SKY TV/Broadband "Service."

I got one in November and one in December. No notifications for either. I imagine the 1st one is coz contract was out, and second one I have no idea.
I'd imagine your contract end date didn't line up with your billing cycle, so you got part of the increase in November, and December is your first 'full' month at new price.
Can you not see your bills online? I'm not a sky customer, but it's fairly standard practice.

@RedOnion I can, from what I can see, the Nov bill had some odd amounts, ie 38.85 & 54.17 and Dec was 40.00 & 55.00. so it looks like some kind of rounding. It had gone for 65 to 93 and now 95, so all in a 30pm Euro/ 46%pm increase.

I'm leaving SKY anyhow, but the whole experience has been poor. If they had simply emailed me to tell me I was out of contract, if they had answered in some manner, communications sent to them, and if they had kept me in the loop as to what was going on, this would have been a better experience. As it is, I can say for certainty I won't be back to SKY. As of now, they are saying I need to SPEAK to them (chance of that would be a fine thing )- to cancel the TV aspect of the contract. I've asked to see where this is stipulated in the contract. They say they'll have someone phone me, again, my confidence in this isn't high.

Last edited:
Update: I've informed SKY I'll be canceling. They had agreed to phone me (they apparently cannot take cancellations by email for some reason) and I asked them to do this, particularly as I literally couldn't get in touch with them by phone or Messenger. You seem to be transported into a cyber-vortex where, if you're lucky, you get a message about an hour into the hold time (yes, an hour) that they 'haven't forgotten about you.'

Anyhow, I was working online today, so I emailed them to cancel and decided to chance contacting them via Messenger. You are led thru hoops by SKY's 'virtual assistant' to make sure you are who you say you are, and why you are in touch, (I want to cancel), part or all of the package? (all), reason (terrible service). The 'assistant then informs you you must speak to one of their 'billing experts'(indeed) but they are quite busy and will connect you 'as soon as possible.' One hour later, 'we have not forgotten you' (could have fooled me), 'your query is important to us' (really?). No info given on how long the holdtime is, no option to get a call back, literally the deathly sound of silence. I finally left the chat after two hours and fifteen minutes.

In all my years of dealing with companies and services, I don't think I've ever had such a negative experience. And when SKY do respond, they ignore parts of the queries, but always manage to inform me that I must speak to a rep before they will cancel. That's the one thing that always gets mentioned. I've raised the issue with COMREG asking they revoke the clause that stipulates a person must speak to SKY to cancel as it is a bar to competition. And, as a by the by, no response from them either.

Anyway, I've given them due notice in the only way I can, and they can ring me if they wish; I'll cancel the direct debit, but the one thing this has ensured for me is that I'll never go back to SKY. What a bloody palava, and I'm none to impressed with regulation of this industry.

Last edited:
Hi horusd,
I cancelled my service with Sky a few weeks ago , I rang 0818 719819, Sky Ireland, and was surprised to get through so quickly, and gave them 30 days notice.
They tried to get me to stay but I was not going to anyway. It was done pretty quickly. I will be finished in two days time and no regrets.
I did"nt have any problems with them it was just too expensive for what we were looking at.

Hi horusd,
I cancelled my service with Sky a few weeks ago , I rang 0818 719819, Sky Ireland, and was surprised to get through so quickly, and gave them 30 days notice.
They tried to get me to stay but I was not going to anyway. It was done pretty quickly. I will be finished in two days time and no regrets.
I did"nt have any problems with them it was just too expensive for what we were looking at.

HI Joer

long story, but basically I'm out of the country so cannot dial that number from overseas. SKY seems to offer Messenger, but I've never actually chatted with anyone. Today's holdtime of 2:15 was the icing on the cake. I'll be gone no matter what, and NEVER back to them but they have some neck charging people over 1100 Euro and not picking up the phone. It's utterly self-defeating and this is the irony. It seems they insist I speak to their 'Customer loyalty team,' who are presumably tasked with holding on to customers, yet this very insistence and lack of availability of the self-same team is what has ensured I will leave no matter what. I would have been happy to haggle the price down, but not now. Now I want out, and good riddence.

