Key Post Pre-NCT tips and FAQ

Have your car emptied of everything inside, out of manners alone the car should be clean. My sister failed hers because of dog hair and had to reschedule the test for another day. I took a look at hers before the test, told her about the smell of dogs from it but she never got the smell at all, didn't put in any fragrance or fabreze, but the car wasn't in any way dirty. I just wonder was it the smell that failed the test?

I've never been asked for the Vehicle Registration Certificate. Do you really need to bring this? Not sure where it would be, tbh.

But it is no big deal to bring the VRC , just in case. It's better to have it that need it.

I always keep my VRC in the file with the insurance documents but I spent 2 hrs yday looking for a VRC for a car I am scrapping, I cannot believe that I cannot find it as my filing is system is good, or was anyway! So annoyed that I will have to get a replacement one costing 12 quid just to be destroyed and that's not even the biggest nuisance, garda has to sign form and I have to send off cheque or postal order with it! The cost and hassle of getting draft/postal order, surely in this day and age there should be an online option.

Anyway I have never been asked for VRC other than when I brought someone else's car for NCT, it's like once it's your own car they don't bother but if someone elses it's another check I presume.

Its quite an important document to have misplaced, surely its needed for eventual sale of car.
Yes, it is indeed important. I don't remember it being a big issue last time, when I was trading in rather than selling.
Anyway, I don't have any short term plans for changing, so I'll see if it appears in the meantime.

Back