Solar Energy and saving money

Hi Switchnet, can I ask what Companies quoted you ?
I got a quote of 17k for12 panels, inverter wiring etc and 5kw battery installation which seems expensive
That looks very expensive.

I joined the group on Facebook, did some research on different manufacturers, and different suppliers.

Some installers are based in different parts of the country, I wanted one either in Dublin, or close to Dublin.

Having got about five quotes, the most competitive quotes came from Zetta Solar and Evolve ECO Solutions. I went with Evolve as they struck me as the larger, longer established, of the two companies. Having been through the process with them, I've no hesitation in recommending them.

For the record, I've no connection with Evolve, I'm just a happy customer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leo
Am I allowed butt in quickly and congratulate Eamon Ryan on the great work done in making EVs and Renewable energy easy for consumers to buy into? /S

Of course my comment is snarky, but honestly after listening earlier today about how Norway is all in EVs, and reading through this thread....smart tariffs (agreed at the outset they weren't appealing), Solar (ages getting paid for what was exported to the grid) and now Batteries (which in theory should be a no brainer to power your gaff at peak rates) it would appear to me that disinformation, lack of Government policy, degrading of EV etc. allowances and.... I give up!

Please continue all.

(For the record my next car will be an EV, I'll be looking to get a heat pump, solar and a battery, just don't have the time to navigate the current mire , perhaps the next government might make this easier if not a no brainer)
Switched two cars to EV in the past 18 months (albeit second-hand), got the EV charger installed with grants, got the solar + battery installed with grants, got the FiT paying out within 4 weeks. It's a bit of self-education and admin/paperwork, but I honestly don't know why folks treat it like some sort of government conspiracy. We could've gone the Arlene Foster Renewable Heat Incentive Scandal route, I guess!

Switched two cars to EV in the past 18 months (albeit second-hand), got the EV charger installed with grants, got the solar + battery installed with grants, got the FiT paying out within 4 weeks. It's a bit of self-education and admin/paperwork, but I honestly don't know why folks treat it like some sort of government conspiracy. We could've gone the Arlene Foster Renewable Heat Incentive Scandal route, I guess!
Great stuff @conor_mc there is great value in used BEV's at the moment. I've been eyeing up an EV6 GT line for a while and when I had a look last week was surprised at the prices I might just bite....

Parts of my previous post was around the discusion on Solar panels and batteries. If getting solar today really you should stretch to at least a 5kw battery.

Yes individuals can self educate, but my main point was why is the BEV, solar, heatpump discussions so complex? And why are the government not simplifying all of this? While also reducing the grants and perks available BEV wise. A colleague of mine, who is super green cannot believe the reduction in grants and tolls for EVs!

This really all could be a lot easier for the average person without looking at facebook groups or forums imho. Instead of corporate entities filling this space, why not have a Government Bonkers style website to help consumers and dispell the FUD?

Back