"The Kilns", Portmarnock-any thoughts on the development?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: "The Kilns", Portmarnock? any thoughts on the development?

I guess I'll just stick my oar in and say that some of what we are discussing is part of a much wider "Portmarnock-Good/Bad" which is discussed in another thread.

I don't want to hijack this one with wider issues, even if they are very relevant to living in Portmarnock/The Kilns.

Have any of the units in Blocks 1, 2 or 3 been released for snagging yet?

some funny stuff there Lappy.
Tesco is a 3 min drive away and you think the apts are overpriced.
Is this the first place you looked at?

The whole of Dublin is over priced at this stage.
Its a case of damage limitation.
I think porto is a great location

I agree Shiva - 2 bed apt. in Balgriffan is now €375K, 2 bed apt. in the Coast baldoyle is now €390K, so €400k for Porto seems very good in comparison - considering houses in Porto would be priced reasonably higher than the other 2 locations. The Kilns is a very small private development, which is worth alot - no through traffic which is great. The whole Irish property market is a complete rip off. Then again - most people will have made about €100K before they even turn their key in there unit in the Kilns - so ya can't complain too much.

What are the sq foot size for the 2 beds. Also what about balcony sizes and gardens. I see some of the buildings have adjacent gardens don't know if they are 2/3/4 beds.

Tesco is more than 3 minutes away. Try queing to even get near the lights at Campions pub coming from Portmarnock between 4-6pm for example and you'll tear your hair out. And to be honest, the stuff they sell in Tesco wouldn't be the freshest compared to Superquinn in Sutton for example.

Without a doubt, every property in Ireland is overpriced.

I just find it weird how you can buy larger apartments for circa the same money about 3 kms from Dublin city centre yet Portmarnock is so far out and you still pay close to the city prices.

If you want to live out there that's one thing, but for people saying they are going to get the DART all the time and that's why they bought there, you could buy a lot closer to town and WALK for the same money.. that's the bit I don't get.

the Kilns is a good choice in my view simply because of its spec, it's relatively small size of devlopment....its surroundings etc....i paid 335 for a 2 bed - about 740 sq ft with a balcony that runs 16ft around....where in town would you get something half decent for that? people say you can buy for the same money near town....but where???? there's an apartment block on sale neat Connolly Station for 500k....and guess what, the area is an absolute kip. the kilns it's just a 20 min train ride to Portmarnock from town - less than it takes to get out to Blackrock... i bought there because I wanted to be nearer to Malahide, the airport, the beach... i have no interest in "town" apart from travelling into work.

beachman said:
the Kilns is a good choice in my view simply because of its spec, it's relatively small size of devlopment....its surroundings etc....i paid 335 for a 2 bed - about 740 sq ft with a balcony that runs 16ft around....where in town would you get something half decent for that?

See, you paid 335.. I'm talking about the cost of buying one now. I know of someone who paid 295 for something in the Kilns.. they're all good prices. But 400k??

Just as an example.. I've bought in the Phoenix Park Racecourse, it's 3 kms to town. It was slightly more at €415,000 but for that I have a 900sq ft apartment, a HUGE balcony, granite worktops, 2 car spaces, one train station nearby and another one on the way, the M50 nearby, great bus service, Castleknock village, the Phoenix Park etc etc

It is a much bigger development but bottom line is, it's 3 kms to the city centre.

Obviously that's not 335k but it's pretty close on the 400k you'll pay for the Kilns now.

I'm basing all of what I'm saying on location and price, there's no doubt that the Kilns is a lovely development.

CCOVICH.. in fairness, we're discussing The Kilns and the price of them, by and large, not Portmarnock.

Lappy - we are delighted your happy with your purchase near town . We are happy with ours so no need to slate it. Affluent suburbs are always priced high - look at Skerries - 2 bed house cica 740 sq ft are in excess of €350k. And thats another half hour up the road. Some people are paying these prices to be out of concrete jungle/urban sprawl & in a community. Not everyone wants to be on towns doorstep. I personally can't wait to get well away from the city after work, and to do it in 20 mins on the Dart is great.It would take you longer to get to Ranelagh on the bus. Congrats on the apartment .

I also agree - keep this thread to the Kilns - any problems with snags so far??

portochick said:
I personally can't wait to get well away from the city after work, and to do it in 20 mins on the Dart is great.

I dunno when you can do it in 20 mins, I can't from station rd anyway.

I can generally get from Connolly to the DART station (adjacent to The Kilns) in 20 minutes (morning and evening).

anyone any news on the development or has this been changed to my location is better than yours

ha ha!!! very good! Anyone snagged yet?

Hi all, just to let you know I got to see the inside of our 3 bed duplex yesterday in block three and the finish is top class. Only issue I had was that I thought the balconies were quite small. So I am hoping to get a snagging date some time next week

Any trains go past when you were there? Quite nosiy from the links so I would imagine you would really hear it down there.

To be honest, from living in Seabrook, people have got used to both the trains and planes and neither cause much of a problem as far as I am concerned/know of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back