On strike tomorrow but not happy!

Anyway, the concept of allowed uncertified sick leave is absurd imo.
Perhaps you should let the many private sector employers who offer uncertified sick leave know about their absurdity. I've always had reasonable uncertified sick leave in my (most private sector) career. It is not unusual.

Whether you're allowed 7 days is irrelevant, the report states that the average taken was 11. Anyway, the concept of allowed uncertified sick leave is absurd imo.

Agreed on leaving it there though as not relevant to title thread.

They said the average amount of sick leave taken (not uncertified sick leave) was 11. Again, the accuracy and detail of this and factors to be taken into account has been widely discussed elsewhere and can easily be located. I really don't think this thread needs to be dragged down that road.

Then your gripe is with frontline staff. In my Department we certainly won't be getting paid overtime, I can assure you. It's very unfair to make out that this will be available to everyone. A huge majority of us are just losing the pay, full stop so my analogy is closer to the situation for most people.

liancon is correct. In my former life working for a Government Dept I was never paid overtime and had no entitlement to overtime, regardless of how many hours worked. My impression is that the core civil service has a lot of atypical conditions such as no such thing as overtime and obligations to "get the work finished" no matter how long it takes. Its not unusual for some parts of the civil service to be working 60 hour weeks for no extra pay. On the other hand, it seems like a lot of quangos and other parts of the public service (usually the parts that are politically connected) are rife with overtime, extra attendance payments, allowances, sick leave etc. etc. The big losers in this are the core civil service.

liancon is correct. In my former life working for a Government Dept I was never paid overtime and had no entitlement to overtime, regardless of how many hours worked. My impression is that the core civil service has a lot of atypical conditions such as no such thing as overtime and obligations to "get the work finished" no matter how long it takes. Its not unusual for some parts of the civil service to be working 60 hour weeks for no extra pay. On the other hand, it seems like a lot of quangos and other parts of the public service (usually the parts that are politically connected) are rife with overtime, extra attendance payments, allowances, sick leave etc. etc. The big losers in this are the core civil service.

That's very much my impression as well.
In Animal Farm parlance; "Civil Service good, Public Service bad". ;)

Apparently Thursday's strike has been averted - or at least deferred until after the budget. Official announcement soon - if not already. Agreement in principle around the area of 12-20 days unpaid leave - details to be ironed out.

Back