Operation Gridlock

I see guards on many junctions and roundabouts on my way to work, but I still haven't seen one doing anything.

As much as I agree with the poster who made a remark about one person eing in each car, there isn't much we can do about it. What are the chances of any of my neighbours in Co Kildare working in Sandyford, the same hours as I do and one of us never needing a car during the office hours so that we can car pool? Slim to none! Furthermore, if I were to use public transport, I would need to leave my house at about 5am and wouldn't be back until about 9pm. It takes me about an hour and 15 minutes each way and as much as I find sitting in traffic frustrating, at least it takes me a lot less time to get where I'm going than using the alternative.

I see guards on many junctions and roundabouts on my way to work, but I still haven't seen one doing anything.

Really? My ones do a kind of funky chicken dance that appears to have no relevance to traffic signals of any sort. The one on the other junction I pass is usually texting or looking at the sky for inspiration.

As much as I agree with the poster who made a remark about one person eing in each car, there isn't much we can do about it. What are the chances of any of my neighbours in Co Kildare working in Sandyford, the same hours as I do and one of us never needing a car during the office hours so that we can car pool? Slim to none!
You're missing the point. If you want to find reasons not to car pool, it's not hard. If indeed your expectation is that your car pool will match all the flexibility of having your own car, it definitely won't work. But if you really want to find a way for car pooling to work, you can do so. Maybe you could limit your trips during the day to 1 or 2 designated days per week? Or maybe you could travel by taxi, which is a more practical option if you are travelling around town anyway. Maybe you could fix your hours for 1 or 2 days a week to synch up with your neighbour, and do extra work at home in the evenings if necessary. If you want to make it work, you'll find a way.

The problem with the gardai seems to me to be that they keep over-riding the traffic lights. All they should be doing is stopping cars going through on red & amber, and just leave the traffic lights look after the rest. That's what they're designed to do, and most of them on major routes work in sequence. But it's the amber- and red- jumpers who clog up the junctions and stop the system working properly.

Back