On strike tomorrow but not happy!

Thats a generalisation. There is enough in the proposal to debate without going down the usual road of back and forth insults.

For me I can't see how the proposals will work for the frontline staff in a way that would be acceptable to the public.

Never meant to insult anyone, just providing a reputable link to back up my point, which seems to be warranted these days

Firefly

If you heard of a factory shutting its doors for two weeks and telling its staff they wouldn't be paid for those two weeks, would you go around saying 'lucky them, they're getting more holidays'.

Talk about insensitive.

I don't think unions look for a mandate for each strike day. My union IMPACT certainly don't work this way. The vote for strike action taken a few weeks ago was general, rather than limited to specific days or dates.

So at what point does a vote to strike expire, as such?

Do the unions have to give official notice that strikes from a particluar ballot will NOT take place any more then?

Please excuse my ignorance in this area.

I think its kind of ingenious in a way TBH.

Will it not be a bit of logistical/admin nightmare though?

This option was explored in the HSE about a year and a half ago and from what I remember it was the who is and who isn't front line staff that caused the difficulties.

Unpaid leave allows people to claim the dole for these days - no different to any other employees on short weeks.

Not if you pay a modified PRSI stamp. I pay this stamp and have no entitlement to this form of social welfare.

So at what point does a vote to strike expire, as such?

Do the unions have to give official notice that strikes from a particluar ballot will NOT take place any more then?

Please excuse my ignorance in this area.
Don't know, to be honest. I can't remember exactly how it was phrased on the ballot paper.

Very democratic

It is important that we get a very high turnout in this ballot and also that members vote overwhelmingly in favour of the protests and industrial action campaign.

No pressure then!

Exactly!! Watch how the government pander!!!

Will it not be a bit of logistical/admin nightmare though?

This is true. Unless they cut everyone's pay by 4 or 5% (whaterver the 12 days relate to) and spread it out over the year. It would then be left to individuals to organise their 12 days at loacal level.
They do something like this for term time. Parents take unpaid leave during the summer but their pay is paid over the year pro-rata.

Firefly

If you heard of a factory shutting its doors for two weeks and telling its staff they wouldn't be paid for those two weeks, would you go around saying 'lucky them, they're getting more holidays'.

Talk about insensitive.
You would if the factory simultaneuosly had to fullfill orders which necessitated the same employees working overtime to make up for hours it was shut, or if you were a senior employee nearing retirement age with a defined benefit pension.

I think that's a closer analogy.

Then your gripe is with frontline staff. In my Department we certainly won't be getting paid overtime, I can assure you. It's very unfair to make out that this will be available to everyone. A huge majority of us are just losing the pay, full stop so my analogy is closer to the situation for most people.

I don't have a gripe with front line staff. I just don't think this will bring about any savings there.

In other areas there will be savings but these short term savings will of no concern for anyone nearing retirement as their final salary, ignoring unpaid days, will be what is taken into account.

This leads on to those already retired. With benchmarking their retirement packages increased in line with existing staff. A pay reduction would have had the opposite effect. This "days off" garbage has no effect on them. The exact same scenario as the Pension evy.

And a straight paycut would be much harder on existing (not entitled to any overtime) public servants. Surely the bigger picture here is immediate savings accompanied by a real incentive to buy in to reform and restructuring of areas of the public sector that need to operate more efficiently. Going back over 'well, this should have been done before..' is pointless. There's lots of things that 'should have been done', including many things for which people in the Private Sector are responsible. We are where we are and need to move on in a way which will achieve results and cause the least amount of suffering possible.

Firefly

Talk about insensitive.

People in the private sector are being let go, having the hours reduced, put on 3 day weeks etc, so why not apply the same in the PS if the employer (government) can't afford it?

To add, I wouldn't be saying lucky them they have more holidays, I'd welcome to the gang!

Eh, we are having our hours and pay reduced and you seem to be annoyed by it.

Eh, we are having our hours and pay reduced and you seem to be annoyed by it.

Point taken, it's the uncertified sick leave that gets me though. I think there needs to be reform big time here. Perhaps uncertified sick leave should be unpaid?

Well, this has been widely discussed on other threads so no point in going over it here. Just to point out though, we are allowed a maximum of 7 not 11 uncertified days.

Well, this has been widely discussed on other threads so no point in going over it here. Just to point out though, we are allowed a maximum of 7 not 11 uncertified days.

Whether you're allowed 7 days is irrelevant, the report states that the average taken was 11. Anyway, the concept of allowed uncertified sick leave is absurd imo.

Agreed on leaving it there though as not relevant to title thread.