Ryanair. Booking of seats.

Ah yes, the good old days.

And who remembers the concept of Apex tickets and a requirement to stay a Saturday night. Then there was the standby option where you packed up and went to the airport without a ticket and hoped you’d get a last minute deal.

And people think it’s complicated now?

On the other hand, I can also remember availing of "bucket shops" to get cheap flights (from Gatwick or Manchester) to exotic destinations back in those halcyon days! (Needless to add, such cheap holidays always involved the use of an overnight ferry and train! I vividly remember sitting in the waiting room in Crewe Station for four interminable hours one cold December night!)

And who remembers the concept of Apex tickets and a requirement to stay a Saturday night. Then there was the standby option where you packed up and went to the airport without a ticket and hoped you’d get a last minute deal.
My DH 's company used to have booklets of Aer Lingus Tickets, business class. And if you changed your flight it was a little sticker was put on it with the new time.

The practice of Ryanair allowing people to go through the check in gate and then having them to queue on a staircase with the door at the bottom closed should be stopped. You are basically left in a potentially dangerous situation. You then have to walk to the plane and queue at the bottom of the steps until the staff are ready to let you board.

The practice of Ryanair allowing people to go through the check in gate and then having them to queue on a staircase with the door at the bottom closed should be stopped. You are basically left in a potentially dangerous situation. You then have to walk to the plane and queue at the bottom of the steps until the staff are ready to let you board.
That’s probably the most annoying feature of all for people who pay to make the other painful elements go away.

The practice of Ryanair allowing people to go through the check in gate and then having them to queue on a staircase with the door at the bottom closed should be stopped. You are basically left in a potentially dangerous situation.
How exactly is that situation "potentially dangerous"? Or any more so than waiting in any other part of the airport? Also, I doubt that this practice is unique to Ryanair. I'm pretty sure that I've experienced it with many other airlines in many different airports.

As a regular user of Cork Airport, I solve this irritant by looking out of the window at the plane and waiting until the herd is released from the corral and allowed to start moving towards the plane; only then do I stroll through the boarding gate. The plane won't leave without me and my seat is reserved. But perhaps this isn't possible in Dublin?

As a regular user of Cork Airport, I solve this irritant by looking out of the window at the plane and waiting until the herd is released from the corral and allowed to start moving towards the plane; only then do I stroll through the boarding gate. The plane won't leave without me and my seat is reserved. But perhaps this isn't possible in Dublin?
It's mostly possible everywhere if you board last. Which is what we do. Depending on which airport sometimes there is not enough space for everybody to be in the stairwell/airbridge.

Now that they restrict cabin bags there is, in general, no longer a worry of finding a place for the 10kg. Though it puts added stress on the staff as I've frequently seen them having to solve the issue.

I am probably one of the most compliant people when flying Ryanair (or any other airline). I turn up on time, everytime. If I have a carry-on case and seats booked I put the carry-on case overhead and any other carry-on stuff underneath the seat in front. If I haven't any seat booked with carry-on case with seat booked @ €50 per trip I put my carry-on light bag under the seat in front of mine. Most Ryanair flights are under 3 hours so it makes no big difference is Mrs Lep is sitting in some other range of seats.

If somebody asks me to switch seats I usually do. Like I said I am always a quietly compliant passenger.

Enter the screwballs who don't give a whit about anybody else. They may be asked by the cabin crew not to eat nut based products as there is somebody on board who has an allergy to nuts (not unusual). The screwballs ignore the pleas of the cabin crew and eat the nuts anyhow. Usually, they leave dreadful messes where they are seated and expect the clean crew to clean up their mess. Then we have the brigade who are travelling as a group and not only do they expect overhead space for their cases, but also for the rest of their carry-on stuff and refusing to place it underneath the seat in front. That reduces the amount of overhead space for other people who have paid for carry-on cases. These scenarios I come across all the time. If people could remember that usually the front of the plane arrives at the same time as the back of the plane and use good manners we a could all have more enjoyable flights.

How exactly is that situation "potentially dangerous"? Or any more so than waiting in any other part of the airport? Also, I doubt that this practice is unique to Ryanair. I'm pretty sure that I've experienced it with many other airlines in many different airports.
Well I’ve seen older people becoming faint or desperately needing the toilet, especially in, say, Faro or Malaga.

I’ve also seen people freezing early in the morning in Dublin.

I have never seen it anywhere else, e.g. on low cost carriers like Southwest, Easyjet or Jet2.

Back