The feud(s) in Limerick

Betsy Óg, never thought of the first point, makes loads of sense and your 2nd point too, I think we need some decent PR.

How come that the local boys in blue did not see this in it's infancy? Surely this could have been averted or deflected. If the local guards are supposed to know their patch .......... then the powers that be have really left the law abiding citizens down. There's very little intelligence gathering ...... and the price paid for it (allowing grasses to operate with impunity) is too large. How about giving the Army boys some of the guards overtime and let them do the biz.

.... Limericks image problem is twofold:

1) It doesnt have a counter balancing image

2) The meeejah report everything as "Limerick", whereas in Dublin they dont say a scanger was shot in Dublin,,,,

Interesting (and perhaps accurate points) BO!

I originally heard these exact points in the early to mid eighties when Limerick was suffering from the same "image" problem (stab city etc)

My view is that the problem is far deeper and systemic than mere image and media treatment. If Limerick had got to grips with the real problem in the 70's 80's rather than blaming image and media I think she would be in a better position today.

Well said Ajapale. About time some straight talking was done by politicians. But then, they wouldn't get the votes of these gurriers ......... who now have a large tranch at the ballot box.

And as somebody else wrote earlier. These criminals are having their egos inflated by the media bigging them up.

My view is that the problem is far deeper and systemic than mere image and media treatment. If Limerick had got to grips with the real problem in the 70's 80's rather than blaming image and media I think she would be in a better position today.

Again this post would make it sound like Limerick is a time bomb, that crime is on every corner. Its a city with city problems. The reason I say the problem is image based is that it costantly gets a hammering as being a city torn between the feuding gangs as if all the innocents are caught in the middle. The reality is so different from the portrayed image that so many people outside of the city hear and read about that it damages the image and identity of a bustling city.

Well said Ajapale. About time some straight talking was done by politicians. But then, they wouldn't get the votes of these gurriers ......... who now have a large tranch at the ballot box.
I wouldn't think any politician is depending on the votes of 'gurriers'. Right across the country criminals have taken a huge step forward as to how violent they have become and how little they respect life, the laws of the land will have to change accordingly. We do need much stiffer punishments and assessment of the prison system needs to be undertaken. The regular feedback of prisoners on mobiles, dealing drugs etc in prison is depressing and needs to be really looked at.

My friends brother had been in and out of prison for best part of 25 years up to 7 years at a time and it never phased him to go back. Last time he was out I said how does it feel to be back and he said 'cold'. The prison was nice and warm. If theres no fear of prison whats the deterrant?

Back