Self-Build - Homebuilder.

Noodle, €50k for a garage??!! Is that with Homebuilder or the same crowd that did the Port Tunnel cos it seems bloody expensive! Studio JK, these guys are also based in Wexford and should be able to deal with you, give them a shout anyway for comparision, nothing ventured nothing gained and all that!!

Chancerman, Yeah I thought it was a bit steep for a garage - it's a local builder, a neighbour in fact. I think he might be trying to tell me he doesn't want the work.
I'm going to get Homebuilder to quote!

I'm going to stop now in case you think I'm employed by them, but I would have no hesitation in recommneding them to a first time builder, as we were.

Hi Chancerman,

Are you affilifated to Homebuilder in anyway as we are getting a quote from them and I would like to hear geniune references?
Thanks - stressful time...

We have just sent our plans to homebuilder for a quote. they say a 4 week turnaround. I have heard nothing bad on any forum about them but wanted to ask here who else has used them and are they really that good or do they just craftily gatecrash forums with their own great references?!
Ours is a 3000sq ft dormer in killarney and have no idea what to expect from them.
any help is much appreciated!

How big is big for the garage -

I got a quote for €50000 incl VAT for ~ 50sqm garage... and I don't think it includes heating or plumbing!

crumbs, my garage - 12m x 8.5 m was half that............dry dash outside, plastered inside, fully insulated walls and roof, 3 x windows, 1 x ped door, 3 x electric car doors. Oh, and a 8mx 5m mezzanine inside as well..........

Hi galwaytt,

Can you please tell me where you got your electric garage doors and how much. Also did you go with standard kingspan for insulation??

Thanks

Hi BRK,
Sorry for dely, I've no connection with Homebuilder apart from the fact that I've been employing them since November toi build my house in Meath, they're about 3 weeks from finish, we're under budget and we've never had a problem with them, it's well worth getting a quote from them, but more importantly giving them time to sit down with you and talk thru it with them, they're a nice gang and really appreciate the importance of the project for us, instead of other builders who gave us the impression that they were doing us a favour by working for us!!

Hi BRK,
Sorry for dely, I've no connection with Homebuilder apart from the fact that I've been employing them since November toi build my house in Meath, they're about 3 weeks from finish, we're under budget and we've never had a problem with them, it's well worth getting a quote from them, but more importantly giving them time to sit down with you and talk thru it with them, they're a nice gang and really appreciate the importance of the project for us, instead of other builders who gave us the impression that they were doing us a favour by working for us!!

Without being too specific, is your house not far from Ashbourne?

Noodle, Headcase - did Ye go with homebuilder after - and what did final quotes/tenders work out like.

Chancerman - from research I have done looks like that they Project Manage the build and hire good tradesmen etc. - is that the case?

Noodle, Headcase - did Ye go with homebuilder after - and what did final quotes/tenders work out like.

Chancerman - from research I have done looks like that they Project Manage the build and hire good tradesmen etc. - is that the case?

Hi Demps,

We signed contracts with Homebuilder last week and they should be starting within 2 weeks. Quote for standard build (incl VAT) on our 2680sq ft house worked out about 98/99 euro per sq ft - we have extra's on top so this added to the overall quote to roughly about 125 per sq ft.
From prior research, correct they do project manage the build and the tradesman involved are from a pre-approved list they have.

Thanks Headcase

They seem to have a growing reputation and I am meeting for a quote this week. What stage are they taking the build to - builders finsih or are they doing stuff like kitchen, landscaping etc. What extras are You getting in any harm asking.

I am going with geo and solar with UFH for heat requirements
Thanks again

What stage are they taking the build to - builders finsih or are they doing stuff like kitchen, landscaping etc. What extras are You getting in any harm asking.

They are completing to builders finish. Main extras include supply & fit for underfloor heating / pre-cast flooring (1st floor), solar heating (water only), 4 piers & 2 stone walls (entrance), stone finish (2 sides of house) & monochouse on other 2 sides), wooden celling finish in sun room & hardwood stairs plus a few more things.

Got a quote from Homebuilder on the strength of this thread recently and must say I was very disappointed with it. The quote was a lot higher than other quotes I've received from other reputable companies.

€30 per sq ft more expensive for lower quality finishes e.g. white pvc windows compared to coloured on other quotes etc.

I have also just recently received a quote from Homebuilder and was very disappointed with it,again based on the recommendations of some posters.

There is nothing amazing about the house plans simple enough 1 1/2 storey house 2200sq ft, quoted €240,000 which did not even include the windows/stairs/sanitary ware/sewage treatment system/radiators/or oil fired heating. These are all extras which if i was to take would bring the total price to around €290,000.

Am i completely naive or is that what i should expect to pay??

Hi Selfbuildkk,

Strange, my quote for my 2,700sq ft house was about 20k higher but included white pvc windows, softwood stairs, a (small) allowance for sanityware, water sewage treatment system & radiators. Oil fired heating was an extra over though. I cannot reason as why to your quote would in effect be higher? All I can say is to date they have been very good and the house is nearly finished and we are very pleased with the outcome. Virtually stress free and our dedicated supervisor has been brilliant.

thanks for the reply, i did think that it was very pricey,having said that i was told by their rep that it was open to negotiation but even with strong negotiations i dont think it would reduce the price that drastically.as i said in previous post its nothing out of the ordinary.Can i be so bold as to ask whether or not you had to negotiate on the price or were you happy with the initial quote,and if you did was there much in the difference?thanks again all help greatly appreciated.

Selfbuildkk,

Not much negotiating as we received 3 to 4 quotes from other contractors before we decided to go with Homebuilder as they were the most competitive at the time (around this time last year). We also spoke to 2 clients on their books (one finished and one nearly completed). They both spoke highly of them. No harm to negotiate the price down but as you say will it come down by a more agreeable amount? Any harm to ask what area of the country your building in?

ya no probs, were hoping to build in kilkenny,i have friends who have recently completely houses, builders finish varies in size between 2600 and 2900 for between 140,000 and 165,000.no trade experience no favours, no hours labouring.fabulous houses no corners cut.excellent finishes.

Back