After probably about 16 hours of holding and endless emails, I finally managed to cancel SKY services. I will never darken their doorway again.

Sky are next to impossible to cancel or downgrade. I ended up giving them the boot altogether because I couldn't suffer another 2 hours on the phone when trying to get risk of the Sports package after the discounted period was up. This was after trying to call them 4 or 5 times previously and giving up after being on hold for hours. I'd nearly seek compensation for the phone calls! Their online account section to amend your package has had some nonsense message about it being temporarily unavailable for at least 2 years.

If you have sky broadband, and look to switch to either eir or Vodafone, what sort of downtime if any if there in loss of service?

Do I tell sky I'm leaving? Or is it like changing electricity provider and the new provider handles the switch? Thanks.

My contract was just up with Sky and I gave the 30 days notice so I was given the 30 days. I switched to Eir So I was never without service. I had my Eit TV service within three days.

I am with Sky and am in the process of moving house. Currently there are 3 of us Working From Home and obviously broadband is essential for that.
I have been told by Sky that there cannot be 2 locations open on the one account at the same time and that my current account at this location has to be terminated first and then the connection re-set up at the new location. Fair enough. However I have been told that it could take a week between the disconnecting and the re-connecting which is not really acceptable given the WFH situation. Any advice?

However I have been told that it could take a week between the disconnecting and the re-connecting which is not really acceptable given the WFH situation. Any advice?
If you are out of contract, why don't one of the three WFH apply for service as a new customer using your new address before you actually move.
Then when you have moved and hopefully service is up and running terminate the service at your old address.

No movement out of sky re broadband. Contract up and they want 50. And new customers get TV and broadband for fifty. After 10 years, left sky and signed up for EIR. 30 euro for same internet for 12 months. No break in service either.

UPDATE: I had agreed a switch to EIR in a contract around the 3/4th FEB with an installation date agreed for 27th FEB. Got a text from EIR 26th to confirm engineer 8/3/21? Phoned, no record of agreed date, rescheduled 3/3/21. No show 3/3/21. Phoned, appoint cancelled. No reason why. Finally spoke to a senior EIR staff member, (after umpteen calls to OPEN EIR -the installers with apparently no connection to EIR and who can't do anything re appointments). Open EIR however can connect you to EIR (I'm calling from Spain) where you are put in the EIR hold system.

Anyhow, spoke to senior guy, he assures me the problem is sorted, I'll have an engineer doing full installation on FRI 5/3/21. I then get a message from him to say that there's 'an order outstanding' from some other supplier which needs to be cleared and then I am to contact EIR again to continue? I message SKY the previous company, and they say they have cancelled the line in accordance with my instructions, and I need to get the new company to install a new line? It was patently obvious that I was switching (SKY in fact asked if I would stay if offer/price could be improved - I declined), I even had a follow up call from SKY asking essentially the same thing - so why they cancelled the line is a mystery.

I then had several more calls to EIR. I rebooked the package, I was assured all was in order, and then I was then told the engineer would only be installing a line, not the full BB/TV package. I called EIR again, they said 'No full package install - guaranteed.' Open EIR said 'nope, line only.' A number of calls later, I was finally informed by EIR only a line would be installed and it might take several days (up to10 workings days in fact) to see if BB would work and if another appointment would be needed to sort this out. I could have wept. I had spent literally hours on the phone, passed from Billy to Jack, and this was the outcome. I had planned this switch long in advance so there wouldn't be a problem. I thought I had covered every issue, but no. I contacted Virgin Media and arranged a full install next week for 100 EUR set up and 20 EUR more than EIR a month, but still 33 EUR less than SKY.

Now here's the thing. These problems could have been avoided with proper systems. EIR simply needed to have the wherewithal to have all ducks in a row beforehand, to check no line problem, to identify that the problem was the line when the issue arose, and to have in hand a working booking system to make the installation seamless and finally to ensure that staff are knowledgeable enough to correctly answer and handle calls. Because of inadequate systems, EIR have expended money on couriering equipment to me (twice) and incurred the staff costs associated with my multiple calls, not to mention the reputational damage and the effective loss of the contract.

