Solar Energy and saving money

As to your attitude to smart meters, it genuinely is following an uneducated pitchforks-and-torches herd.
Exactly, it amazes me how many people have no idea what they're talking about, haven't put even the slightest bit of effort into actually understanding it and fall for the grand conspiracy theories and are absolutely convinced everything from smart meters to fluoridation and vaccines are all part of some massive conspiracy to subjugate us!

Then throw in they're spending thousands on PV without factoring the additional savings that would make if on a smart plan and you really have to wonder what went wrong with the education system.

For the record, it was me, not WheelieBin, who wrote - not for the first time - that I wouldn't touch any of the currently available "SMART" Plans with a bargepole.

And (I would have assumed that this was obvious, but for anyone with comprehension difficulties) that's MY opinion based on lengthy and comprehensive research into the available SMART options. It relates solely to MY consumption of electricty in MY humble (BER A1) home.

I wouldn't dream of arguing that SMART plans may well suit other consumers with different lifestyles and energy requirements.

Incidentally, I've just ordered an even longer bargepole from Amazon.com!

Last edited:
There seems to be some inaccurate info in this thread. A smart meter once installed works like a regular meter but automatically reports meter readings to ESB Networks. The Meter Configuration Code remains the "legacy" MCC01 (24 hour mode) or MCC02 ("Nightsaver" day/night mode). At this stage the meter has not been activated for smart services but it is still reporting meter readings automatically.

If the user chooses to activate it for smart services by contacting their service provider or ESB Networks then the MCC will be changed to MCC12 or MCC16 depending on the smart tariff selected. The activation for smart services will most likely happen as a by-product of opting for a smart tariff with a service provider. And, as far as I know, in practice they will only be able to opt for smart plans from then on. I'm not aware that you can ever go back to MCC01/MCC02 once you have left it.

Edit: just found this page and it probably explains it better than me...

Last edited:
I’ve got a similar system to the OP for 2 years now. Have a smart meter but still on a day/night tariff . I ran the numbers and it works best for our house. It’s horses for courses but it’s a really good investment.

Back