Operation Gridlock

truthseeker

Does anyone find that there is any improvement in traffic due to Operation Freeflow?

From my point of view it makes things much worse. There is one junction in particular that I use going to work in the mornings and the road up to it is around a mile long. On an ordinary morning the traffic is backed up around a quarter of a mile, then the guards arrive to man the junction and the traffic stretches back the full mile!!!

Right there with you - took me an hour this morning when it usually takes 20mins or thereabouts. Same yesterday. Wasters.

coming through whitehall yesterday about 10 cars were in the bus lane, the guards did nothing! There were two guards who knocked on the windows of some of the cars, the cars stayed in the bus lane! It is infuriating! we obeyed the law and stayed out of the bus lane until it ended and we could turn right. So annyoying!

I listen to Dublin City fm whilst driving home and find it to be excellent for traffic reports. In case you are unfamiliar with it, they transmit from The Dublin Traffic Control Centre from 4pm to 7pm. They utilise their traffic cameras and if you send them texts about traffic bottlenecks they have been know to give you more "green time" on request.

The DJ (John Neary) is a funny chap and plays good music also.
103.2fm

They report in the morning also.

I found that 'Operation Move out of Dublin' worked excellently for me. I'm hardly ever stuck in traffic now.

I don't live in Dublin, but have visited it a few times over the last year or so.

I could not believe how shocking the traffic jams were in parts of the city - you would be quicker walking in many areas.

From what I saw it is now probably worse than many European capitals that I have seen, except these places have better public transport and even tubes.

There is going to be no decrease in congestion until people either start using public transport more, get charged for having only one person in the car, get charged for entering the city limits, or the Gov bites the bullet and do what they should have foreseen years ago - build an underground.

I thought operation freeflow hadnt started yet? In my area the guards are apparently in training. Took me 45 mins to get to work today - most it has ever taken is 16mins!! I watched the guards today. They stopped the cars everytime a pedestrian came to cross the road. There's pedestrian lights there so theyd obly have to wait 3-4 minutes anyway. The guards also wont let cars pull up at the primary school - instead they have to park 5mins down the road - not sure what thats achieving. Hope it improves next week.

Freeflow (or noflow!) began this morning - journey time from Drogheda just under 2 hrs......journey time last Friday from Drogheda 1hr 20 mins. Need I say more!:rolleyes:

Is there any way of the general public giving feedback to the guards about this joke of a system?

Short of pulling up beside a guard at a hopelessly blocked junction and explaining that theres normally only a few cars there?

What are they basing their success rates on?

Everyone in my office was late this morning due to this mess.

I don't live in Dublin, but have visited it a few times over the last year or so.

I could not believe how shocking the traffic jams were in parts of the city - you would be quicker walking in many areas.

From what I saw it is now probably worse than many European capitals that I have seen, except these places have better public transport and even tubes.

There is going to be no decrease in congestion until people either start using public transport more, get charged for having only one person in the car, get charged for entering the city limits, or the Gov bites the bullet and do what they should have foreseen years ago - build an underground.

Couldn't agree more. The amount of people who use cars for short journeys is shocking. i have a colleague who complained bitterly today that it took 90 minutes to travel the 2 miles from home to work.

Walk or get a bus so!!

i have a colleague who complained bitterly today that it took 90 minutes to travel the 2 miles from home to work.

Walk or get a bus so!!

Exactly! I find that hilarious - is this person that lazy that they would rather endure 90 minutes of frustration than a 20 minute walk?

(Am assuming of course that they are physically able to walk this distance - maybe they are not)

Exactly! I find that hilarious - is this person that lazy that they would rather endure 90 minutes of frustration than a 20 minute walk?

(Am assuming of course that they are physically able to walk this distance - maybe they are not)

Yep nothing wrong with this person.

The secretary in our Dept recently insisted that she must get a taxi to travel half a mile to another office as she would "get too tired" walking. She's not ancient BTW - in her 30's.

Maybe I just work with exceptionally lazy people??

I think that we now live in a society that has the attitude "I have paid for my car so I am going to use it".

And this is fair enough - but as long as you are happy to sit in traffic for ages.

I can understand the problem though for many. A lot of people don't have a bus/train stop near them, and would have to walk quite a distance to one (and over the winter its handier to just get in your own car).

Plus they then might have to walk quite a bit to their place of work when they arrive. Again in snow and rain!!

But I would like to see more initiatives for car sharing. The next time you are in a traffic jam take a look around at the number of cars with 1 person in them. Then imagine the number of cars taken off the road if every car had 4 in it. It would make a massive difference. Yet very few employers try to start up car sharing schemes. Perhaps with the wealth now in the country larger employers shoudl look into starting their own bus service?

Me, I'm just so happy that I live 5 miles from work and it takes me 10mins to get there !!:p

I think that we now live in a society that has the attitude "I have paid for my car so I am going to use it".

This isn't necessarily true. I would be delighted if I lived within 20mins/30mins walk of work. I did without a car until I was 26, and would have lasted longer only three months of using public transport in the south west drove me to buying a car. It was either that or the loony bin. Our transport system here isn't too far off the standards of our health system. The word for it rhymes with 'light' and begins with an 's'.

Maybe I just work with exceptionally lazy people??

There's a shop just down the road from me. It's so close that walking probably takes the same time as driving, once you pull out of driveway, park etc...

I generally drive to the shop and I'm in my thirties.
Conclusion is that cars make people lazy. I'm getting fatter too.

The secretary in our Dept recently insisted that she must get a taxi to travel half a mile to another office as she would "get too tired" walking. She's not ancient BTW - in her 30's.

This gives me the impression that you work in the Dept of Transport, where the secretary is female and in her 30s or 40s. DoT also has a number of builidngs around the city centre which are all within a mile of one another......the irony

This gives me the impression that you work in the Dept of Transport, where the secretary is female and in her 30s or 40s. DoT also has a number of builidngs around the city centre which are all within a mile of one another......the irony

Could she not just be any office secretary??? Why jump to the conclusion that it is the Dept of transport???

Back