Revisionism gone crazy

We'll agree to disagree on most of what Sunny has said but it's gone away from the issue that brought me into this debate which was around the pulling down of statue by what I consider a mob.
Robert Peel, him what did start the first Metropolitan police force in the world, brought in Catholic Emancipation, repealed the Corn Laws, banned women and young children from working in mines, introduced the first modern Income Tax in Britain (for those earning over £150 a year) and lots of other things such as founding the Conservative Party out of the remnants of the Tory Party, said that "agitation is the marshalling of the conscience of a nation to mold its laws."

Peel is probably my favorite British Prime Minister and possibly my favourite british politician.

Robert Peel, him what did start the first Metropolitan police force in the world, brought in Catholic Emancipation, repealed the Corn Laws, banned women and young children from working in mines, introduced the first modern Income Tax in Britain (for those earning over £150 a year) and lots of other things such as founding the Conservative Party out of the remnants of the Tory Party, said that "agitation is the marshalling of the conscience of a nation to mold its laws."
Peel is probably my favorite British Prime Minister and possibly my favourite british politician.

And what do you think would have been his reaction to say, a mob pulling down a statue of Clive of India?
Would he have considered that legal agitation, and what would his police force have done?

And what do you think would have been his reaction to say, a mob pulling down a statue of Clive of India?
Would he have considered that legal agitation, and what would his police force have done?
I don't know and we can only speculate but [broken link removed].
That said given Clive's legacy of famine, corruption and murder and given Peel's position on such things in Ireland I'd like to think he would have been a fan of Clive.

Last edited:
I don't know and we can only speculate but [broken link removed].
That said given Clive's legacy of famine, corruption and murder and given Peel's position on such things in Ireland I'd like to think he would have been a fan of Clive.

Maybe he wouldn't have put up a statue to him, however I can't imagine him allowing police to stand idly by while mob takes over.
You're the one who brought Peel into it, you'll have to do a lot more to convince me that by agitation he meant direct action of this sort.

Maybe he wouldn't have put up a statue to him, however I can't imagine him allowing police to stand idly by while mob takes over.
You're the one who brought Peel into it, you'll have to do a lot more to convince me that by agitation he meant direct action of this sort.
I don't have to convince you of anything. I am merely expressing my opinion. You are entirely free to agree o disagree with me.
As to Robert Peel's influence on British policing you can read Hugh Ordes view on that here.

I don't have a favourite British PM funnily enough :)
But each to their own I say!

It's enough to cause bar fights... in the Simpsons at least!
Lord Palmerston vs. Pitt the Elder

Back