Ryanair proposed takeover of Aer Lingus

Status
Not open for further replies.
As mentioned above, will people stop writing in capitals to get their point across. It's VERY annoying when trying to read

Don't know about dozens or hundreds but there is presumably some spare capacity? For example, I went on a package recently served by charter airline eirjet and because they could not fill the slots with their own planes/crews we actually went out with Slovakia Air and back with Icelandic Air.

Currently speednews.com lists 533 passenger aircraft available to lease...

asaik eirjet used iclandic air a fair few times over the summer on flights back from crete/rhodes. didnt sound like a last miniute arrangement to me when I heard it.

It was in our case. The original eirjet plane/crew got stuck in Verona and wasn't available for the Faro-Dublin route.

Currently speednews.com lists 533 passenger aircraft available to lease...

Speednews? Never heard of them - but hey, lets take a look.
US based company.
Looks like majority of the aircraft operators on the site are US based! Surprise!
Then there are the African carriers. Love them!
And the Asian carriers - all these guys are of course available at the drop of a hat.......not!

Their website search function is crap. Select 'all' in every category except the type of transaction you require - Lease being the appropriate one - yet it still throws up aircraft For Sale etc.

Best of all - the most common commercial type flying around europe is the Boeing 737. Select Boeing 737 from the drop down list, and -800 from the 'type' list (same aircraft Ryanair currently operates).
Result - 4 aircraft available! That'll make a big dent in Ryanairs shortfall, eh!

Looking through the names of the operators on that site its patently obvious that this is a 'fishing' site. A shop window for putative lessors.
Just because an aircraft is listed, that don't mean its available.

By the way - my car is for lease. I'm asking 10 grand per hour, without a driver, 15 grand per hour with 'crew'. And I can only let you have it for 3 hours tomorrow morning because I have to take me granny to the doctor in the afternoon.
No cheques accepted.

By the way - my car is for lease. I'm asking 10 grand per hour, without a driver, 15 grand per hour with 'crew'. And I can only let you have it for 3 hours tomorrow morning because I have to take me granny to the doctor in the afternoon. No cheques accepted.

Tut Tut.
Attempting to screw a profit out of your fellow man like that. And to be in such an environmentally unfriendly business as car hire, I don't know what to think.
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showpost.php?p=295408&postcount=58

-Rd

CM: Makes sense in a roundabout way. If they had an agreement with iclandic air for cyprus/rhodes and they had a problem elsewhere it would make sense to approach them first to see if they could dig them out.

By the way - my car is for lease. I'm asking 10 grand per hour, without a driver, 15 grand per hour with 'crew'. And I can only let you have it for 3 hours tomorrow morning because I have to take me granny to the doctor in the afternoon.
No cheques accepted.

Deal. Sounds good value, do you take visa ?

Deal. Sounds good value, do you take visa ?
Cash only thanks.
Incidentally, would you be interested in a bridge I have for sale in London?

I hear Denis O'Brien has splashed out on 2.1% of the shares in Aer Lingus. Apparently says he supports the pilots bid to block O'Learys takeover.
Anyone remember those adverts a few months back where O'Leary taunted O'Brien as a tax evader?
Payback is sweet.

Ducksy will be spitting nails. Teach him to keep his big mouth shut - or stick to insulting those who can't kick back - like poor ould Bertie.

Mr O'Brien has such a good record as a patriotic Irishman I'm sure he's not in it for himself. Or maybe the hot weather in Portugal has made him light headed ;)

Anyone remember those adverts a few months back where O'Leary taunted O'Brien as a tax evader?
Payback is sweet.

I have an image of O'Leary, O' Brian, The Government and a various Unions all huddled over a giant Monopoly board.

The government keeps getting it's ass kicked selling off cards when it doesn't need to, and then regretting it afterwards. Everybody knows when you have all the cards in a set you shouldn't sell them unless you're broke.

Next to go will be the Electric Company.
Far too few people going directly to Jail in this game though.
They must be using loaded dice.

-Rd

I have an image of O'Leary, O' Brian, The Government and a various Unions all huddled over a giant Monopoly board.

The government keeps getting it's ass kicked selling off cards when it doesn't need to, and then regretting it afterwards. Everybody knows when you have all the cards in a set you shouldn't sell them unless you're broke.

Next to go will be the Electric Company.
Far too few people going directly to Jail in this game though.
They must be using loaded dice.

-Rd

Denis is playing on a different board and the unions are playing out of the same pot as the government...

and holding the winning cards: Michael O'Leary! average purchase price around €2.50. for his 19.2%. no other airline can get a controlling share - winner, if a/l performs well and share price goes up -winner , if share price plummets steps in and purchases more shares at lower price -win again, and if board thinks they can have a nice easy agm, hey this is fun he must be thinking. old saying , keep your friends close and your enemy closer. and he has managed that. and he couldn't buy this publicity.

Yes, who knows what motivates Denis - but Payback could well be one of those motivations.

Sorry cuchulain, but Ducksy is beginning to look like he's on an outside bet now.

Government - 25%
ESOT - 15%
Pilots Pension Scheme - 2.4%
Denis - 2.1%

Total = 44.5%

By my reckoning that leaves the pilots to collect just 5.5% and Ducksy to find another 30%. It could get very interesting - but my guess now is O'Bleary will see the numbers going against him and do a rapid sell-off in the hope of creating maximum damage to both Aer Lingus and its share-holders.
At that point we'll see O'Liary's performance boils down to nothing more than corporate vandalism and sabotage.

but if he does sell off at say 2.50 how much will the pilots pension fund have lost? and who will buy?

but if he does sell off at say 2.50 how much will the pilots pension fund have lost? and who will buy?
Well if I was an Aer Lingus pilot or pension fund trustee I'd probably ask you - how much would the fund lose if O'Liary gets his mits on it?
Hint - more than a few million here or there.

Who will buy? If he can't find buyers then he can't sell, eh?

The irony is that if Ducksys move had been made by almost any other company or individual there would have been far less reaction. The guy is so loathsome he ultimately militates against himself. He has become self-defeating. Maybe Micko will finally be seen as the liability he has really become.

thought pensions funds were ring fenced again companies raiding them?

The guy is so loathsome he ultimately militates against himself. He has become self-defeating. Maybe Micko will finally be seen as the liability he has really become.

lol He is far from loathsome or a liability. He heads one of Irelands most successful companies, one which was built from nothing in the dark days of the eighties. Remember when a seat cost £ 200 to London with Aer Fungus ? And that was when £ 200 was £ 200, and some houses were £ 10,000 to 20,000 in the country ?

Fact is, Ryanair has 3 times more planes than Air Lingus, carries four times more passengers than Air Lingus, but yet Air Lingus has 13% more staff than Ryanair. Who is creating airline hubs on the continent ? Good old Mick O'Leary and Ryanair. Go on Mick, show the continentals what us Irish can do. A real success story. And a decent man to boot , judging by comments from his friends and neighbours.

lol He is far from loathsome or a liability. He heads one of Irelands most successful companies, one which was built from nothing in the dark days of the eighties. Remember when a seat cost £ 200 to London with Aer Fungus ? And that was when £ 200 was £ 200, and some houses were £ 10,000 to 20,000 in the country ?

Fact is, Ryanair has 3 times more planes than Air Lingus, carries four times more passengers than Air Lingus, but yet Air Lingus has 13% more staff than Ryanair. Who is creating airline hubs on the continent ? Good old Mick O'Leary and Ryanair. Go on Mick, show the continentals what us Irish can do. A real success story. And a decent man to boot , judging by comments from his friends and neighbours.
and he lives in Ireland and pays his taxes here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back