Selfish Joggers

When out for a walk, just bring along a "social distancing stick". The extendable ones are great, as over time, we may need to increase the distance between us all, assuming we are actually allowed out!!

Hi Isle of Man

I hope I got out of your way, when you saw me.

Brenda

Brendan, you would be familiar with the Owenstown and Foster Avenue entrances to UCD Belfield. I regularly walk in the grounds of UCD and despite there being lots of green fields/spaces to walk, the runners insist on running on the footpaths among pedestrians.

I live in an area which has now become contaminated by joggers but has only one footpath. While some do run aside to give space to others, the vast majority do not and just steam past pedestrians leaving very little space.

I must be honest and say I used to run long distances, cycle for miles and occasionally visited the manky municipal swimming pool some lunch times. To say that I kept fit was an understatement. All that ceased when I reached the mid 50's when eventually I acknowledged that I had some underlying conditions e.g. I still thought I could still beat all 18 year olds in sprints and marathons and even peletons. I had some hurling fantasies that I could out-hurl any county player. I have no problem with people jogging etc but ("Hey Lep! You have problems with everybody and you know it" I hear Purple shouting from some healthy corner within the pale).

I was scraping our front large patch of moss yesterday with the rake trying to protect the moss from the grass when I noticed somebody running past. He was wearing a luminous yellow top (NIKE), Dunnes Stores sports shorts and internet bought running shoes (€72.00 reduced from €190.00 m&m's). Where's all this goin' Lep? I hear you say.

The hedge in front of the house is pretty low, emerald green and thriving despite my neglect. Suddenly, 'oul stock the jogger let fly from the side of his mouth an emerald green solution to match that of the hedge. Its elasticity was superb and when it made contact it managed to stretch over several delicate branches and was capable of trapping insects within seconds. The spit could be described as World Class. I tried following the bloke, but I received my own confirmation that I could no longer sprint like Linford Christie. And so the lemon topped sweat banded one escaped my leprous clutches.

. . . but, I'll get him yet!

Joggers/runners shouldn't be on the road.

On a similar topic what's the story with the amount of adults cycling on the footpath recently? As a rule once the stabilisers are taken off your bike, and certainly once you are over the age of 10, you shouldn't be cycling on the footpath.

So where should joggers/runners be ?

So where should joggers/runners be ?
On the footpath; they are on foot. They should also get out of the way of other pedestrians. You know, be considerate.
Grown-up's shouldn't cycle on the footpath.
Motorists shouldn't drive in cycle lanes (or on footpaths).
I thought everyone knew this stuff.

On the footpath; they are on foot. They should also get out of the way of other pedestrians. You know, be considerate.
Grown-up's shouldn't cycle on the footpath.
Motorists shouldn't drive in cycle lanes (or on footpaths).
I thought everyone knew this stuff.

But with footpath packed with people from children too old people and buggys it's far safer on the road in city's.out in the country side there is no foot paths so in this case where should they go ?

But with footpath packed with people from children too old people and buggys it's far safer on the road in city's.out in the country side there is no foot paths so in this case where should they go ?
They should jog on the road while passing the pedestrians, after checking that there is no traffic. Otherwise they should stop jogging for a few seconds and allow other people to pass safely. You know, be considerate. The other pedestrians have just as much of a right, and a need, to use the footpath safely.
If there is no footpath then obviously they have to use the road. Same thing applies though; be considerate. Oh, and always face oncoming traffic.

Joggers/runners shouldn't be on the road.

On a similar topic what's the story with the amount of adults cycling on the footpath recently? As a rule once the stabilisers are taken off your bike, and certainly once you are over the age of 10, you shouldn't be cycling on the footpath.

Crucify Them! Crucify Them!

. . . . and anybody attending the crucifiction, be mindful of social distancing.

Crucify Them! Crucify Them!

. . . . and anybody attending the crucifiction, be mindful of social distancing.
And the crosses need to be a minimum of 2 meters apart. Obviously.
We'll also need the appropriate PPE for the men (and women!) doing the nailing etc.

On a positive environmental note their bikes can be re-cycled.

I think the people walking their dogs with their dog lead fully extended might be worse than the joggers......totally selfish. You have to get out of not only their way but also their dog's way.

I am not sure why a large percentage of people do not understand the meaning of social distancing. Just looking out the window of my bedroom yesterday on to a fairly busy footpath, I can honestly say that at least 60% of pedestrians were happy to walk along the footpath brushing against each other.
Dozy on the phone walking in a straight line. Another thicko crossed the road to walk towards another pedestrian who then had to walk out on to the road to avoid her. The two idiot couple who looked as if they had only discovered this street and were busy looking at all the houses as they passed by, two abreast, not even aware of people coming toward them. The Family Unit....taking up at least 20 yds of the footpath.....3 kids on bikes....dog on long lead and Mom and Dad oblivious of anyone else (I don't blame the kids). The joggers are unbelieveable.....although there has been an improvement I notice, many are running in to the middle of the road....but some are just as bad as always. I would like to see a ban on jogging on footpaths but I would like to see parks opening up so they can run there.

Reactions: mtk
To be fair, there are a very large number of people suddenly discovering "walking" due to time, boredom, cabin fever, whatever.
In China spitting was made illegal due to a previous outbreak. It should go without saying that joggers ought not to do this - and in all honesty I've rarely seen it.

So there are a considerable number of people on footpaths who have not walked in a long time, if ever. It can feel annoying, but if you are a dog walker to jogger you might also feel aggrieved that your longtime "route" is suddenly crowded with quasi zombified families shuffling along while gawking open-mouthed at all the things around them they have never seen. Liekwise, the men-children on bicycles trailing along footpaths and the wrong way up one way streets who have forgotten that they are no longer 8 years ago and should treat a bike like a vehicle. People who previously walked an effective 5km per day going to work might be housebound, may not have gardens or may live in a very small unit, or share with many others. We all have to be considerate.

Its perhaps time for us to be more tolerant or others and remember that space is not unlimited and we all need to allow each other space.

Back