Ryanair. Booking of seats.

IsleOfMan

I recently booked a flight to Majorca for 2024 with Ryanair.

I normally pay extra to sit in a row toward the front of the plane.

During the booking process I noticed that the additional cost for my chosen seats was €9 on top of what I was already paying. After I chose my outward seats I got a pop up box asking me would I like the same seats on the return journey. I have never noticed getting this pop up box before and I have already flown with them 8 times this year. Is this a new thing?

I just clicked "yes".

When booking with Ryanair I always keep a running tot of flights, priority, seats etc.

I noticed that the Ryanair tot did not agree with my tot. I couldn't figure where the difference was until I noticed that I was being charged a different price for my exact same seats on the return leg. A higher price than the outward journey. I hadn't noticed this because I thought it easier just to click "yes" on the pop up box.

I have noticed on all my flights that the "extras" are never the same. I have paid up to €18 to sit in a certain seat but I have also paid as little as €5 to sit in the same seat. Now it appears it can be different for the outward journey and the return journey, and if you click "yes" on the new pop up box you don't notice this.

Also the "priority with two bags" charge seems to vary all the time.

I am often drawn in by the lower ticket price but I wonder if the "extras" are then higher on the lower ticket prices?

I don't recall seeing the popup with seats but I have noticed different prices and a lot also depends on the distance; The further the distance the higher the cost. Eg a year ago my extra for baggage was €80 for a bag both ways to Spain whereas the UK is usually under €20. Seat prices vary also when you try and book them afterwards but can be sometimes cheaper. I guess the rule with RA was always check each price.

What’s becoming more of an issue (and getting more publicity) is eejits not paying for seats and then hassling people to move so they can sit with their family/friends/etc.
But dont they allocate a seat number when you check in?
Hassling after that point should not happen if the seat number is on the boarding card

This is all normal with Ryanair, a particular flight has x pricing, the return leg, is a different flight and can be lower, or, higher, for seats, bags, priority etc.
Better to check each single flights first, to avoid any surprises.

I am often drawn in by the lower ticket price but I wonder if the "extras" are then higher on the lower ticket prices?
Yes this is true. And yes you need to be careful that you click each extra separately. And yes seats on an outward can be a different price to an inward, same with bags. As I can't fly without luggage, and do not wish to be put on row 5 middle seat with my husband in row 29 window I pay for seats.

There is a full inclusive price at the beginning, but it can be more expensive, by a few euros than booking each item separately.

But dont they allocate a seat number when you check in?
Hassling after that point should not happen if the seat number is on the boarding card
What they're referring to is a growing phenomenon worldwide with low cost airlines charging premiums for pre-check-in seat allocation.

Two people or a family travelling together don't pay for assigned seating, at check-in they are allocated seats in different parts of the plane. Then, once on the plane one of them goes to where their companion is sitting and starts asking people sitting beside them to move to their allocated seat.

All the fun went out of flying a long, long time ago (thanks ryanair) It is human nature though, when people tell you the story of them not paying for seats, and then swapping easily, you can see the glee in their face of having one over on everyone else, or having got something for free when all the other suckaaas paid. They don't ever think that its really only the cost of an in flight drink and weigh that against uncertainty, risk, stress, hassle etc etc

I despise paying for every little extra on ryanair, but would only not pay for a seat if I was 100% prepared to sit anywhere and with whoever.

I don't stand in a queue for over an hour waiting to board either, and stroll in when the queue is dead. Alas, my seat is always there, and theres always room for my bag. People queue because they see other people queing, and they panic that they are somehow missing out on something.

It really is always worth looking at any other airline that flies to the same place. Doesn't happen often, but on a few occasions, I have found cheaper elsewhere, and its always a bonus, and worth a small premium, to fly with anyone other than ryanair (for me anyway)

What they're referring to is a growing phenomenon worldwide with low cost airlines charging premiums for pre-check-in seat allocation.

Two people or a family travelling together don't pay for assigned seating, at check-in they are allocated seats in different parts of the plane. Then, once on the plane one of them goes to where their companion is sitting and starts asking people sitting beside them to move to their allocated seat.
BTW, its not only "low cost" airlines. Do you consider KLM/Air France low cost ?........passengers >12yrs can be allocated seating anywhere on a plane even if booked with same ticket/booking codes.

In my experience (spanning over 25 years) Ryanair is almost always excellent - it's usually some of the other passengers that are the problem.

Mind you, I once took them to the Small Claims Court - and won! (The news of my historic victory even made the Evening Herald!)

Alas, my seat is always there, and theres always room for my bag. People queue because they see other people queing, and they panic that they are somehow missing out on something.
Absolutely not. If you board last, quite often you will find that you cannot get a space for your hand held luggage overhead. I have seen people having to put their cases overhead, quite a distance from where they are sitting. Doesn't bother some.

All the fun went out of flying a long, long time ago (thanks ryanair)

Agree with this. It was much better when no one could afford to fly and the flight from Dublin to London was the most expensive flight per mile in the world.

It was so much more fun getting the bus to Dun Laoghaire and boat to Holyhead and then the train overnight to London.

Ah the good old days before Ryanair brought in cheap flights and ruined all the fun.

Brendan
Full disclosure: Ryanair shareholder who hates long ferry and train journeys

BTW, its not only "low cost" airlines. Do you consider KLM/Air France low cost ?.
Fair enough they're not as cheap as others, but if they're charging for seat allocation then they've made the decision to adopt the low cost model.

Back