The eighties were better ?

Loved the eighties music, cycled to school, no SUV's.
Nowadays cameras and video cameras everywhere and big brother watching every thing.

Depends where you lived. In Dublin we had 4 channels in the mid 1970s. RTE2 was #5 in late 70s and Channel 4 was #6 in early 80s.

I recall travelling up to visit the cousins every year and watching the wrestling on a Saturday afternoon, townies were so more sophisiticated then us !!

B'fheidir go bhfuil tusa an "sean duine cos uait san uaigh" anois.

What has Sean Dunne got to do with Peig Sayers?

The fact that after 13 years in school learning Irish I still struggle with my smallies 2nd class Irish says a lot about school in the 70's and 80's

What has Sean Dunne got to do with Peig Sayers?

The first line of Peig is "sean bhean mise anois, cois uaim san uaigh" I am an old woman now with one foot in the grave.

After your post 55 above, I was suggesting, tongue-in-cheek, that while you were the bored student in the 1980s who had to endure Peig, now perhaps it is you who is the grumpy old woman.

The first line of Peig is "sean bhean mise anois, cois uaim san uaigh" I am an old woman now with one foot in the grave.

Cremeegg,

Why are you making things up and butchering an teanga álainn?
That said, it's clear that you speak the good English! ;)

After your post 55 above, I was suggesting, tongue-in-cheek, that while you were the bored student in the 1980s who had to endure Peig, now perhaps it is you who is the grumpy old woman.

Age is but a number and as for being a woman................... Grumpy is probably accurate though :mad:

Sold all my books after the leaving bar 2, Peig Sayers and the English translation which both went on the fire. I do regret not having better Irish but that wagon was not the way to teach it.

Peig Sayers and the English translation which both went on the fire. I do regret not having better Irish but that wagon was not the way to teach it.
I agree that Peig should not have been on the leaving cert it was way beyond the comprehension of young students, afterall it was basically the story of an old woman looking back on her life on the Blaskets. However it did give a rare view into island life in the nineteeth century . I think it wasnt actually written by Peig but by Robin Flowers an english academic who went to live on the island, Peig told her life story and he wrote it down as she couldn't write herself I think.

Peig was only one book though in an anthology of works from the blaskets, others include "twenty years a growing" and "The Islandman". They are an extraordinary look into island life in the nineteenth and early 20th centuries. They then became central to the Gaelic revival movement, but none of it would have been written except for a Norwegian and an English academic. It's a pity that peig was force fed to young students by over zealous Gaelic fundamentalists.

Ah the eighties where cash was king.

In advertising of a now closed media company you got 20% commission for cash deals and 15% if the advertiser paid by cheque.

I specialized in housing development advertising where cheques did not exist for some clients

Mortgages were easy to come by as the local manager made the decision and an envelope and nod got you the mortgage.

And then there was Annabels followed by Leeson Street and then breakfast in the Manhattan.. Now that was life.

The eighties were good

Of course they were better. Mortgage rates above 10% and hitting 16.25% in 1981/82. Inflation at 20.08% in the year to June 1980. Unemployment at 18.8% in 1987. Of course, you could always listed to Renee and Renata.

Inflation like that meant that your mortgage was reduced in real terms by 20% a year. We’ve had no real inflation for 20 years now. That’s why people can’t afford houses.

Back