Patronising People in Business - "thanks for that, good girl!"

Re: Patronising People in Business

Doesn't normally bother me I must say, I did have one old guy who used to just refer to me as 'lady'. He'd come into office and say "hey lady where's the boss man" Now and again he'd call me 'deary'. Good times! :D

I think its probably ok in the plural. Around here you'll often hear (or I might even say) So how're the girls? which doesnt sound too bad I think.

Often the Cork thing creeps in for the craic - an exaggerated "Alright girl, hows the form?"

I think it more when its one to one, and maybe more so on the phone, it could be a problem.

Best/worst put down I've heard of (2nd hand) was: Hush now, Daddy's talking.
You'd either do your nut or sigh in a stoic manner if hit with that one !!!

I work P/T in a shop and am often told "good girl" usually by the old farmer types. It used to make me blink but not now.

I laugh when the mammies tell their children to "put it on the counter for the girl!" (I'm nearly 40)

Last night an older gent said "Matha, Colleen" then explained to me what it meant (I'm scottish) I know him from the shop, would never think to be insulted at all.

My boss calls us "my love" when he's in good humour, no one bats an eye.

OMG! just remembered a story when I read the "daddy" post above. Guy comes in and asks if he can put up a poster. He looks a bit "hippie, long hair, friendly. I check it out, it's a personal counselling service. I quipe "I could use some of that"

He steps back, opens his arms wide......"Come to Daddy"

*coughs* "Just stick it on the notice board, thanks"

Good girl Sharon!

I actually thought that was what he said but had a look at it on youtube and he says 'good girl' only

Slightly off topic but could watch The Commitments, The Snapper and even The Van any number of times and still laugh my head off.

Sans a great girl alright. Good girl Sandrat, get Lex his chips.

Slightly off topic but could watch The Commitments, The Snapper and even The Van any number of times and still laugh my head off.

Fav lines out of the Snapper are

" Get off the road you dozy B****x"

And

" Snip Snip Mr Burgess"

Classic

Oh and to keep on topic. Saying Good girl = Bad :)

I actually thought that was what he said but had a look at it on youtube and he says 'good girl' only

I'd say you're thinking of the haunting, echoing "Are ya alright there Sharon?"

Fav lines out of the Snapper

I love when the Da is drunk, after getting into a fight, practically in tears saying "you'll be waitin' a long time for any gratitude in dis house"

and the 'culchie' desk cop at the station eating the sandwich being asked about who would be dealing with whatever, saying "eh...that would be himself"

:D

On the subject of great/funny lines:

"She broke my heart now I want to be sedated,
all I wanted was to see her naked"

From the song "The girl all the bad guys want" - recent US, "college" style song

On the subject of great/funny lines:

"She broke my heart now I want to be sedated,
all I wanted was to see her naked"

From the song "The girl all the bad guys want" - recent US, "college" style song

What about the Whitesnake song with the line, "Lie down, I think I love you!"

Think it was in the Commitments - one fella talking about the other fella who was off the booze...
"He's off the stout so long his sh*t's turning brown again"

classic!

no chips here just caramalised apple pork chops with roasted spicy potatoes

Back