>>Scams to look out for

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a piece in the tallaght echo recently about a woman calling around houses pretending to be a distressed neighbour in dire need for a loan of money so she can buy her child baby forumla/medicine... Sound familiar anyone??

There was a piece in the tallaght echo recently about a woman calling around houses pretending to be a distressed neighbour in dire need for a loan of money so she can buy her child baby forumla/medicine... Sound familiar anyone??
Yes - it was discussed here in the past. Possible in this very thread. Try searching.

New one - spam I assume!!

Dear eircom.net e-mail owner,

This message is from eircom.net messaging center to all
eircom.net e-mail owners. We are currently upgrading our
data base and e-mail center. We are deleting all unused
eircom.net to create more space for new ones.

To prevent your account from closing you will have to
update it below so that we will know its an existing
account.

CONFIRM YOUR E-MAIL BELOW:
Name:.................
Email Username :.....
EMAIL Password : ................
Country or Territory : ..........

Warning!!! E-mail owner who fails to update his or her e-mail
within Seven days of receiving this warning will risk losing
his or her e-mail account permanently.

Thanks,
Eircom.net Upgrade Team
EIRCOM.NET BETA.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
3webXS High Speed Cable or DSL Internet...surf at speeds up to 3.0 Mbps
for as low as $24.95/mo...visit <spam URL removed> or details

Last edited by a moderator:
I just recieved a text from Money Alert - Saying I need to contact them urgently . I need to ring a free phone number. Is this a scam , why would they be looking for me? Has anyone heard of this??

Thanks

Has anyone else been getting silly texts lately like mine- I've been getting texts from different numbers- always the same sort of thing, boyfriend texting girlfriend with few lewd suggestions- then an oops sorry wrong number? Took no notice of first but have received three now which seems a bit of a coincidence- in the last week.

Was just wondering if it is one of those wierd things if you text back they deduct money from account or is it just someone being stupid.

Not sure if this has been posted before but has to be a scam on carzone.ie.
I emailed to different sellers about cars that seemed like great value and this is the reply I got BOTH times by different sellers.
BMW 318Ci Coupe 2002
The price is 4800 euros
Petrol, 2 doors, manual transmission, silver.
ABS, Air Con., Airbags, Alarm, Alloys, CD, Cruise Control, Fogs, Immobiliser, Leather, Metallic Paint, Side Airbags
Excellent Condition, the car was kept in a garage , it has BMW service book,the tires have been changed recently, and doesn't need repairings.It has no engine problem, no scratches.
Registered in Ireland .The car is at the moment in Liverpool, UK.
I live in the USA, I bought the car for my brother who lived in Ireland and then moved to UK. Unfortunately he died recently and I cannot take the car with me.
You do not have to pay any taxes for this car. It is very easy to register it to your name .
I have all the documents ready for sale. The car documents are on my name, so it is very simple.
As payment I only accept cash and we will have to meet in Liverpool for the sale.

Thank you and I hope you will decide to buy my car.
Here are some photos.
Many thanks,Ann.
2002 Audi A3 Ambiente
Price : 4100 euro

Option : NCT 01/2010, Tax 08/2008, ABS Brakes, Air Conditioning, Airbags, Alloys, Car Alarm, CD / Radio, Electric Mirrors, Electric Windows, Full Service History, Ipod Compatible, Lady Owner, Metallic Paint, Power Steering, Remote Central Locking, Sunroof

Excellent Condition, the car was kept in a garage , it has Audi service book,the tires have been changed recently, and doesn't need repairings.It has no engine problem, no scratches.
Registered in Ireland .The car is at the moment in Liverpool, UK.
I live in the USA, I bought the car for my brother who lived in Ireland and then moved to UK. Unfortunately he died recently and I cannot take the car with me.
You do not have to pay any taxes for this car. It is very easy to register it to your name .
I have all the documents ready for sale. The car documents are on my name, so it is very simple.
As payment I only accept cash and we will have to meet in Liverpool for the sale.

Thank you and I hope you will decide to buy my car.
Here are some photos.

This one happened to me. I just didnt believe her. She was a great actress! But something struck me as odd about it at the door (I hadnt heard of the scam when she called), I wondered where the baby was, I wondered why she was calling to me instead of a next door neighbour, I wondered why Id never seen her about in the area etc..... All that went through my head in a nanosecond and when she asked for money I just stood there and said 'no, Im not gonna do that'. I reported it to the guards and she was caught later that day trespassing on someones property in the area, had walked through an open side gate to see could she get anything of value, and the observant home owners had locked her in the back garden and called the guards :)

Re: Gas boiler service

THe other day, we got a photocopied page through the letter box from "GRATE GAS SERVICES". It went like this:

"Grate Gas, on behalf of Bord Gais and Enterprise, have been trying to gain access to your house in order to carry out an essential safety check on all your gas appliances. Unfortunately, we could not gain access and we would be grateful if you could contact the number below to arrange a convenient time for us to visit.