SKY could have simply asked (it was kind of obvious) whether I was switching and the line would not have been cancelled. They have a plethora of questions to establish identity, it would be a simple question to ask if a customer is switching to another provider. Had they done this, I would not feel so irked by their actions / response, and they too could have avoided me needing to contact them. In fact, my initial contact with SKY was to negotiate a reduced price and STAY with them, but their inadequate systems made staying impossible. I have to add that my experience with SKY was undoubtedly the worst customer service experience of my life, and that's saying something. I would not return to them if they offered services for free.

So, the outcome of this saga was: 1. SKY lose a customer incur costs and reputational damage. 2. EIR lose a customer, incur costs and reputational damage. 3. The customer has a week without broadband and TV. Not the end of the world, but all utterly avoidable. And finally, Virgin Media gain a customer having been able to respond very quickly to the customer, using WhatsApp and a slick enough online system with staff able to solve the problems the customer needed solving - i.e. proceeding with a connection without a landline. There surely is a lesson in all of this.

Last edited:
I'm with sky 25+ years now and have to say I find there service very good and have had absolutely no problems with their service
My package last year was Sky Signature, box sets and HD all for €44 and was going up to €49
Mrs Cervelo rang them as our contract was up and they told us there was nothing they could offer us
So she rang the loyalty team who offered us the same package at €40 for six months then €44 for the next six months
The €4 increase is due to HD offer only been for six months but were advised to ring then for a further deal on HD
She asked about BB because our Eir contract is up as well but wouldn't match any of the deals other BB providers are offering
The best deal they offered to include BB and Netflix was €85 which is a good €10 more than I can get it for using a mix of suppliers

Have to say as a long term customer of Sky that I'm at the stage where I can now see ourselves leaving Sky because of their ever increasing prices and the simple fact that they are prioritizing new business over old long term customers.
One other thing that irks me is that fact that in 2021 you have to pay for HD, this at this stage should be the standard viewing quality

I do not think that Eir or Sky care about losing customers. I cannot speak for Virgin Media as I never dealt with them.
When I cancelled my Sky contract in December I was asked why I was leaving , I said it was because of bad value for money , lots of channels but not much on any ( I just had the basic package) . I was offered Sky Sports for half price but declined . That was it really . There was an email to say they were sorry that I was leaving , Ill bet. I switched to Eir as I had my phone, broadband and mobile with them. Adding TV was just 10 euro extra per month.
I was 20 euro better off and got Netflix free for three months and 9.99 per month after. I am still better off than having Sky.
I thought that Sky customer service was better than Eir , but it is not it seems

Last edited:
Cancelled sky several years ago. Now have free tv via dish and combi box. Wish I had done it sooner. Father has Virgin. He has a problem and we have both been trying to contact them since before Christmas to no avail. Appalling NON EXISTENT customer service. Buyer beware. He would cancel but he cant do free tv as he is in an apartment. I'd recommend getting a combi box. To save a fortune.

Cancelled sky several years ago. Now have free tv via dish and combi box. Wish I had done it sooner. Father has Virgin. He has a problem and we have both been trying to contact them since before Christmas to no avail. Appalling NON EXISTENT customer service. Buyer beware. He would cancel but he cant do free tv as he is in an apartment. I'd recommend getting a combi box. To save a fortune.
I bought a small tv antenna off aliexpress which you can get all the saorview channels on, it may work for your Dad.
You can also use an old sky box with a UK Freesat card to get UK freeview channels such as bbc, itv, channel 4 etc
aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=tv%20antenna
sat-planet.ie/FREESAT-VIEWING-CARD

He has a problem and we have both been trying to contact them since before Christmas to no avail. Appalling NON EXISTENT customer service. Buyer beware.
I'd recommend getting a number for their loyalty team in Limerick, and call during normal Irish working hours, midweek.
061 272190 or 1890 940 251

You'll get sorted quickly enough if you tell them you'll cancel the contract otherwise.

Back