Selfish Joggers

So why are we asked to keep two metres from other people when outdoors?

As Purple said above, the data isn't showing outdoor contagion as a factor. Studies are showing less than 0.3% of traced cases resulted from outdoor contact, and those are largely prolonged (15+ minute) close proximity to a carrier.

Yes, that about sums it up.
As Purple said above, the data isn't showing outdoor contagion as a factor. Studies are showing less than 0.3% of traced cases resulted from outdoor contact, and those are largely prolonged (15+ minute) close proximity to a carrier.

I see that Spain has introduced a new law about masks. They must know something. Would this cause Leo and Purple to have second thoughts about their views.

I've adopted the policy of not making an effort if the other people aren't making an effort. Particularly if they are old :)

Many older people may have difficulty keeping their balance, may have hearing/sight difficulties. My own father when he was alive could only step off a footpath where the kerb was lowered.

I would certainly make allowances for older people if I came upon them on the footpath. I cannot understand the above comment.

Many older people may have difficulty keeping their balance, may have hearing/sight difficulties. My own father when he was alive could only step off a footpath where the kerb was lowered.

I would certainly make allowances for older people if I came upon them on the footpath. I cannot understand the above comment.
The :) should have given you a hint.

I see that Spain has introduced a new law about masks. They must know something. Would this cause Leo and Purple to have second thoughts about their views.

If you read the report you linked you'd note they reference 'closed and public places where there is a large concentration of people. '

If you read the report you linked you'd note they reference 'closed and public places where there is a large concentration of people. '

It also references : "It says wearing masks is justified as it blocks the transmission of infected droplets in areas where safe distances cannot be guaranteed."

That implies a risk outdoors if safe distancing is not possible - unless it means for a sustained amount of time.

Last edited:
I'd say that it is stretching the definition of the term "jogging" if the jogger takes more than 15 minutes to pass you.

Reactions: Leo
That implies a risk outdoors if safe distancing is not possible - unless it means for a sustained amount of time.

Yeah, like those working outdoors on construction or the likes where they can be in close proximity to others for much of the day.

I decided to drive to Ballsbridge today, park my car and go for a walk. I would say that as low as 10% of people using the footpaths were social distancing. Both myself and my wife would walk to the edge of the footpath and walk in single file. Nobody else coming toward us bothered, just walked in the space that we had vacated.
Joggers on the footpath just ran between people. Non nationals and larger sized people just walked in a straight line. Teenagers in groups cycling on footpaths, none of them moved.
We walked from Ballsbridge to Baggot Street but decided to use the laneways linking both areas on the way back.

We heard him before we saw him. On one of the laneways between Waterloo Road and Wellington Road there was this guy with wife pushing a buggy. He was hocking his loogies straight out as he walked. Never turned his head, never observed any hygiene practices. As people walked toward him on the narrow footpath, neither he nor his wife made the slightest effort to move out of the way. Just walked in their straight line.

People standing directly behind you at pedestrian traffic lights. It's as if social distancing never existed.

Lots of premises selling take out coffee. Overflowing litter bins everywhere. I don't think anyone gives a toss anymore.

Lots of premises selling take out coffee
I was passing by one premises that had an in one door system and out the other door. The set up looked good and well thought out. It was well signposted. However the Covidiots were all getting their coffee and exiting the way they had entered. Brushing against people in the "in" queue.

Are these people just plain thick?

Maybe the person serving the coffee should explain to people to exit out the other door? It is not that difficult.

If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.
The sooner we adopt WHO SD, the easier life will be.

If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.
The sooner we adopt WHO SD, the easier life will be.

If by that you mean 1 metre instead of 2?
I'd have been happy today with 1 metre but some people won't even give one inch :(
Majority in Clontarf have been alright but there's about a third who are clueless or just (ob)noxious.

My problem would be that these idiots cannot follow simple rules on the footpath or enter and exit the right doors in a coffee shop, that I would meet them at Dublin Airport when taking a flight.
Can you imagine them in a queue at security or getting on/off a plane, or waiting at the carousel for your luggage.

Dalkey yesterday topless jogger (male) sweating buckets insisted on staying on v. narrow footpath ....0 social distance

Walking in the grounds of UCD, joggers out in force running along footpaths despite there being lots of playing pitches and green spaces to run around. A couple actually ran toward us despite there being 30' on either side of us where they could pass.

Walking in the grounds of UCD, joggers out in force running along footpaths despite there being lots of playing pitches and green spaces to run around. A couple actually ran toward us despite there being 30' on either side of us where they could pass.
Ì'm all for people being mannerly but unless you are elderly or have small children why would you expect them to move rather than both parties moving out of each other's way? Jogging on wet grass and jogging on pavement are quite different experiences.

Ì'm all for people being mannerly but unless you are elderly or have small children why would you expect them to move rather than both parties moving out of each other's way? Jogging on wet grass and jogging on pavement are quite different experiences.
As I said with 30' of open space on either side of us I am not sure why they ran toward us? The grass wasn't wet either it was dry. We had to walk on the grass in places and leave the footpaths to the joggers. On this occasion we ended up having to move sharply to one side as they veered toward us.

I've adopted the policy of not making an effort if the other people aren't making an effort. Particularly if they are old

Being in my late sixties I do not consider myself elderly and I am not sure what you consider an elderly person to be but these joggers seem to have the same thinking as you, expressed above.

Being in my late sixties I do not consider myself elderly and I am not sure what you consider an elderly person to be but these joggers seem to have the same thinking as you, expressed above.

Some people (joggers, walkers, path cyclists) seem to have the attitude if you've moved a little out of the way they don't need to move out of the way and continue to take up the rest of the path.
It's rude behaviour regardless of covid-19 social distancing.

As I said with 30' of open space on either side of us I am not sure why they ran toward us? The grass wasn't wet either it was dry. We had to walk on the grass in places and leave the footpaths to the joggers. On this occasion we ended up having to move sharply to one side as they veered toward us.
I think both parties should move. If anyone, walking or jogging, doesn't make any attempt to move then it is very rude.
Are you saying that you made no attempt to move at all but expected them to move? If so then I don't see why they should move.
Basically it is incumbent on everyone to be considerate. That was the view I expressed.

Back