There are two names and mobile numbers given.

We were puzzled as we hadn't made a call to Bord Gais about servicing our appliances. So, just to check, I rang Bord Gais and they said that they knew nothing of it. Their service engineers only come out if the customer requests it and the only way they advertise the servies is on TV and in leaflets accompanying bills.

I'm just posting this to make folks aware - I just hope that the elderly folk in our community aren't fooled into this...

Dear Winner,

We wish to congratulate you over your email success in our
computerballoting held on the 12th September 2008. This is a
Scientific
Computer Game in which email addresses were used. It is a promotional
program aimed at encouraging internet users; Meaning, you do not need
to
buy ticket to enter for it.

Your email account have been picked as one of the ten winning email
address in 2008.You are therefore been approved to claim a total sum
of
£516,778.00(Five hundred and Sixteen thousand,seven hundred and
seventy
eight pounds sterling only) or $921,201:00(Nine hundred and twenty one
thousand two hundred and one dollars only)in cash/check credited to
file
number UK/5678/T85.

Ref: UK/9420X2/68
Batch: 074/05/ZY369
Lucky No:- 07-13-31.54-640
Serial No: - MUO TI/82536

All participants were selected through a computer balloting system
drawn
from Nine hundred thousand E-mail addresses from Canada, Australia,
United
States,Asia, Europe, Middle East, Africa and Oceania as part of our
international promotions program which is conducted annually.This
Lottery
was promoted and sponsored by a conglomerate of some multinational
companies to promote the use of internet around the world.

TO CLAIM YOUR PRIZE.
Simply contact:-

Mr.Bruce Ferguson
Email: [email protected]

Please quote your reference, batch and winning numbers which as well
your
full name,Occupation, Sex, Age,Marital Status, Nationality address and
telephone number .We advice all winners to keep this information
confidential from the public until your claim is processed and your
prize
released to you. This is part of our security protocol to avoid double
claiming and unwarranted taking advantage of this programme by
non-participant or unofficial personnel.

Note, All winnings must be claimed within 30 days from this
notification otherwise all funds will be returned as Unclaimed.

Congratulations once again on your winnings!!!

Best Regards.

Mrs.Angelica Jovan
Co-ordinator(Online Promo Programme)

Dear Winner,

We wish to congratulate you over your email success in our
computerballoting held on the 12th September 2008. This is a
Scientific
Computer Game in which email addresses were used. It is a promotional
program aimed at encouraging internet users; Meaning, you do not need
to
buy ticket to enter for it.

Your email account have been picked as one of the ten winning email
address in 2008.You are therefore been approved to claim a total sum
of
£516,778.00(Five hundred and Sixteen thousand,seven hundred and
seventy
eight pounds sterling only) or $921,201:00(Nine hundred and twenty one
thousand two hundred and one dollars only)in cash/check credited to
file
number UK/5678/T85.

Ref: UK/9420X2/68
Batch: 074/05/ZY369
Lucky No:- 07-13-31.54-640
Serial No: - MUO TI/82536

All participants were selected through a computer balloting system
drawn
from Nine hundred thousand E-mail addresses from Canada, Australia,
United
States,Asia, Europe, Middle East, Africa and Oceania as part of our
international promotions program which is conducted annually.This
Lottery
was promoted and sponsored by a conglomerate of some multinational
companies to promote the use of internet around the world.

TO CLAIM YOUR PRIZE.
Simply contact:-

Mr.Bruce Ferguson
Email: [email protected]

Please quote your reference, batch and winning numbers which as well
your
full name,Occupation, Sex, Age,Marital Status, Nationality address and
telephone number .We advice all winners to keep this information
confidential from the public until your claim is processed and your
prize
released to you. This is part of our security protocol to avoid double
claiming and unwarranted taking advantage of this programme by
non-participant or unofficial personnel.

Note, All winnings must be claimed within 30 days from this
notification otherwise all funds will be returned as Unclaimed.

Congratulations once again on your winnings!!!

Best Regards.

