'Sure Girl' advertisements

Status
Not open for further replies.
The driver in the car is legally responsible for ensuring that any children are wearing their seatbelts.

Did someone bust the law making this advert then? - The driver in this case should have the Wrath of the Law cast upon them. We have the evidence.

Racist - as rmelly says why was this guy not made of white chocolate?

Sexist - imagine the uproar if it was guys taking bites out of a woman.

Gratuitously violent - girls biting lumps of his a** on the bus, what example is this giving to Finglas denizens?

It reminds me of an ad I saw for budweiser.

A young man is standing in a hotel hall way in his dressing gown, it gets caught in his door, he spots a 4 pack of bud goes over to it and at the same moment a middle aged woman opens the door looks at him naked says, "happy birthday to me", and drags him in to the room

If it had been reversed where a young woman had been dragged into the room by an older man there would have been uproar

S.L.F

Personally, I prefer the old "Sure" ads some obviously naked young ladies sprayed the deoderant onto their torsos through a "tick" shaped hole in a big leaf, thus demonstrating the effectiveness of the spray on the treated area relative to every other part of their bodies.

I remember wondering at the time why would you cut a tick shaped hole in a leaf and then spray deodorant through it on to your armpits?

What if you were in a rush in the morning? How could you possibly have the time to (a) find a leaf, (b) cut a tick shaped hole in it and (c) be accurate enough, having only just woken up, to shoot the deodorant through the hole and hit the right spot. It could end up in your ear. Or eye. Or mouth.

I just thought it was mad. And I always assumed drugs might have been taken by those who came up with the idea.

I saw the sure advert earlier and I think the main point of it is stinky arm pits. They were filmed in a van with no apparent seatbelts at the back seats. maybe some vans dont have seatbelts at the back seats. I couldnt tell from seeing the add only once if the van was moving or not.

I remember wondering at the time why would you cut a tick shaped hole in a leaf and then spray deodorant through it on to your armpits?

What if you were in a rush in the morning? How could you possibly have the time to (a) find a leaf, (b) cut a tick shaped hole in it and (c) be accurate enough, having only just woken up, to shoot the deodorant through the hole and hit the right spot. It could end up in your ear. Or eye. Or mouth.

I just thought it was mad. And I always assumed drugs might have been taken by those who came up with the idea.

lol that analysis of a tv ad appears to be the thought process of someone whos just taken acid.......

i saw this last night and remembered this thread. Looks like it was shot inside an old VW van. It doesn't even look like there's seat belts built into the thing.

I really don't share the OP concern about road safety and seat belts use in releation to this ad. Speeding. Acohol abuse. Poor roads conditions. Driving without a license. Thats's how people get hurt not because of some silly ad.

Intersting that no one complains about using teenagers or children in tv ads. I find that very worrying and I believe is a practice banned in Germany for example.

i saw this last night and remembered this thread. Looks like it was shot inside an old VW van. It doesn't even look like there's seat belts built into the thing.

I really don't share the OP concern about road safety and seat belts use in releation to this ad. Speeding. Acohol abuse. Poor roads conditions. Driving without a license. Thats's how people get hurt not because of some silly ad.

Intersting that no one complains about using teenagers or children in tv ads. I find that very worrying and I believe is a practice banned in Germany for example.
Is that the same Germany where there is no speed limit on the Autobahns?

So the Kinder Surprise ads and the Werthers' Original advert about the guy and his grandfather lied to me :eek:
I always thought they were heavily dubbed imported adverts from Germany:confused:

The Germans do have a relatively strict advertising code e.g. unqualified superlatives have been effectively banned for a few decades now I think:

e.g. "The better washing powder..." better than what?

As for the children aspect, the Kinder adverts as Stir Crazy said, would suggest otherwise.
Unless maybe adverts for kids products - as opposed to any products - are exempt.

I think you're wasting your time based on my own past experience. They are an advertising industry self regulatory body with no statutory powers. If they do eventually make a ruling in favour of your complaints then it will probably come long after the advertising campaign has run its course. If I had a problem with a specific advertisement then I would probably sooner complain directly to the company in question rather than bother with the ASAI. Maybe you could ring Joe about this?

Clubman is right about the ASAI, but the [broken link removed] has some teeth.

The advertising industry is riddled from stem to stern with inappropriate content. Cigarette and Alcohol companies want your children to start drinking and smoking as soon as possible. The Garment Industry want your children to be inappropriately sexualised at an early age. The Food Industry wants them to eat ever more processed foodstuffs and fewer raw and unprocessed foods, despite the wealth of evidence that this is deleterious to their health. The Cosmetics industry wants them to start powdering, spraying, exfoliating etc. from their early teens.

I don't dispute that the Sure advertisement is inappropriate. My question is, I suppose, whether there is anybody out there selling product to our children and not using inappropriate advertising if and when and for so often as it suits them?

The Sure advertisement is by no means the worst tv ad content. Has anybody looked closely at the advertisement - which ran during children's television time - for a drink called Sprite Zero. A Nubile young woman goes to a vending machine; She buys Sprite; She becomes aroused. She pulls off her slinky top and throws it at a camera, which is being monitored by a voyeuristic security man. I am not sure what the message is, but I know it is not one which I want a 10 year old girl (or boy for that matter) to see.

I hate the 'live in fear' mentality, but there are just so many threats to childrens' innocence, that it is sometimes hard to avoid the feeling of being under siege.

Has anybody looked closely at the advertisement - which ran during children's television time - for a drink called Sprite Zero. A Nubile young woman goes to a vending machine; She buys Sprite; She becomes aroused. She pulls off her slinky top and throws it at a camera, which is being monitored by a voyeuristic security man. I am not sure what the message is, but I know it is not one which I want a 10 year old girl (or boy for that matter) to see.

I always thought that the woman became too hot and threw off her top to cool off - then showing her extreme skinniness - which was supposed to represent the idea that Sprite Zero wouldnt make you put on weight?
I could be wrong.

Has anybody looked closely at the advertisement - which ran during children's television time - for a drink called Sprite Zero. A Nubile young woman goes to a vending machine; She buys Sprite; She becomes aroused. She pulls off her slinky top and throws it at a camera, which is being monitored by a voyeuristic security man. I am not sure what the message is, but I know it is not one which I want a 10 year old girl (or boy for that matter) to see.

A also found that ad annoying; she was a fine thing and ye could see nothin'! ;)

Back on deodorants, I was surprised to find it wasn't an Irish product

"Sure, it won't let you down"

;)

Going back to the original poster's advert....

I finally saw the advert and I couldn't see any evidence that the vehicle was actually moving as the girls danced and jumped about - we didn't see a car (just an interior), didn't see a driver, didn't see passing scenery......so maybe the girls had jumped into a parked limo and did their thing? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back