Solar Energy and saving money

As to your attitude to smart meters, it genuinely is following an uneducated pitchforks-and-torches herd.
Exactly, it amazes me how many people have no idea what they're talking about, haven't put even the slightest bit of effort into actually understanding it and fall for the grand conspiracy theories and are absolutely convinced everything from smart meters to fluoridation and vaccines are all part of some massive conspiracy to subjugate us!

Then throw in they're spending thousands on PV without factoring the additional savings that would make if on a smart plan and you really have to wonder what went wrong with the education system.

For the record, it was me, not WheelieBin, who wrote - not for the first time - that I wouldn't touch any of the currently available "SMART" Plans with a bargepole.

And (I would have assumed that this was obvious, but for anyone with comprehension difficulties) that's MY opinion based on lengthy and comprehensive research into the available SMART options. It relates solely to MY consumption of electricty in MY humble (BER A1) home.

I wouldn't dream of arguing that SMART plans may well suit other consumers with different lifestyles and energy requirements.

Incidentally, I've just ordered an even longer bargepole from Amazon.com!

Last edited:
There seems to be some inaccurate info in this thread. A smart meter once installed works like a regular meter but automatically reports meter readings to ESB Networks. The Meter Configuration Code remains the "legacy" MCC01 (24 hour mode) or MCC02 ("Nightsaver" day/night mode). At this stage the meter has not been activated for smart services but it is still reporting meter readings automatically.

If the user chooses to activate it for smart services by contacting their service provider or ESB Networks then the MCC will be changed to MCC12 or MCC16 depending on the smart tariff selected. The activation for smart services will most likely happen as a by-product of opting for a smart tariff with a service provider. And, as far as I know, in practice they will only be able to opt for smart plans from then on. I'm not aware that you can ever go back to MCC01/MCC02 once you have left it.

Edit: just found this page and it probably explains it better than me...

Last edited:
I’ve got a similar system to the OP for 2 years now. Have a smart meter but still on a day/night tariff . I ran the numbers and it works best for our house. It’s horses for courses but it’s a really good investment.

Bonkers and others speak of activation as referring to the registration of the meter with ESB Networks, until that happens reading data is stored locally on the meter and has to be read manually.

In my own case the guy installing mine told me activation would complete in the following days, and from that point readings would be available via ESB Networks portal. In cases where there is poor coverage, that activation isn't always successful.

I'm beginning to wonder if "activation" may have different meanings here - (a) just getting the smart meter installed and working, (b) activation of the meter to automatically report readings to ESB Networks, and (c) activation of smart services changing the MCC from MCC01/MCC02 to MCC12/MCC16?

Unfortunately none of the powers that be (CRU, ESB Networks, individual electricity providers) seem to have done a very good job of communicating such details to consumers. I see the same questions being asked and a lot of head scratching on many other sites (Boards, Reddit, etc.) and in real life. Including my own earlier confusion...
My own smart meter is still in MCC02 ("Nightsaver" day/night) mode and I think that it's reporting readings automatically but I never explicitly activated anything, certainly not smart services.

Last edited:
I’ve got a similar system to the OP for 2 years now. Have a smart meter but still on a day/night tariff . I ran the numbers and it works best for our house. It’s horses for courses but it’s a really good investment.
me too, i was a spar employee for 5 minutes and got the flogas BWG affinity tariff, with a large battery HV and a heat pump d/n still best for us.

I'm beginning to wonder if "activation" may have different meanings here - (a) just getting the smart meter installed and working, (b) activation of the meter to automatically report readings to ESB Networks, and (c) activation of smart services changing the MCC from MCC01/MCC02 to MCC12/MCC16?
Yeah, I've seen the use of the term 'switching' used for moving between the MCC profiles. It;s switching from one configuration code to another rather than an activation.

My own meter is still on the MCC01 configuration and I have access to the 30 minute billing data via the ESB Networks portal.

Yeah, I've seen the use of the term 'switching' used for moving between the MCC profiles. It;s switching from one configuration code to another rather than an activation.

My own meter is still on the MCC01 configuration and I have access to the 30 minute billing data via the ESB Networks portal.
Leo , you may need to check this out again. If you are on a MCC01 configuration you are still on an old style 24 hour tarrif. Sounds like you have a smart meter fitted but you have not signed up to a smart tarriff yet. If you are on a smart meter tariff the code on your bill should be a MCC12 or MCC16. Maybe you are looking at an older bill.

Leo , you may need to check this out again. If you are on a MCC01 configuration you are still on an old style 24 hour tarrif. Sounds like you have a smart meter fitted but you have not signed up to a smart tarriff yet. If you are on a smart meter tariff the code on your bill should be a MCC12 or MCC16. Maybe you are looking at an older bill.
My meter is in MCC02 mode on a (non-smart) "Nightsaver" day/night tariff and I can download half hourly readings from My Smart Data. I don't think that there's anything incorrect or contradictory in @Leo's post.

This is not my point , Clubman. I too have a smart meter fitted , configured as MCC01 an old style 24 hour tarrif, but like you and Leo , I am not signed up for a smart meter TARRIFF , which was what was being recommended by Leo.
My smart meter also sends reads back to Networks every half an hour and I can check my usage from my phone /laptop , but that doesn't mean I'm on a smart meter Tarrif. There is a huge difference.

This is not my point , Clubman. I too have a smart meter fitted , configured as MCC01 an old style 24 hour tarrif, but like you and Leo , I am not signed up for a smart meter TARRIFF , which was what was being recommended by Leo.
I don't think that @Leo was issueing a blanket recommendation for smart tariffs - just where there is solar installed locally or the smart plan would otherwise yield savings given a particular user's electricity usage patterns.
Activating the meter will enable accurate measurement of what you export likely getting you a better payment.

You'd be mad not to take another look. A smart plan will almost certainly work out cheaper where there is solar.

I acknowledge that Leo is not giving a blanket recommendation for smart tarrifs but the point of my last post is that he says in a previous reply he has on in a smart meter tariff himself but going by his latest bill with MCC01 showing , he is clearly not. It is important , in my view to be accurate for the benefit of all users of this AAM group.

My understanding is that once a smart meter is installed , it automatically will enable measurements of your usage activity .
You can choose to remain on an old style Mcc01 or MCC02 tariff with the benefits of the data you can access on your laptop or phone.
You can alternatively switch to a " time of day" tariff , also with the same data available.. Your meter is then configured to MCC12 or MCC16.
If you sign in to a Smart Meter tariff , you don't have an option to return to an older type tariff again.

I don't have an EV, I work from home most of the time and smart plans are cheaper based on my usage data over the past few months. If I had solar they would be cheaper still.

He certainly implied it with this statement. If Leo is adamant that smart plans are cheaper based on his usage data over the past few months , why is he not taking his own advice.?

Reactions: jim
Wheelie bin is making an important point. It seems Leo is strongly endorsing smart tariffs and at same time it seems Leo is not on a smart tariff. Best thing would be for Leo to clarify rather than other attempting to defend Leo. As wheelie said its very important that accurate and clear info is given and there is a lack of clarity on this point.

Back