Mrs.Angelica Jovan
Co-ordinator(Online Promo Programme)

Congrats!!! you must be delighted with your win, for some reason those dodge lottery scams always feel the need to spell out the amount you've supposedly won just in case u cant make sense of the number!

Congrats!!! you must be delighted with your win, for some reason those dodge lottery scams always feel the need to spell out the amount you've supposedly won just in case u cant make sense of the number!

This will probably be my last post on AAM - I'll be leaving for the airport in 10 minutes!!:D

Hi,

I think I got a call from a potential scammer yesterday evening...

I received a call at 7PM from a number that just showed up as +10 on my mobile. It was from a guy called Greg from Arrow or Attack investments or something similar in New York, I didn't quite catch the full details as he spoke very quickly. He spoke in a very friendly but forceful manner bombarding me with information and was very vague about where he got my details etc.

When I finally got a word in and interrupted him, I asked him how he knew me (by name) and had my details. He said that he had spoken to me on the phone 6 months ago when I used to work at a large multinational (which he named correctly) and that I used to work with traders etc (which is vaguely right but not completely accurate). He was calling me to tell me that he had some really good advice on current shares and I would need to act very quickly to make money.

I was instantly suspicious because although I worked for the multinational and was in the area of traders etc, I never did any trading of any sort and never spoke to any share advisers or traders regarding shares etc. Also I left the company over a year ago and have since relocated outside of Ireland (kept my Irish mobile though). Also his tone was overly persuasive and he kept trying to reassure me that we had spoken before but I know we hadn't. When I questioned him more he just kept repeating the same stuff so I just said I wasn't interested but he kept on at me until I clearly said "No! I'm not interested at all!" and then he hung up without saying anything.

I suspect that somehow some details of former employment have been obtained by this crowd and with the current turmoil in the trading markets a lot of people would be taken in by it, particularly as the guy was so persuasive and confident.

Be warned, there may be money to made from the current economic situation but just don't expect a random phone call to be the source of your millions and millions :)

Cheers,
Stefg

Could we include these 'free' loans in this list? [broken link removed]

I was reading the paper at the weekend and it was saying at least some of these developers will charge very high interest rates if the loan has not been paid in full by the end of the short period of 5-7 years. This is just another way of fleecing people, particularly the vulnerable who cant and shouldnt get loans for more than they can afford.

Q

Got this email today guys, am I rich :rolleyes:
Congratulation,

This is to inform you that your E-mail address has won a consultation prize of the UK National Lottery EMAIL DRAW

Your e-mail address attached to the Ref N0: UK/9420X2/68 with Batch N0:074/05/ZY369
which subsequently won you the sum of GBP £856,000.00 in category "B" credited to the file Ref N0:KPL/09-002/JA.

To file for your claim, kindly contact our accredited claims agent.

Mr. Dauler .K
E-mail: ...

Note that, all claims processes and clearance procedures must be duly completed early to avoid impersonation.

Regards, Mrs Rebecca Sample
Online Coordinator.

OFFICE OF THE SENATE HOUSE
FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA
COMMITTEE ON FOREIGN PAYMENT
IKOYI-LAGOS NIGERIA

Attn: Beneficiary.

Our Ref: FGN /SNT/STB
Your Ref.

Congratulations The Office of the senate house has chosen you by the
board of trustees as one of the final recipients of a new ATM
promotion cash donation for your own personal, educational, and
business development. To celebrate the 30th anniversary program, We are
giving out a yearly donation of $6.8million(six million and eight
hundred thousand Dollar) to 2 lucky recipients, as charity
donations/aid .From the senate house ,ECOWAS, EU,UNICEF and the UNO in
accordance with the enabling act of Parliament. This card center will
send you an ATM CARD which you will use to withdraw your money in any
ATM machine in any part of the world, But the maximum is five thousand
Dollars per day, so if you like to received your funds please contact
the ATM DEPARTMENT CENTER: Mr. Anthony Obu with details below:

Contact Details as Follows:

NAME: ANTHONY OBU ESQ,
DIRECTOR, ATM PAYMENT DEPARTMENT
CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA (C.B.N).
E-MAIL: [email protected]
PHONE: +2347056645304

And also send the following information:
1. YOUR FULL NAME
2. PHONE AND FAX NUMBER
3. ADDRESS WERE YOU WANT THEM TO SEND THE ATM CARD
4. YOUR AGE AND CURRENT OCCUPATION

Kindest regards,

Mr. David Mark
Senate President.

Have to say this made me laugh.
"I want to warn people from Nigeria who might be watching,if u get any emails from Washington asking for money,its a scam.dont fall for it"
Jay Leno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back