Key Post Pre-NCT tips and FAQ

Sue Ellen

Moderator.
Read through the [broken link removed] from which the following checklist is derived:

What to bring with you

1. Identification e.g. Driving License
  2. Vehicle Registration Certificate
  3. The fee for the test

How can I best prepare for the NCT

Please prepare for the test by ensuring that:

Official Checklist

1. Your car has adequate oil and water.
  2. The boot is empty and seats are clear of personal belongings such as removable baby seats. If the baby seat is left in the car for the NCT, it will be checked that it is fitted correctly.
  3. The vehicle is reasonably clean (especially the under body).
  4. The wheel hubcaps are removed (only in the case where the wheel nuts are not visible) and the tyres are inflated to the correct pressure.
  5. The engine is in a fit state to be tested e.g. Cam belt/timing belt. You may be asked to sign a disclaimer at the test centre.
  6. Seat belts and clips are fully visible.
  7. Your registration plates comply with current regulations.
  8. NCTS recommend that you have your lights checked and set prior to the NCT.
  9. Please ensure the person who brings the car for inspection brings identification with them in the form of a driving licence as failure to provide the required identification will result in the vehicle not being issued an NCT certificate at the time of testing.
  10. Please ensure your vehicle is at a normal operating temperature prior to arriving at the test centre for inspection.
  11. Don't forget to bring your vehicle registration book, registration certificate or licensing certificate and your test fee!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Pre-NCT tips Work-in-progress.

Some FAQs from AAM:

1. Should I wash the car?

Most people would appear to say yes and if possible do the underside as well. Can anyone tell dumb Sue Ellen how to do this :eek:

Update: Some carwash services e.g. Topaz - do this.

2. Do I always need to bring the Vehicle Registration Certificate and Driving Licence?

Yes for both.

3. Do I need to remove the hub caps?

From the NCT site:

Ensure the wheel hubcaps are removed (only in the case where the wheel nuts are NOT visible) and the tyres are inflated to the correct pressure.

4. Do I need to fasten all rear seat belts?

Yes. Make sure all rear seat belts are visible/on display/belted and include central rear belt which is one that some people forget about.

5. Should I set the beam adjustor?

Yes if there is one set it to 0. See this post.

6. Should I check the NCT certificate carefully after passing?

Yes. Taken from this post:

"One thing check the cert after. They had the odometer reading as 10,000 more then it was (slip of the finger on the keyboard) but if I didn't cop it and look for a change it might have looked like the car was clocked further down the line".

Last edited by a moderator:

... do the underside as well. Can anyone tell dumb Sue Ellen how to do this :eek:

If you mean doing it yourself on flat ground, you would need a 'longish reach' power washer that can be angled to do the underside but commercially, many garages/tyre outlets advertise underbody washes using either this method or a ramp to enable access to the underside for more standard spray washers/brushes.

I can't find my Vehicle registration form and my test is due on Thursday. Will they refuse to do it?

2. Do I always need to bring the Vehicle Registration Certificate?

To be on the safe side it would probably be best to do so but it would appear that they only need to see it the first time you bring your car i.e. after change of ownership etc.

I can't find my Vehicle registration form and my test is due on Thursday. Will they refuse to do it?

I have done many NCT's and have never been asked for the cert. The last time I went they even asked "Mr O' Sullivan ?" when I approached the desk. All of them were the first time I had brought the car for NCT.

All you really need is the car !
if you know the reg number then thats even better.

Hi

I've just rang the NCT office and they said they only need the cert if there's a problem with the chassis number and even they you get 20 days to produce it.

Quick query please: do I need to show that I've got the emergency triangle (the one to be put on the road a few meters before the car in case of sudden stop in a risk area) and the yellow plastic jacket to the NCT? Can that be a reason to fail? Thank you so much!

Neither are part of the test nor is there any law in Ireland to have either in your boot.

Have there been any developments to this since 2009? The NCTS page seems the same.

Is there anything new to watch out for and do before an NCT?

Good advice from [broken link removed]

Best NCT tip - forget about services/washing etc., Just get the NCT done, fix the things they tell you to fix (if any) and go back. With any luck it'll only be a visual inspection, and no cost or at worst you'll have to pay €28 re-test fee. Still cheaper than anything else you might do.

Read through the [broken link removed] from which the following checklist is derived:

1. Please ensure the person who brings the car for inspection brings identification with them in the form of a driving licence as failure to provide the required identification will result in the vehicle not being issued an NCT certificate at the time of testing.

Does this mean anybody can bring the car to be tested for you. E.g. one of our cars is registered to my OH - can I bring the car to the centre?

Does this mean anybody can bring the car to be tested for you. E.g. one of our cars is registered to my OH - can I bring the car to the centre?
You can bring your OH's car and your own D/L plus the documentation the vehicle registration book, registration certificate or licensing certificate and your test fee!

Best NCT tip - forget about services/washing etc., Just get the NCT done, fix the things they tell you to fix (if any) and go back. With any luck it'll only be a visual inspection, and no cost or at worst you'll have to pay €28 re-test fee. Still cheaper than anything else you might do.

My opinion too, I decided recently to do nothing to my 13 year old Toyota other than checking the bulbs, wiper blades, seat belts etc., it failed as the centre brake light in the back window was not working.

The left one was working, the right one was working, I was not aware of a middle one, I suppose because, as it was broken, it didn’t light up.:rolleyes:

Got a bulb in the nearby petrol station and had the car back for a visual 25 minutes later and got my cert.

I was asked as usual for the Registration Cert, and my driving licence.

they told us they couldn't do our test as we had a tiny amount of dog hair on the back seats. we had hoovered them but there were some left. they stated cross contamination and we had to reschedule for another day.

they told us they couldn't do our test as we had a tiny amount of dog hair on the back seats. we had hoovered them but there were some left. they stated cross contamination and we had to reschedule for another day.

Seems a bit OTT. We have two dogs who travel in the boot so its covered in dog hairs. We hoover it as much as possible but definitely would not be able to remove all hairs. I often wondered if they would mention anything about the dogs but nothing said.

I'm a firm believer that the €10 spent on the best of the car washes usually in Topaz because it includes the underside of the car, is money well spent. I know if it were me I would prefer to work on a clean car.

Last edited:
I had a good set of Bridgestones all around and I failed because of a small 3 mm nick in the side wall, it was not even through to the canvass, check your tyres carefully.

Did both of ours recently and passed. As you say has not changed much over the years.

I do still think not bothering with a pre-test is the best route and make sure to clean the car thoroughly especially getting the car wash with the under carriage being washed.

Back