Radiator problem

Same problem here. Pulled pin up but no go. Rad has been off for years. Bled it and that is fine. Any idea anyone?

Are both valves fully open?

As per Maddad, is the pin moving freely?

A rad is a circuit, interuppt anywhere on circuit and it goes down.

If there is no or little heat I would first check at valves.

Turn off both valves, rip nut on both sides that attach rad to valve body. Do it quickly. When disconnected lift rad and thumb ends. could need two people. Once both sides are blocked. flip it upsidedown (make sure vent is closed!).
This is how to remove a rad without draining it, however you could always drain it into a pot/basin first and then remove :).

I would then get my bucket basin and turn on valves, note volume (if any) that comes from either valve. If both valves run freely, wait until you get hot water from both side.

Empty rad and refit. turn on valves and vent.

Thanks Davy. Of course it makes sense! I'll do that and post later ..... hopefully with overcoat hanging up:)

Same problem here. Pulled pin up but no go. Rad has been off for years. Bled it and that is fine. Any idea anyone?

There is always one in the house that does not work. It is sometimes required to bleed the radiator completely, (do use a bucket to catch the water or you will end with a flood) and fill it up again. Be carefull though as sometimes the water that comes out could acctually suddenly be hot. Also if you do bleed a radiator the pressure should be checked (of the whole system) as some systems do not replenish themselves and will have to be done manually.

this may have to be done more thatn once and not one after the other either. Leave it, check the system, if hot water comes out of the radiator you more than likely have it fixed.

Next time when you get your boiler serviced, ask also for a print out of the boiler emmissions, and get the system checked by the service engineer, this should be part of the job. There is plumbers that service the boiler and a service engineer that will check the whole system too. Including all radiators in the house and the pressure. A commen myth is that radiators should be shut off, but it is always better to have them on slightly, it is also good to get the system balanced.

Hope that answers your question.

OK DavyJones! Got a new valve body and everything is working perfectly. Thanks.

I have a similar problem, I live in a 3 storey house and the rads up the Top barely heat up - they heat up a little but no where near as hot as the other 2 levels?

I have a similar problem, I live in a 3 storey house and the rads up the Top barely heat up - they heat up a little but no where near as hot as the other 2 levels?

Could be one or all of these three things:

1 System needs to be balanced
2 System needs to be pressurised and upper rads vented.
3 System pump needs to be turned up.

I would try 1 first. Get an adjustable spanner and close down the valve on rad you can't twist by hand. the principle here is , that rads closest to boiler heat up quickest and hottest. Water will always follow the path of least resistance
So, turn down all rads on ground floor and repeat on first floor. The second floor rad valves should be fully opened.

This may take trail and error until you get the right balance.. We use laser stats to take readings and can get it spot on. you will have to trust your hand.

Give it a shot and let us know how you get on.

Back