Non residents - risk of no ARF option

I have also recently found the article on changes on ARF taxation and Im shocked that revenue now that pension contributions is obligatory since 2024 has done nothing to resolve this mess on ARFs for non nationals or nationals looking to retire abroad.To transfer your pension abroad before you retire is the answer in paper however it cannot be done today with many EU countries coz the benefits need to be similar n that does not happen with countries like Spain or France (ive done some research on it).

Currently pension groups only do transfers with the UK. I cannot confirm this 100pc but i have been told already by 2 schemes they dont provide the service and that they dont know who provides it in Ireland. To do a transfer within the EU is too complex and thats why no provider wants to do it unfortunately.

I have also recently found the article on changes on ARF taxation and Im shocked that revenue now that pension contributions is obligatory since 2024 has done nothing to resolve this mess on ARFs for non nationals or nationals looking to retire abroad.To transfer your pension abroad before you retire is the answer in paper however it cannot be done today with many EU countries coz the benefits need to be similar n that does not happen with countries like Spain or France (ive done some research on it).

Currently pension groups only do transfers with the UK. I cannot confirm this 100pc but i have been told already by 2 schemes they dont provide the service and that they dont know who provides it in Ireland. To do a transfer within the EU is too complex and thats why no provider wants to do it unfortunately.
Yes, it’s terrible, isn’t. All these people who got tax relief from the Irish State are being prevented from transferring their pensions out of Ireland and trousering the cash tax-free.

ARF it before you go and while you have an Irish address. Then pay your taxes in Ireland where you got the tax relief.

Yes, it’s terrible, isn’t. All these people who got tax relief from the Irish State are being prevented from transferring their pensions out of Ireland and trousering the cash tax-free.

ARF it before you go and while you have an Irish address. Then pay your taxes in Ireland where you got the tax relief.
I'm good with that as long as you dont get landed with additional tax liabilities in the country you move to which I suspect is not always the case.

Back