Post 1995 Supplementary pension query

That’s great news, have been following with interest some of the information here as there appears to be a concerted effort to keep details of right s in these areas away from workers. I’ve found a lot of conflicting information and no clear way to actually find out an individuals right.

My spouse is in teaching and post 95, pre 2004 so early enough to be entitled to the 55/35 rule, so she can retire at 55 with full pension (at whatever years she has completed then). however she is supplementary pension also and some advice variously claims she won’t get that part until 60, or 65, or 66. It appears to be advisors getting the 55/35 mixed up with other types of retirement. However it appears impossible to get cast iron proof of what her entitlements are. Has anyone any way to find that out? It’s 10+ years out for us, but we are starting to plan around it now.

My spouse is in teaching and post 95, pre 2004 so early enough to be entitled to the 55/35 rule, so she can retire at 55 with full pension (at whatever years she has completed then). however she is supplementary pension also and some advice variously claims she won’t get that part until 60, or 65, or 66.
As she is pre-2004 it is certain that she will not have to wait until 65 to avail of the Supplementary Pension (as long as she meets the standard conditions).

I cannot say with 100% certainty that she will not be eligible at 55 but I am fairly confident that she will not become eligible until 60. Although teachers of that era can optionally take retirement at 55 without actuarial reduction the "normal retirement age" for the scheme remains at 60. It is "optional retirement" rather than "normal retirement" and Supplementary is not payable before normal retirement age. The exception would be in the case of approved ill-health retirement - but only if the person does not qualify for a Social Welfare payment, which would be unusual.

Back