot of places. I got mine in spar but i have seen them in woodies and i think atlantic homecare also. I think the num to call is printed on the baby skip but it is also on the website. I've found it to be a really good service. I bought the midi skip and it was plenty big and we fit loads in it.

They say at website that they will not take sharp objects. Waste/broken tiles can be quite sharp.

Buzzard,

It is common practice for Builders to clear up their own mess, why would it be the customers ???

Very unprofessional of tiler.

You should send a letter to Tiler detailing your issues regarding health and safety, why should you clear up his mess ??

It may be commom practice for builders but a tiler is a tradesman and in my opinion they generally don't take the unused tiles and grout etc.
If a plumber changes your bathroom suite does he take away the old one ?

The tiler puts up the tiles and that's the end of what he was asked to do.

How exactly is €80 "free"? :confused:

The bag is free with these people If you want to fill it with rubbish and have them remove same the cost is approx. €80. If you want you could just keep the bag and use it for storing stuff possibly in the garden.

They were handing them out on Saturday when I was out shopping.

Hi Sammie,

I recently had work done in my house by 2 different tilers and each left behind a mess. I just took it that we had to remove it. We got one of the mini skips. I think they are about a tenner to buy in the supermarket, 3 different sizes. They are really handy to use and when you fill them you just ring the company and pay by cred card over the phone (about 70 euro I think) and they pick it up within 4 days. I got 2 of these skips and on both occassions they were picked up the next day. You could be waiting a long time for the tiler to come back and collect them so I would just save yourself a lot of hassle and get one of the mini skips.

I would class them more as a bag rather than a skip.

There appear to be two ways to use them. With the company I mentioned above you can get the free bag and pay when the bag is full and to be collected. The other company http://www.babyskip.ie/index.htm sell the bags in supermarkets and you pay the extra top-up charge when you arrange the collection.

Both types appear to be popular at the moment as I see them outside a lot of houses.

Sammie...when do you think you will have reached the point when you have spent more time complaining about the crate than it would have taken to actually remove it yourself.

might not be right in your eyes but sometimes easier just to sort it out ...it could be worse you could be chasing him for problems with tiling etc etc

hence the reason I posted my question on AAM for advice! and i only posted it on monday. loads of great advice given and taken!

Back