Politicians - the next generation

D8Lady

Please allow me a little rant...

I had a knock on my door from a would be city counsellor. She is the daughter of the sitting TD.
This is the third politician-to-be who is the relative of existing TD doing the rounds for the locals. Every single party is doing it.

I know we have a history of "inheiriting" seats but this is just nuts. She said that she was brought up with it. Given the current state of things, its not a proud boast. It's political inbreeding!

It is time for something different. Running the country is too important a job to be left to politicians.
We really need a different system of governance. We should adopt the latest technology, and see if we can find a solution.

Please allow me a little rant...

I had a knock on my door from a would be city counsellor. She is the daughter of the sitting TD.
This is the third politician-to-be who is the relative of existing TD doing the rounds for the locals. Every single party is doing it.

I know we have a history of "inheiriting" seats but this is just nuts. She said that she was brought up with it. Given the current state of things, its not a proud boast. It's political inbreeding!

Simple solutions:
1. Don't vote for her.
2. Go forward for election yourself.

It is time for something different. Running the country is too important a job to be left to politicians.
We really need a different system of governance. We should adopt the latest technology, and see if we can find a solution.

i don't quite follow - how do you mean adopt the latest technology to find a solution?

how do you mean adopt the latest technology to find a solution?

Maybe he means some sort of advanced automaton politician?

- but they will probably be a bit monosyllabic, won't really function or make proper decisions themselves, will probably lack human 'vision' to make long terms plans and will only be interested in quick fixes, and will act only in the interests of self preservation, not for the good of the country.

Oh, hang on...

Or possibly Clubman.

It's easy to say-'go forward yourself' but of course to stand a good chance of being elected one should be nominated by one of the larger parties, and they tend only to nominate, well you see the point.

It's easy to say-'go forward yourself' but of course to stand a good chance of being elected one should be nominated by one of the larger parties, and they tend only to nominate, well you see the point.

Indeed. That still leaves option no. 1. :)

Simple solutions:
1. Don't vote for her.
2. Go forward for election yourself.

1. You betcha!
2. Actually - I was involved a bit in a party but saw the way things with family ties etc;). Obama would not be possible in this country. But I didn't push it. The level of abuse politicians get on campaign is awful, I wouldn't be able to take it.

On a more serious note, how could we get any change when it means literally going against your parents? We're potentially just in for more of the same.

Thing is, politicians are voted on based on their popularity (normally), not necessarily their credentials.

I was asked to actually run for office from a friend (whos big into politics and wanted to be my campaign manager). His main arguement was that I am really a very good speaker and can relate to crowds.

I talked to one or two people who have been involved in politics and confirmed what I already knew. While its not all full of corruption, its near on impossible to be a politician without giving up your principles or ideals. You cant be a successful politician without thinking about the next election. Joe Public have as much to blame for this as the parties that "canvas" for support by offering Joe Public the answers to all their problems (as opposed to sitting down and going through all the real issues that need long term solutions - until its too late!).

So to be a successful politician you need -
  • alot of money or funding for canvasing
  • to be a good speaker
  • to have a relative who once took up a position in that area
  • to be able to give bareface lies to the general public
  • have to be able to make promises that you have no intention of keeping, just to keep people happy at a given time
  • to be willing to make decisions based on what you know is probobley wrong long term, just to keep your job
I would say you need at least 3 of above to be successful in politics these days . .

• have to be able to make promises that you have no intention of keeping, just to keep people happy at a given time

Isnt it very sad that these points are part of the "check list."

Isnt it very sad that these points are part of the "check list."
And the funny thing is that, in a democracy, they are the peoples representative. You get what you deserve. There's a reason a guy like Jackie Healy Rae is the South Kerry representative and Eamonn Ryan the South Dublin representative and not visa versa. And you'd have to wonder about the people of North Tipp.

Plus you have to let on to be interested in everyone's little problem.

While we dream of saving the economy, most of us would be sick to the teeth of attending funerals, plamasing idiots, and getting potholes filled, drains unblocked, street lights fixed etc etc, - hardly affairs of the State but there you go, such is Ireland.

And the funny thing is that, in a democracy, they are the peoples representative. You get what you deserve. There's a reason a guy like Jackie Healy Rae is the South Kerry representative and Eamonn Ryan the South Dublin representative and not visa versa. And you'd have to wonder about the people of North Tipp.

But the people in these areas tend to do quite well out of their representatives and like every other area they only care about their immediate surroundings.

Michael Lowry does quite a lot for North Tipp, he certainly does more than our other FG backbencher and FF junior minister. I suppose he has all the contacts plus that's all he has to concentrate on, he doesn't need to take instructions from a party whip except on major votes.

I realise the noble thing is ask our TD's to concentrate on legislation and go ahead with programs in the national interest even if it negativly affects the local area. It doesn't work like that, you might call people selfish or maybe NIMBY's but you'd do the same realy

The guy is no danger of losing his seat if he keep doing what he does best

So to be a successful politician you need -
  • alot of money or funding for canvasing
  • to be a good speaker
  • to have a relative who once took up a position in that area
  • to be willing to make decisions based on what you know is probobley wrong long term, just to keep your job
I would say you need at least 3 of above to be successful in politics these days . .

Don't forget the ability to convince the public that the current problems (whatever they may be) are the fault of the 'opposition' or 'external factors that you had no control over' rather than your own complete ineptitude and lack of vision.

One persons view of a check list.
Tbh, I'd hazard a guess that it's many, many peoples view of what politicians are good at....and not much more.

Basically as the saying goes, "If you want to be a politician, you should by definition be prevented from ever becoming one"

Maybe a jibe that Dublin voters don't do ever do this.

Obviously never heard of Tony Gregory and the "Gregory Deal" in 1982 for Dublin Central
No independent TD will probably ever achieve such a deal again.

1. You betcha!
Obama would not be possible in this country.

Mary Robinson? Mary McAleese?

Not going to happen for Taoiseach though because the system is very very different. The Taioseach would need to be nominated by a vote of Fianna Fail members and elected by an election.

In fairness to the children/family of politicians running for office, they grew up in politics and around elections, probably canvassed for their relative so are used to knocking on doors and the family name means that if their relative did a favour for a voter in the past, likelyhood is that it will be remembered.

Doesn't just happen in Ireland either, what about the Kennedys and Roosevelts in the US?

Back